Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants in the UK ???

Options
  • 10-08-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I am a mature student (29) and I have recently finished a 2yr full time course in IT
    Carlow, I had been receiving the back to edu and maintenance grant for the duration, which allowed me to study and pay rent and cover the costs of college. I was studying physiology with the view of going to the UK to study physiotherapy once I had completed the course, I had based all my income and expenditure on these figures.

Now the gov decide to take away one from those two have had both the back to edu and maintenance grant:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. I have been accepted to and am due to start mid sept
    , but my finances have been seriously cut.

Can anyone tell me am I entitled to anything else other than back to edu ? I have seen student loans in the UK that do not have to be paid back until you have found employment after you graduate.

Trust the gov to cut hit the people trying to better themselves so they wont have to be stuck in cue waiting on hand outs ..

Please help ??

Der.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think that you may be entitled to the maintenance grant but not the BTEA - I don't think you can get BTEA if you are studying in the UK - Try the BTEA helpline 1890 927 999 - also in Ireland there is a 'student assistance fund' not too sure if they have this in UK - maybe contact the University and the Students Union in the University
    Also you might consider applying to your local credit union for a loan

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sports physio

I have been approved for the BTEA for the uk, think I will just apply and see,, the assistance fund is ONLY for uk students.

Advertisement