Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesle engine help!!

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hey guys, any diesel mechanics about? I need a bit of help :(

e36 318 TDS

Excellent body condition, flecks of rust here/there, all electrics & original bmw alarm all working 110%. Bought a month ago.
    Was stood for over a year (last tax ran out 07/08, nct ran out 09/09)

Gave her a recent full service, new glow plugs, oil, air, fuel filter, drained the diesel tank too for good measure.

Problem 1:

She starts fine in under 2 seconds when shes cold, a little bit of white smoke but not too much that I'd worry about, She's a diesel after all and no smoke when shes running/idling.

But whenever shes warm & I kill the engine (eg goin ito a shop etc.) & then come out & try to restart her, she keeps turnin over for about 5/6 seconds and then eventually kicks into life & launches a big plume of smoke into the air. I dont pump the accelerator at all when trying to start her.

Smoke is slightly blue in colour. Mate said its from the car flooding the engine with diesel when turning herself over & trying to start. Problem only really occurs when doing a warm start. As i sad, small bit of smoke & starts fine when cold, but difficult to start & big plume of smoke when warm.

Problem 2:

Whenever I'm driving her, she idles about 800-900 rpm which is fine, but occasionally whenever I'm reducing speed & going down through the gears to stop, the revs usually drop completely & the car dies.
    (Happened once while I was dropping down to turn right &was almost left stranded with no steering except I kicked her into like in 2nd)
    I've developed a habit of coasting to a stop from 3rd gear (I know its not safe but only way to keep her from dying :( ) and sometimes when I drop into neutral the revs drop down to maybe 300-400rpm & shoot back up to 800, sometimes when it drops to 300rpm the car dies altogether.

I'd imagine its some sensor such as an air flow meter or simlar, anyone know what specifically could be the problem?

Any ideas lads? Would love to sort this out!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 L_Bonn

That idling problem is very odd for a diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

My guess is an engine temp sensor is at fault. Since you mention
    it starts fine from cold, but once stopped. If you try to restart from warm you have problems.
    A diagnostic test should be able to help pin point the exact faultly sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Cheers lads, thanks for that. I reckon both problems are related then. Diag would tell me the problem, but I Was hoping someone could let me know if they know the problem, saves me forkin out cash for a diagnostic just to diagonse the problem.

Any idea how much a diagnostic would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Diagnostic price checks vary but i reckon €50 if you can get an indy
    garage or mechanic to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lube5150

heres something to try,a friend of mine had the same problem,car cutting out on idel,hard to start o when hot,i tried everything,new filters,you name it,but i did find a rubber seal on the stop valve on top of the diesel pump was split and letting in air,is yours the later type?,might be worth a try,i did cure the problem,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

lube5150 wrote: »
    heres something to try,a friend of mine had the same problem,car cutting out on idel,hard to start o when hot,i tried everything,new filters,you name it,but i did find a rubber seal on the stop valve on top of the diesel pump was split and letting in air,is yours the later type?,might be worth a try,i did cure the problem,

Yeah, was told that the problem could be air getting into the fuel injector which will stall it when decelerating & make it harder to start when warm, will have to check that out when I get the chance. Do you mean the diesel fuel pump in the tank or the diesel injector pump in the engine?

Was also told that the problem could be caused by diesel draining back into the tank when the car is turned off, thus starving the engine of diesel when trying to start her warm & hence why it takes alot longer to start.

Could I fit an anti-return valve ahead of the injector pump to stop the fuel draining back into the tank similar to this one: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220634352080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What do ye reckon? Thanks again for the help!

ps just noticed i misspelled diesel (diesle) in the thread title :rolleyes: how didnt I spot that....

Advertisement