Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Dell XPS 420 - PSU help

Options
  • 10-08-2010 5:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Oh folks of hardware wisdom, I need advice. :D

I have a Dell XPS 420. Works fine, but I want to upgrade my video card. I was hoping to install an Asus ENGTX480 card (Nvidia GYX480). This, however, requires 8-pin and also 6-pin power.

I only have a 6-pin power supply within my Dell.

So, how hard is it to upgrade my power supply? What should I get?

From reading in a few places, Dell machines are very fussy about the power supplies you can install in the machine. Can anyone recommend a 650/750w power supply I could use?

Any help would be brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

do you know what power supply is in it at the mo if you can post the model number of the power supply we might be able to help a bit more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

375w power supply in it now.

Model - L375P-00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

First, the stock power supply in the XPS 420 is a bit taller than the standard power supply, but all of the screw holes still line up, you'll just have a small amount of space open in the back, which isn't a big deal. Second, there are a lot of cables coming out of the power supply. I pretty much just have the extra cables tied up sitting in the case, which hasn't affected my heat very much, but I would strongly suggest looking into a modular power supply (which is where the cables are separated from the power supply and you connect as many as you need).

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/gaming/f/3344/p/19265921/19455492.aspx

How much are you willing to spend?

Here's the current PSU.

4879861312_1c0903b381_d.jpg

Yeah, I browsed some of the Dell site info. Most, obviously is US based. They seem to advise going for a Silencer 500 Dell PSU. They seem very hard to find to buy in Europe though.

I was looking at a Corsair HX650, but from browsing the Corsair forum, some people have problems connecting corsair PSUs to Dell machines.

I was hoping someone in Ireland (on boards) would have experience of doing this, before I spend money and have problems.

I don't mind the cost, but was aiming at around €150 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I had a look around and you seem to be ok with regard to compatibility ATX PSU. It was the older dells which forced you to buy their PSUs. The only main thing you have to worry about is to make sure that whatever you choose works with the airflow of your case.

People using various PSUs with the 420.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19069609/19245407.aspx
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19338404/19719640.aspx
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19069609/19245407.aspx

• Advertisement

wait on Solitaire to see this thread he,s a great man on psu,s but you maybe able to get away with your current psu with an adapter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm guessing you didn't read the OP massy... want to try running a GTX480 on a PSU that maxes out at 30A? :pac:

I have to ask the question: why a GTX480 in a XPS420?! Is the case even big enough?! And would it even be any use if you have an old single- or dual-core CPU lurking in there?! :o

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPspciMos4bmQ1zhrgzPOxzUzb2VriEu0fGrYcF5SQcqDgJxU&t=1&usg=__iP2f5zS9WlLotswic3fDrk40Ssc=

ye not one of my better moments lol. did them xps420,s not come with q6600 in them no????

Solitaire wrote: »
    I have to ask the question: why a GTX480 in a XPS420?! Is the case even big enough?! And would it even be any use if you have an old single- or dual-core CPU lurking in there?! :o

It's a quad core CPU (Q6600). It came with a GEFORCE 8800GT video card but the card has died. I do a lot of digital editing, so might as well get the extra video power.

Yep, the case is big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Paulw wrote: »
    It's a quad core CPU (Q6600). It came with a GEFORCE 8800GT video card but the card has died. I do a lot of digital editing, so might as well get the extra video power.

Yep, the case is big enough.

My memory aint the best on these dell systems but the XPS last time I checked had horrible airflow and you will want to cool that 480 unless you need a room heater ! They are built to run hot but that doesnt mean its optimal for the card (or anyone in the room !)

• Advertisement

so would an58## not be a better option runs cooler and not even as power hungry ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

massy086 wrote: »
    so would an58## not be a better option runs cooler and not even as power hungry ?????

Na, the 480 is better because of CUDA support

I prefer nVidia, but also need dual DVI output. I use a dual monitor system for photo editing.

My new video card and PSU are due to arrive tomorrow, so will update as to how well the go and fit in to my system.

Thanks for the comments. It should be interesting.

Ok, final update.

I added a Corsair TX 650W PSU and an ASUS ENGTX480 graphics card to my machine.

All working great now, and the GTX480 isn't as hot as I actually expected.

Advertisement