Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hourly rate for a young lad doing some gardening?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

I have a young lad (neighbour) doing some gardening work for me (strimming mainly), whate the going rate per hour (cash) for an 18 year old doing some work for a neighbour these days>?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

mind the cash word revenue could be on !
    tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How many hours work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    probably about 8 - 12 hrs over 2 days, at say 10e per hour, woudl that be about rright, i want to be fair to him, hes a nice young lad, but at the same time, dont want to ovoer pay him...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

IMO,a tenner is a bit much,,,but I'm a stingy ****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Why not base your final figure on how good a job he does?

If he does a really good job over the two days, then give him €10 per hour, but maybe agree on a slightly lower figure before the work starts, that way he gets the extra bit if you are happy with the work.

Fair play to the kid for wanting to earn a bit of extra cash by working for it rather than looking for it from his parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

give him 100 and if its good job tell him you'll spread the word that hes good and maybe more work for him during the summer .
    He will be delighted with that
    Fair play to him I say more young lads should be doing this instead of getting involved in crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

ask his parents how much they think you should give him.

If its over the top then ignore them , it it seems accecptable then add a small bit more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I wouldn't pay him by the hour, he could take forever :)

i'd pay him for the job. €50, €75, €100. What ever fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

will he paint a fence? send him over when ur done if he will :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 paddytheboy

I agree with those saying to base it on how good of a job he does and that you'll pass it on if he does a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I agree with those saying to base it on how good of a job he does and that you'll pass it on if he does a good job.

Agree anywhere between 70-100e would be more then fair he be will chuffed with a 100e fair play to the young lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Paying €10 per hour is madness. The minimum wage is €8.65 per hour.

As a poster said above price it based on the job itself. That way he can't drag it our for more money. And yes that does happen. Also is he using your garden tools or his own? If they are your own pay less.

How big is the area that you are getting cut? I wouldn't dream of paying a young lad €70-€100 to do a bit of strimming. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

kilburn wrote: »
    mind the cash word revenue could be on !
    tenner

per hour or in total???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

banjobongo wrote: »
    I have a young lad (neighbour) doing some gardening work for me (strimming mainly), whate the going rate per hour (cash) for an 18 year old doing some work for a neighbour these days>?

maybe you should advise him he could get a fulltime job in mcdonalds for more than you are willing to pay him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

maybe you should advise him he could get a fulltime job in mcdonalds for more than you are willing to pay him.

Curious to know what is going rate at McDonalds if somoene
    was to start? is it above min wage ?

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

i would give him a tenner an hour but not tell him before hand, that way he wont drag it out.
    Lets face no one likes gardening and its hot out !

kilburn wrote: »
    i would give him a tenner an hour but not tell him before hand, that way he wont drag it out.
    Lets face no one likes gardening and its hot out !

If he did 12 hours it must be worth at least 70e and if he did a good job a promise that when the grass grows back he can do same again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ask his parents how much they think you should give him.

If its over the top then ignore them , it it seems accecptable then add a small bit more to it.

And give approx. one third of the wage to the parents incase he forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

YFlyer wrote: »
    And give approx. one third of the wage to the parents incase he forget.

ah yes , mothers tax

ah yes , mothers tax

In my younger days I remember mammys tax been as high as 50%......

All I got from her was a bed, food, clothes washed & dryed & Ironed, cleaned my room , give me loans to go out on the beer...the cheek of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

id say 50 quid a day would suffice. 100 quid for the 2 days work. he'll be happy out

Advertisement