Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3GS can't find wifi - advice please

Options
  • 09-08-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. On holidays in Blackpool and here my iPhone 3GS cannot pick up the wifi. Although it can find it when using dessid. I've heard of problems like this before so if anyone ever experianced it and knows how to fix it or have any advice can they let me know.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you say it cannot pick it up - can you see it listed and you just can't connect to it, or you just can't see it listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I mean I connect see any of the wifi things in the list but yet my cousin has an iPod Touch and he can find many different wifi things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

and let me guess, you are running OS 4.1 and your cousin is runing os 3.1.3 , right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Did you recently jailbreak?

and let me guess, you are running OS 4.1 and your cousin is runing os 3.1.3 , right?

Yes that's it exactly with me but not sure about my cousin.
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Did you recently jailbreak?

Well I bought it a week ago and cydia was on it when I bought it. Then I had to restore and update it so cydia is now gone.

Is there a way to fix these problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I think Apple would not call that a problem but then again nothing is ever their problem its always users fault . :D;):p

Anyway, what you described is “feature” of OS4.0, basically it will not see or not allow you to connect to so called “unprotected” network and that is network running WEP. Apple suggested solution is to switch your network to WPA security.

My Iphone on OS 4.1 wont connect to networks that are WEP but my wife on Iphone OS 3.1.3 connects no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I've always had problems with my 3gs picking up wifi, whenever i turn phone off it wont pick up any wifi at all.
    after many trial and errors i find to turn phone on, when it asks for pin to unlock phone, say no and go into phone without any network , reset network setting and it'll reset and restart, once again not entering pin and it should work then if its same prob as mine, i'm not technical at all and was going in circles trying to fix it and i self diagnosed it.

For some reason on mine if i enter pin first time i will never get wifi, then once wifi is running try to make a call and enter pin when requested.

Im running an unlocked jailbroken phone and this only started happening after the unlock.

Now i never let it go flat and do above when it does, all good in the world again.

Just wondering does anyone know if such an app is available. Basically instead of going to the settings and finding the wifi from there, is there an app that will let me do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know if such an app is available. Basically instead of going to the settings and finding the wifi from there, is there an app that will let me do it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's an app called SBsettings in cydia that allows something like this??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's an app called SBsettings in cydia that allows something like this??

Never heard of it myself but I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be jailbroken as I think that's why I have this problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement