Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JF Broad Curriculum

Options
  • 10-08-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, Im starting JF Hist & Pol Sci this year. I was wondering what the deal is with the cross faculty courses in broad curriculum, can i take these courses or is it restricted to the language modules?
    Also, the modules only seem to run in 1 term, what do you do for the rest of the year if you drop a certain subject to do one of these courses?
    Im a mature student returning from being off books on medical grounds so i have done some of the classes ill be taking already and would rather swap them if i could. especially sociology.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

From what I know of the system you can do whichever module you want within reason ie: French students can't do French, law can't do law etc etc (Although that may have been obvious)

Being a science student some 3rd years took my geology course, from their experiences it would appear that you just have a 35/25 or 25/35 split on the credits and nothing else. Try emailing your course director or tutor if you've been assigned a new one yet and explaining the situation. They'll likely know a lot more than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I don't think you drop a subject to do BC, you just have a slot in which you have to do it. That's how it was for JF Psych anyway. Some of the courses are year long, that makes no difference. I did one which was 2 hours a week all through the year, whereas some are just for 1 semester and are worth the same.
    And definitely do avoid the language modules if you can. They're really awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You may or may not be allowed to do BC in JF...I did it in 3rd year last year (compulsory) and the second years of my course did it (not compulsory)but we were told from the start it's not encouraged in 1st year for most courses. It depends on your timetable whether they can slot it in anyway. I couldn't do Criminal Law and got psychology, even then it clashed and took a lot of doing to get it to work and it didn't in the end. Still did psych, was amazing. If you look them up a good few will tell you when they take place which is handy, I doubt they change much year on year. You don't drop a subject as such, it generally takes the place of an options course.

Advertisement