Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollerblading or longboarding?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to boards.ie. I'm 31, make and trying to lose weight. I'm eager to take part in pretty much any physical activity so as to burn calories and get fitter.

I cycle and I play the occasional soccer and tennis and also go jogging and brisk walking quite regularly. I absolutely love skiing but unfortunately that's more just a holiday than a sport if you're living in Ireland. :(

I was thinking of taking up rollerblading too as another alternative. I live near the Phoenix Park, which is ideal for this. I have never rollerbladed before but I'd say I'd be OK at it.

Is it OK to take up rollerblading as an adult? Yes, I've heard all the jokes about rollerblading being 'gay' etc but apparently that's thrown around by skateboarders as I've come to realise there's a lot of friendly rivaly between the two factions! :p The reality is, I think it's too late for me to take up skateboarding or even longboarding at my age now. I've never ever skateboarded in my life before. I was going to take it up as a kid but never got around to it and then skateboarding went completely out of fashion. Nobody did it where I lived anyway. The reality is that I think it's still acceptable for me to take up rollerblading, whereas starting skateboarding at 31 would just be odd. I also think rollerblading is much faster and perhaps more fun as a result. I have no interest in hanging out with the teenagers in 'skate parks', so this is another reason why I should probably go for rollerblading as opposed to skateboarding.

Am I right in thinking that?

Do any other adults on here (male and female) go rollerblading?

Advertisement