Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A simple guide on how to update an Irish o2 HTC Desire to froyo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Good guide. Just a forewarning for those that want to root their phones, you're better off rooting your phone by unrevoked directly after flashing the 1.21 RUU. Rooting your phone once you've installed the 2.2 Stock update is a bit of a hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Hi there.

thanks for the guide. I was a bit afraid of rooting all along, but couldn't wait for o2 to release the firmware. I decided to take the plunge, but I am having difficulty at the start of the whole process in getting the CID of the card. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Does it matter what way you connect the USB (I have connected as disk drive)?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Manaris

Just a word of warning - If you have one of the latest batch of O2 desires (bought in the last week or so), it most likely has the SLCD screen (not the AMOLED)... the RUU file and update.zip in the guide has the AMOLED drivers, and if you flash your phone with them you will end up with a completely blank screen. Trust me, I inadvertantly did this on Saturday, and it was a nightmare to try and fix.

If you have a bootlader version of 0.83 you definitely have the SLCD screen.

I have the correct versions of the RUU and update.zip with the SLCD drivers, if anyone wants them, just PM me. I only bought my Desire from O2 last friday, and it is now running unbranded stock FroYo without an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

tipperary wrote: »
    Hi there.

thanks for the guide. I was a bit afraid of rooting all along, but couldn't wait for o2 to release the firmware. I decided to take the plunge, but I am having difficulty at the start of the whole process in getting the CID of the card. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Does it matter what way you connect the USB (I have connected as disk drive)?

Hi mate!

It shouldn't matter what way you connect your phone, although you must enable USB debugging, else it won't work. It's worth changing to MMC0 rather than the default MMC1. The alternative is to install the android SDK and try get it from there. PM me for details on that...

Alternatively, if people want to know that method (including mucking around with a HEX editor), let me know and I'll update the guide

Gar

tipperary wrote: »
    Hi there.

Hey, I also had trouble getting the CID, even with debugging enabled. It seems the adb driver wasn't installing when the phone connected. As a workaround I installed HTC Sync on my computer, which apparently includes this driver. Everything worked flawlessly from then on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Hey, I also had trouble getting the CID, even with debugging enabled. It seems the adb driver wasn't installing when the phone connected. As a workaround I installed HTC Sync on my computer, which apparently includes this driver. Everything worked flawlessly from then on. :)

Aristotle, thanks for that. That was the same problem on my own computer. Updating to froyo as I write!

Thanks to Igor420 too for giving the link to the 'how to'

Reckon there won't be much work done this afternoon:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

I can't get the 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe' to run.

The process starts but tool cannot find the phone.
    The phone is turned on and in debug mode but it won't start the unbranding.

The Goldcard created with no problems.

Any idea what might have caused this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sir_brunno

I was bummed that I may have had to wait for weeks for those O2 beggers to get the thumb out with a Froyo update...

No more! Ha ha! Happy days.

Thanks guys,

Me.

The original link seems to be down, does anyone have the instructions or a mirror?

Thanks for the guide OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

Here's the simple(ish) procedure to unbrand and foryo your phone!

• go to http://www.filedropper.com/htcmotha****a and download all files in the directory
    • Make sure your phone has at least 50% battery!
    • Attach your phone in disk mode to the PC. Back up the contents of your SD card. Remove phone
    • Go to settings > applications > development and enable usb debugging
    • Reattach phone
    • Extract the program in the goldcard.zip file and run it to get the CID of your card. Leave it open.
    • Go to http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard and get the goldcard.img file sent to your email
    • Save the file from your email on your pc
    • In the goldcard program, load the goldcard.img file you just saved, then hit patch mmc
    • You now have a gold card.
    • At this point, copy the update.zip file to your phone's SD card
    • This is stage 1 complete.

Once this has been done, we can now remove the O2 branding. To do this:

• Run the RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe program.
    • Follow the onscreen prompts to update your phone. It will probably show your firmware version as 1.20. This will bring you up to 1.21
    • Once this has been done, your phone will reboot into a recovery mode and a progress bar will appear. Once this has completed, it will reboot a couple of times, and eventually give you a HTC splash screen that says "quietly brilliant" on it. Your phone should now reboot into the original OS.
    • It will ask if you want to load a backup. You can do this, or you can manually load a backup later in HTC sync. Whatever you like.

Now that we have a fresh, unbranded phone, we can get to the froyoing

• Power down your phone.
    • Power up your phone while holding the volume down key. This will take you into a recovery boot menu.
    • When you're in here, wait a second as it has to initialise the SD card. You'll see it do this
    • Once that's done, use the volume up/down to navigate to the recovery menu. When it's highlighted hit the power button to select it.
    • In the recovery screen, hit the volume up and power at the same time to bring up the menu.
    • The second option is apply update: update.zip (or something like that). Basically, look for an option that mentions update.zip
    • Use volume up/down to select it, and the power button to accept.
    • It will unpack the data and apply the update.
    • Your phone will reboot 2-5 times but will eventually boot into froyo. It will tell you that update 2.09 has been applied. Don't worry. Check settings > about phone > software information it'll show 2.2
    • You will need to reinstall your apps, but contacts etc should be preserved.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. Succesfully completed it.
    I was having trouble removing the branding, it wouldn't recognise the device.
    I just let it run, waited for the error and then ran the process again.

Thanks for the guide, really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

niall mc wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Succesfully completed it.
    I was having trouble removing the branding, it wouldn't recognise the device.
    I just let it run, waited for the error and then ran the process again.

Thanks for the guide, really helpful

No probs, just uploading the files to a new hosting site because the original went down.

Advertisement