Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nets on sheelin

Options
  • 09-08-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hello folks i was out on sheelin over the weekend and among the catch was a 2.5lb brown trout with net marks on him. the top dorsal fin was badly cut damaged like a salmon that got through a drift net. the net marks were very fresh. there is a problem with people from a certain part of eastern europe netting on the lake so i just want to ask all genuine anglers to keep an eye out and report any dodgey activity to the authorities. these 'people' go out into the lake in small rubber dingies and set nets out from the shore using small floats that are hard to see (this is probably mostly done at night time). apart from the fact that this disgusting savage activity is totally illegal what would happen if your engine got caught in one of these nets in strong wind? i would not like to think about it.
    Lough Sheelin IFI office 049-4336144.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

what would happen if your engine got caught in one of these nets in strong wind?.

Safety considerations aside, I'd hope the propellor would make sh1te out of the net and put a halt to this nasty little past-time of theirs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

shamwari wrote: »
    I'd hope the propellor would make sh1te out of the net

I don't think so I think the propeller would get jammed up and probably do damage to your engine.
    The nets are usually set in more quiet areas such as the Sailors Garden, Rusheen and Crover, although i suppose they would put them in anywhere. The scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

huh didn't know that was going on there, but i suppose its going on everywhere..
    as you've said sailors garden, crover etc etc, anywhere id imagine that has road access i.e areas close to where boats are moored or from where boats can be launched is where they would prob put the nets....

what area of the lake did you catch the fish? prob nets in that general area if the wounds were fresh.

how did Sheelin fish? you stay late for the peter??

huh didn't know that was going on there, but i suppose its going on everywhere..
    as you've said sailors garden, crover etc etc, anywhere id imagine that has road access i.e areas close to where boats are moored or from where boats can be launched is where they would prob put the nets....

what area of the lake did you catch the fish? prob nets in that general area if the wounds were fresh.

how did Sheelin fish? you stay late for the peter??
    pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

bluedun, you do realise that sheelin is netted by the FB every year for pike?? mostly around spawning time, but all year round too Im sure.

• Advertisement

shblob wrote: »
    bluedun, you do realise that sheelin is netted by the FB every year for pike?? mostly around spawning time, but all year round too Im sure.

I am fishing the lake from early March to end of September a long time now and I know that some seasons pike are netted in early spring time; for clarity they don't net the lake all year long. This is August and the net marks on the trout were fresh, I would say the fish went through the net within the last week or so. I rang the board office and told them about it, they are well aware of the problem and who its creators are, but I won’t say any more about that. They also said that other anglers are reporting illegal netting and some 'strange activity', indeed nets were found at Crover last summer; you can see pictures of them on the LSTPA website. So I and others who fish the lake regularly are not in any doubt about this situation whatsoever.
    http://www.loughsheelinanglers.ie/Year2009.html

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

It's a shame the message isn't getting through to these mindless freaks. A step up in patrols by local waterkeepers is what is needed, even if that involves night time surveillance. They just dont give two fcuks about the laws of this country when it comes to fishing, be it coarse or game and are only out to feather their own nest and most likely sell what they catch to others of their nationality. This problem is getting worse and worse and its time that the trout anglers came on board with the guys that are becoming waterkeepers and looking after coarse stocks and then a tighter net could be thrown over these idiots.
    I just this morning received a photo from a waterkeeper I know who has come across several hundred yards of long lines on a lake near Cootehill. Unfortunately they are cute enough to stash this sort of equipment in bushes rather than chance getting caught with said material on their person.

Also we could do with more judges taking the stance that Justice Mc Bride has taken with them. Harsher sentences and bigger fines and if they cant pay lock them up I say! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

In a differant note. Whilst fishing in achill last year i had to eastern europeans get rather aggresive with me whilst fishing of the rock. Saying i was in there spot and no one else is allowed to fish here:(. I politely told them they where in my country and can fish where i so f-ing please.. Was left pretty dum founded buy the hole episode..

Ill be up the sheelin way come september and be sure to keep an eye out. Nothing worse than poachers :mad:

Advertisement