Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Church, A Force of good or Evil ?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I came across this interesting video recently and it echoed what I have thought and felt about the Catholic Church for years. More recently, I believe that if there is an evil in this world, it emanates from this church.
    Let's bash the church :D

Is the Catholic Church a force of evil or good ? 8 votes

Good
    0% 0 votes
    Evil
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

They're like a corporation or political party, all about self preservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well the Catholic Church, along with most other faith systems are responsible for holding back human development. Not to mention the many scandals throughout its history. I think the church itself is 'evil', but I also think the people who have a genuine belief in that stuff, and strive to better themselves and their communities because of it; are good, but ultimately naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Well the Catholic Church, along with most other faith systems are responsible for holding back human development. Not to mention the many scandals throughout its history. I think the church itself is 'evil', but I also think the people who have a genuine belief in that stuff, and strive to better themselves and their communities because of it; are good, but ultimately naive.

fry takes a sectarian swipe at the 'Romans' yet woe betide anyone who critices his homosexual lifestyle.

the church is gone.are we really better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fuinseog wrote: »
    fry takes a sectarian swipe at the 'Romans' yet woe betide anyone who critices his homosexual lifestyle.

The church isn't gone though. Younger people may be leaving the faith here in Ireland, but millions more are being born every year in developing countries. The church has as much power now as it ever did before. What percentage of charities in Africa are not working in the name of a religious organization?

I don't think the disbandment of community level church groups etc is going to be of benefit to society, only a disconnect between them and the hierarchical canonical system can loosen the churches grip on people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

The huge wealth amassed by the catholic church over the years is against the very basic teachings of Jesus himself. It could probably end world poverty if it liquidadted its assets. It's what Jesus would do.

I've grown up indoctrinated with this religion and they attempted to brainwash me into believing that they are the sole arbitures for good moral judgement. They have shown the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

An awful organisation, just like all religious instutions.
    We'd be much better off without this shower and their counterparts in all faiths.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Fuinseog wrote: »

"I have no quarrel and no argument, and I wish to express no contempt for individual,devout and pious members of that Church."

Where's the sectarianism? He attacks the organization, not the people.
    And yes, woe betide anyone who attacks him for being gay, because that person is a dick.

He misfired on a few points, but overall, great speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Corrupt and cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Where's the conspiracy in this? Every time they haven't made an apology, a scandal has been exposed, a child has been abused, a priest has escaped prosecution due to the Church's power the institution has proved it is fundamentally evil. Very few people outside the Church's hierarchy are denying the evil that lies within, lay-Catholics included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

For me, the conspiracy is that the church is the source of evil that it claims to protect it's followers against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

The catholic church are a pack of hypocritical evil scum, don't get me wrong, there are good rc priests who are 100% genuine good people, but I lost faith in religion a few years ago, and gained faith in God, it's just the 2 of us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm going to leave this open as long as you all promise not to just turn it into a religion bashing thread (we have an atheism forum for that).

Try and keep your posts about the conspiracy put forward by TalkieWalkie:
    For me, the conspiracy is that the church is the source of evil that it claims to protect it's followers against.

In the interest of fairness here's the total debate that the op was taken from, so you can see both sides arguments. (well I think it's the whole debate. I can't actually view videos at the moment, so tell me if I'm missing something):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It being the worlds largest organised paedophiled ring one would expect it to be a force of evil.

Take a closer look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Again, big brush and a bucket of tar........

riddiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭joe12345

Where's the conspiracy in this?

Conspiracy = Bishops and peado priests coloudding for god knows how
    many years to COVER UP the abuse. Bishops not reporting abuse to the
    gards but just moving a priest onto another parish. Maybe even have the
    poor poor abused kids sign an oath of secrecy. Thats a conspiracy if there
    ever was one.

I agree it's fairly known and common now. BUt back in the 40s, 50s, 60s,
    70s and even 80s the priest was the cornerstone of the community. Back
    then if you were to suggest such a thing you would be outwardly
    condemned and told to go to confession and ask for forgiveness.
    A bit like if nowadays if you dare to suggest that your government arent
    really in charge but a secretive bureaucratic elite are pulling the strings
    on behalf of the big corporations :D

They got away with it for 40 or 50 years at least.... classic case of
    compartmentalisation !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

This might help put things in perspective

its nothing new, its not the last 50 years, its been going on since the beginning.

So in summation

EVIL

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

It has it's good and bad points. While I'm not a fan of the Catholic church, I wouldn't say it's "Evil". If you had "Somewhere in between" as an answer in the poll, I'd pick that.

EDIT: Or Atari Jaguar :3

Advertisement