Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind load calculation

Options
  • 09-08-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,
    I'm a mechanical engineer and I want to learn how to work out wind loads for buildings. Can any one recommend textbooks or on-line resources???
    Thanks in advance,
    Denis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

BS6399 is the definitive source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

The answer is 1kN/m sq...always!!:D Nonetheless, check out BS 6399 or the new Eurocode parts 0 & 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Is this just for your personal knowledge, or are you using it on a job?

BS 6399 has been withdrawn (March 2010), and replaced with IS EN 1991-1-4:2005. We should all be using that now.

Of course, the wind load this year is much the same as the wind load last year so there shouldn't be too much difference, but I would say it's worth working with the current codes. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denisob

Thanks all for your advice and information.

@F00t13f4n a friend asked me to look into it with a view to performing some calculations for him. So I suppose its a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eurocodus

Refer to "Design of Structural Timber" 2 ed. Pub: palgrave Auth: McKenzie & Zhang. pages 60 to 105 for windloading. This was written before British or Irish National Annex of EC 1-1-4, so there are changes. BSi (British standard institute) publish "Structural Eurocodes, extracts...for students.." PP 1990: 2010 3ed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement