Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering on Android FroYo

Options
  • 09-08-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a HTC Desire. For me tethering is quite important as I have a laptop and an iPad 16GB Wifi.

With the FroYo update is it necessary to jailbreak the phone if I wanted to use it for tethering? If it is necessary to jailbreak, how easy is this to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Not necessary froyo turns phone into WiFi hotspot, couldn't be more beautiful or simple

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As osnola said, no need to 'jailbreak' (called 'rooting' in the Android world) with Android 2.2. Simply toggle the built in option and hey-presto, your own personal wi-fi network.

No mess, no wires, no fuss. Anything that can connect to a wi-fi network can connect to your phone. Quite simply, it ****ing rocks.

...having said that, rooting the phone is stupid easy and adds some worthwhile capabilities. But a lot of what you would jailbreak an iPhone for is already available out of the box with Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Actually tethering using usb is better as it is completely transparent and has the advantage of charging your phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not as convenient through. And the OP's iPad doesn't have a usb port.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Thanks guys for all the feedback. You've swayed me in the direction of an Android phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement