Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public bar

Options
  • 10-08-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi

We are hoping to remodel an very tiny public bar that we have in the family. Is there any specific document we could go to to get an idea of what might be sufficient in relation to toilet requirements etc based on numbers of people using the premises etc. Just basics to see if this is a runner before we get an architect on the job.
    I know an architect would look after all this but its just that I am interested in this kind of stuff & wouldnt mind working out a proposed layout myself to give an idea of what we would like. I want to have it kind of right though or else Im wasting my time.
    This is a tiny premises & the area taken in by toilets in critical so good design is v important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The metric handbook should have what you need, but if design is critical in this case I would leave it to the professionals. Call a good Architect or Architectural Technician.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you local health board usually can give you advice re sanitary requirements etc.

i agree with PUT above in that if its a tight space its better to leave the 'designing' to the professionals... they can create space where there appears to be none...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 L_Bonn

Thanks,

Ive come up with a reasonable design for the pub with 2 toilet cubicles for ladies & 1 toilet plus urinals for men which will be more than sufficient for the numbers of people. My question now is related to disabled access toilets.
    We have had a provisional discussion with an architect and as we are altering the size slightly, she outlined the requirements for planning, fire cert & some certification in relation to disabled use. She indicated that we will need to make the toilets wheelchair accessible.
    Is this a strict requirement given that this is an existing business with limited space. We will need a major rethink to get the toilets on entrance level as they are currently in a raised area.
    I fully understand the need for an architect on board but again, the more info I can gather the better. Are we looking at having to provide the disabled access toilet for certain. Obviously it is a good improvement to make but my parents are only interested in doing the alterations as easily & cheaply as possible while keeping as much open floor area as possible while from the initial meeting with the architect, she would be more inclined to go for a complete redesign.

Thanks again,
    Metric handbook is very useful too.

Advertisement