Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 gets REALLY hot! Too hot??

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've noticed my iPhone 4 gets hot, like really, really hot when running some tasks. Today, using Navigon GPS while plugged in and charging in the car, after only 5 minutes, the phone was very hot to the touch.
    I'm not talking 'mildly warm', I'm talking HOT.The metal bezel was hot to the touch as was the whole back and even the front of the screen was starting to heat up also.
    After 10 - 15 minutes it was getting worse.
    I could hold it in my hand but to be honest it was a little uncomfortable. I don't have a case on it but I can only imagine that a case would insulate this heat and possibly cause more damage.
    I've definitely never used a phone that got this hot before, irrespective of make or model. Even my 3GS came nowhere near these temps when using the same apps.
    I've since noticed this evening that if I do some light photo editing in Camera+ or any of the photo editing apps for about 5 - 10 minutes, the phone is getting seriously hot, seriously fast.
    My guts telling me this is too hot for normal usage (GPS use notwithstanding).
    Its hot charging, its hot playing simple games and it seems any time the processor has to do a bit of marginal heavy lifting the phone goes into overdrive.
    I appreciate that the electronics are pretty crammed in there and that the ceramic/glass with the metal bezel distributes the heat outwards more obviously (or efficiently?) etc, but.... logic is telling me that prolonged usage at these types of temperatures can not be good for the phone. The battery life will suffer drastically at these temperatures, and possibly the logic board etc.
    Is anyone else experiencing the same? Have you noticed your iPhone 4 getting a little too hot for comfort? Could it be a defective unit?

Please note I'm aware of the distinction between 'warm' in certain areas (which I consider normal) v's 'hot', like, worryingly hot!

Or... am I totally overreacting?

Cheers,
    Q.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

I'm having serious overheating problems also nith mine, it gets real annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I notice if I leave the camera on it heats up alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Running apps (and leaving them running) will generate some heat for sure, so check that.

For example if the camera is left active for a long time it can really generate some heat, I recall that happening to me. I took it into an Apple Store I was worried about it - it was almost like it was burning a hole in my pocket and as I was getting on a plane it was scary. Genius bar said the first thing to look for was app activity (I am sure multitasking adds to the heat coming from the processor.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

uvox wrote: »
    Running apps (and leaving them running) will generate some heat for sure, so check that.

For example if the camera is left active for a long time it can really generate some heat, I recall that happening to me. I took it into an Apple Store I was worried about it - it was almost like it was burning a hole in my pocket and as I was getting on a plane it was scary. Genius bar said the first thing to look for was app activity (I am sure multitasking adds to the heat coming from the processor.)

All valid points uvox, but I'm comparing this to similar or identical usage with iOS4 on a 3GS.
    That's my benchmark.
    The 3GS got a little warm, sure, its to be expected, but, bottom line, excessive heat, and this is seriously excessive IMHO, is detrimental to a batteries lifespan, not to mention uncomfortable to use.
    I want to see from users here if they have noticed the same excessive heat with moderate usage, establish if there is a general consensus on this, if any, and then, if I should do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I should have added it drained the battery very quickly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have to say that my iphone4 is actually a whole lot cooler than my 3G S.

that being said i haven't been using my iphone 4 in 30degree heat :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My 3GS, in a case, running gps got very hot the other day. I assumed it was normal as the gps chip can work overtime....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah when im playing a game or anything for 30 mins+ the phone is absolutely roasting hot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mine gets a bit toasty, too.

Could be handy come the winter months, I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Does a cpu not keep itself constantly busy with the "idle" process (number crunching while not in use)?? If so then is it not always busy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Dades wrote: »
    Mine gets a bit toasty, too.

Could be handy come the winter months, I'm thinking.

I'm thinking of a new iPhone accessory that lets you use the iPhone as a heat source for a little hob type thing or toasting device.

You'll be able to fry an egg, make pancakes, boil a cup of tea or toast a slice of bread with your iPhone. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gekko wrote: »
    I'm thinking of a new iPhone accessory that lets you use the iPhone as a heat source for a little hob type thing or toasting device.

You'll be able to fry an egg, make pancakes, boil a cup of tea or toast a slice of bread with your iPhone. :D:D
    thinking this would look great on my desk in work.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/igrill.shtml

setup a remote desktop and use the iphone to start cooking my breakfast so that it's fresh off the grill when i get off the bus :pac:

Advertisement