Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boylesports Shops - Bets still accepted

Options
  • 09-08-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wondering what everybody thinks of the new 'bets still accepted' info in Boylesports shops?

I have noticed that you can still place a bet in a 5f race until about 3f left. I think its very handy if you are backing a front runner or if you just want to make sure your horse is jumping ok. (usually still accepts bets for the first few hurdles)

I have noticed that the staff don't like it though as some of them have purposely delayed taking my bet until 'No more bets' is displayed and then told me I was too late.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

do the same meself in pp,very handy for backing front runners and making sure your horse gets out the stalls:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Handy for making sure it gets the break esp for newcomers. Not really fair on the staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

It helps in the big fields over a longer distance too. For example in an 18 runner race, you can see a) if your horse has a clear run and b) if he is jumping well. I don't understand why nobody else seems to take advantage of it. Surely it gives the punter a huge edge that they didn't have before.

It didn't realise PaddyPower did this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Paddy's have been doing it for months.
    Boyles started a couple of weeks ago.
    Apart from Betfair, nobody else does it.
    As thesandeman said, handy when you see if the horse gets out or not, having said that though, if a horse doesn't get out or gets left behind the
    "no more bets" comes out fairly sharply.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Paddy's have been doing it for months.
    Boyles started a couple of weeks ago.
    Apart from Betfair, nobody else does it.
    As thesandeman said, handy when you see if the horse gets out or not, having said that though, if a horse doesn't get out or gets left behind the
    "no more bets" comes out fairly sharply.

What gets me is that the hardened regulars don't seem one bit interested in taking advantage of it. Perhaps they would just prefer to be sat comfortably in their seat for when the race begins. But to me, it's just another example of how by being smart (and it seems just like common sense to me) you can take advantage of certain situations that the regulars up and down the country might overlook. If everybody did it, there would be a queue and 'bets no longer accepted' would appear before you got served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's a good idea to use this. However, if anything apart from the norm happens after the start then the no more bets is applied fairly quickly.

I remember getting badly burnt by this though a few months ago. Twist Magic was running at Sandown against inferior horses. However he had refused to jump off at Punchestown earlier in the week. The fairly big risk of him not jumping off again was reflected in his price (13/8 iirc). So I waited until he jumped off and then waded in heavily. He proceeded to run a stinker. Serves me right I suppose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

Ha got stung on the Magic that time too, everyone in the shop was waiting to run to the counter if he jumped off, we all got on and thought we had pulled a fast one :(

Advertisement