Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to handle land theft?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this,

My family has a site and it has/had a little borinne prob bout 6 foot wide adjecent to it. After a few years away I paid a visit to the site recently to find the little borinne has turnned into a road bout 20 feet wide into our site. A new house was buildt on the site behind ours and the access to the house road (little borinne) has been filled in with gravel prob about 2 truck loads. We were never informed or conntacted about anything.
    The road has been widened onto our land, so we've lost about 15feet x 100feet and more at the entrance, its been widened further and rounded at the main road.
    I have the engineer who marked out the site offically calling out this week to remark the offical boundary again at our expense,
    The offical boundary will basically be going up the middle of this new road and blocking access to the new house.
    Has anyone ever had something like this happened to them and how did you resolve the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Get on to the owners of the new house and tell them they will have to buy the land of you. Let them know the only other option is you that you will to refence your land in blocking their access and they will be billed for it.

As long as the plans match up to what you have you hold all the cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

Get on to the owners of the new house and tell them they will have to buy the land of you. Let them know the only other option is you that you will to refence your land in blocking their access and they will be billed for it.

As long as the plans match up to what you have you hold all the cards

Thanks for the reply, What you said is what I figured but I dont want to rush into anything.
    The biggest kick in the balls is they never even conntacted (local neighbours have our conntact numbers) or asked or offered anything, the way they just took the land and said nothing hopeing or thinking of getting away with it, but at the same time, I hope to build a house there so I dont want to have a war with the neighbours before I've started building, and then as its a new house, and the way things are I dont want to demand a few grand from a young couple or family to gain access to their house, and chances are, they were prob told it was fine, ok etc by who ever sold them the land. hence the delema and to handle this nicely and fairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this,

My family has a site and it has/had a little borinne prob bout 6 foot wide adjecent to it. After a few years away I paid a visit to the site recently to find the little borinne has turnned into a road bout 20 feet wide into our site. A new house was buildt on the site behind ours and the access to the house road (little borinne) has been filled in with gravel prob about 2 truck loads. We were never informed or conntacted about anything.
    The road has been widened onto our land, so we've lost about 15feet x 100feet and more at the entrance, its been widened further and rounded at the main road.
    I have the engineer who marked out the site offically calling out this week to remark the offical boundary again at our expense,
    The offical boundary will basically be going up the middle of this new road and blocking access to the new house.
    Has anyone ever had something like this happened to them and how did you resolve the matter?

just because the boreen was 6 foot does not mean that is correct mesurement , often roads are overgrown but actual width may be much greater than you orignally thought , your site map should show this , if you plan build a house there you better try sort it amically .

Straying into legal territory (not allowed), check with the land registration documents about rights of way.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this is a legal issue which cannot be discussed here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement