Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stira or alternative?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭

been thinking for a while about getting a stira or similar in to make use of attic space?
    stira looks like costing around 500. have seen alternatives from DIY stores for 100 and another company offering them fitted for 350 www.atticstairs.ie

has anyone used this company?? i am not too excited about spending 500 on stairs to attic to be honet only ue it few times a year at the moment . however, if the above comapanies product is not a good standard then i might.
    any first hand opinions greatly apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

BQ sell Stira lookalikes cant rem the price but under well under €100, if you fancy doing yourself. Fakro is another make stocked by builders merchants.

I think Fakro have a fitting guide

http://www.fakro.co.uk/loft_ladders/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks . is the quality of these products as good as stira? there is a big price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The generics such as fakro are fine.

Ive seen them on offer for 89 euro.

Please dont go fitting them yourself. This is a job for a good carpenter (i dont like the term "qualified" as i know alot of **** carpenters with papers)

If fixed incorrectly to the joisting its a dangerous stairs.

NO FEAR of me fitting it myself:D i want to get job done right including the tidying up around the opening after.
    the opening there at moment is 28 inches by 28 inches . ceiling is 7 foot 9
    is this about standard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I paid €99 for a "Stira" in Dairygold two years ago, quality seemed fine.
    It'll feel weak when you take it out of the wrapping but it'll firm up perfect when fitted and it's not rocket science to install one imo.
    I put in my own,but Iwouldn't like to start doing it professionally as it took the bones of 5 hours.
    Architrave was the hardest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

staker wrote: »
    and it's not rocket science to install one imo.

Yea, its not at all difficult to put up, however im always reminded of the aunt of a friend of mint that broke her back when she climbed one of them and it collapsed on top of her.. Personally i dont know how - but when you see some of the work done that ive seen people do.. anything is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

They are pretty easy to fit.

But its a two man job. You will need a helper to help with the lift and eyeball the margin.

PM me if ya want step by step instructions.

The type with the springs not fitted are a bit more fiddly to fit.

Its important to go up into your attic and measure in between your ceiling joists.

If its a 600mm attic stairs, it will be to big for most houses. This size are the ones on sale most of the time.

Any experienced chippy will be more than capable of it. I do them for 260 fitted. (as long as there is not joists to be cut). Im sure others in your area would price similar.

2 batons ,a few big 5x100 screws , packers and architrave are all ye really need

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I got one of these from Valentine Ladders in Ballymount a few weeks ago very happy with it and the door etc includes insulation might be worth giving them a call they have a few to chooes from depending on your price range.

http://www.valentineladders.ie/de-luxe.php

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I bought a 99 euro one a couple of years ago and it took two of us to get it up.It still works o.k but the trapdoor,which is made of MDF, has sagged over the length and no longer closes up to the rubber seal.I now have to straighten the door by bolting steel box section to the attic side or make up a new door.I would definately be comparing the quality rather than price if I were to buy another one .

thanks i dont think ill get one of the very cheap ones. rep from attic stair company mentioned above coming out friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

km79 wrote: »
    thanks i dont think ill get one of the very cheap ones. rep from attic stair company mentioned above coming out friday

dont do it man. You will over pay for Stira.

have a look at these. Most building providers sell them.
    I have one. All my neighbors also have them.
    http://www.dolle.dk/english/produkt2.asp?type=1

they cost around 130 at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have a Dolle stairs which I fitted myself, in my opinion they are of better quality than some of the other brands on offer and they are very good value I reckon (less than €130 now I'd say). Stay away from the light aluminium types, they are quite flimsy. It's a job for a carpenter or a very competent DIYer; however if the ceiling joists have to be cut then there's a good deal more work required (ply sheeting will need to be screwed down to restore the integrity of the trusses. My ladder frame was just a tad oversize so a little bit of planing was required. I've only ever seen an actual "Stira" installation once and I was disappointed with the quality of the actual ladder itself (timber sections seemed a a bit scant for my liking, but this was a few years ago and maybe things have improved since then).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've had a Stira for about 15 years, or whenever they first came out, it is still solid, and works perfectly. It is quite a substantial piece of structure, but is easy to pull down and put back. A rafter had to be cut to install it, but there has never been any suggestion of weakness or stress as a result.

was into local co op. they have a brand call OMAN ? anyone any experience of these

had guy out from attic stairs company. there is a problem . our house is a dormer and attic opening is towards back of house so roof is very low over it. basically he said when attic dood closed hinges extend upwards and this means a rafter would have to be cut. they said they will not install because of this

Advertisement