Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I wait for heating?

Options
  • 10-08-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Folks

I'll be looking to start alot of woodwork in the next few week i.e. windowboards, doors, floors, stairs etc. The concern I have is that I probably wont have any heating on by then.

The house is well dried out, plastered over 6 months and screed will be down about 17/18 weeks by the time I'm starting.

Should I hold off and get heat on before I start, would there be an issue in putting in the woodwork and getting heat on after? Whats the best way to go about it?

Any advice appreciated.

Bull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Bull,

I can't say for definite but I had floors poured about 6 months and plaster on walls about 2 months before my heating went on and there was still a LOT of moisture on the inside of the windows every day for about 2 weeks after the heating went on...

Maybe a carpenter on the site may give you a conclusive answer.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I didn't wait, and everything worked out ok - no wood warping or cracking. I borrowed a small oil filled electric heater and had it in my hallway - set the timer to come on for 15 minutes every hour. It cost about €100 over the space of a month in electricity, but was worth it to keep work moving. You could actually feel the heat in the house when you opened the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Cheers for replies guys. I'll see how things go over the next few weeks. But I might just fire ahead with work if heating isn't on. Will look into your option too rellig.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

what type of timber are you using? for floors do a test to check - anyone who puts down wooden floors without a simple test should be shown the door.

Also remember wooden floors need to sit in the house out of their packaging for about 2 weeks prior to being used.
    When you switch your heating on turn it on a low heat - 15-16 degrees for a few weeks to allow the house to dry our further without causing too many issues.
    Also if its your own house put the base coat of paint on now before timberwork starts - water the paint down by 20-25% as this will soak in better.

But given the warm weather we've had you should be ok.

Advertisement