Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Treble

Options
  • 09-08-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Looking ahead to the GAA over the next 3 weeks and I like the following:

Tipp - 3 pts v Waterford @ 10-11
    Kildare to beat Down @ 10-11
    Cork - 1 pt to beat Dublin @ 10-11

All PP Prices, pays roughly 6-1

If you just the take the straight win on Cork @ 4-6 it pays 5-1.
    I would be confident enough of all 3 winning. The most dangerous looks to be the hurling but in fairness Tipp should beat Waterford and 3 pts isnt that much in hurling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Good bet I'd think, will probably have a small stake myself. Somewhat frustrating that you will have to sweat it over 3 weeks to see if it comes off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

Warper wrote: »
    Looking ahead to the GAA over the next 3 weeks and I like the following:

All PP Prices, pays roughly 6-1

If you just the take the straight win on Cork @ 4-6 it pays 5-1.
    I would be confident enough of all 3 winning. The most dangerous looks to be the hurling but in fairness Tipp should beat Waterford and 3 pts isnt that much in hurling.

no but 4 pts is,and thats whats needed for the bet to come in...;)
    on another note,will have to lump on kildare,and the way nemo played against us (valley rovers) last night in championship i will be going for a dublin win..nemo consist of 7 cork players that are on the panel..;)
    just something to consider..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

I think the two football games are a toss up. I personally fancy down to beat kildare but will probably just stick to the club scene, (might back them if their odds drift a bit which i can see happening)

Tipp will probably win the hurling but with that handicap i wouldn't fancy your chances, just my opinion though.

• Moderators Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I've backed Waterford @ 5/2. Really think they've a good chance of winning this one and are a great price IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd be on Waterfords side with that handicap; +3 is more likely than -3 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭glanman

coughlan08 wrote: »
    no but 4 pts is,and thats whats needed for the bet to come in...;)
    on another note,will have to lump on kildare,and the way nemo played against us (valley rovers) last night in championship i will be going for a dublin win..nemo consist of 7 cork players that are on the panel..;)
    just something to consider..

Please tell who these 7 nemo players on the cork panel are? You don't have a clue lad. And how a game played 2 weeks before the Dublin game will affect cork is beyond me... Please for the sake of other people don't go preaching on here about things you obviously don't have much knowledge of.

And as for the way nemo played against valleys, valleys are a disgrace, in particular the player who broke james masters jaw by kicking him in the head on the ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

glanman wrote: »
    Please tell who these 7 nemo players on the cork panel are? You don't have a clue lad. And how a game played 2 weeks before the Dublin game will affect cork is beyond me... Please for the sake of other people don't go preaching on here about things you obviously don't have much knowledge of.

And as for the way nemo played against valleys, valleys are a disgrace, in particular the player who broke james masters jaw by kicking him in the head on the ground...

ive already named them on another tread..

as regards me not having a clue,,you obviously dont either. i was at the game and nemo started the fight,,you obviously read the paper report and thought you knew the full story,well obviously not,,heres what happened..

as said already nemo started it by making a remark to one of the players about a former player who recently took his life just last week..
    of course hell broke louse and the 2 teams were involved..or corner back went in to join the action,he was told what the player said about his best friend and ran straight up to masters and banned him out with a fist (not a kick..)another nemo player (dont no who) went for the corner back but he got banned out to,he went to get up and got a kick..it was not masters....

on a side note the game should of never taken place in the first place due to the recent death,,,the county board are a disgrace and so too nemo,they should of never opened there mouth and they got what they deserved,
    "valleys are a disgrace",maybe in the eyes of the papers but only clueless gullible people listen to them as a reliable source..

had to clear up that out of respect for the corner back, and the club..
    please dont discuss further as its a very sensitive issue...
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Was it masters that had said the comment about the fella?

Derek Kavanagh, Paul Kerrigan and Brian O Regan (who is nowhere near the team, sometimes this season not even on the 30 players listed) are the only Nemo Rangers players involved with Cork. Where you get seven from is baffling... Found your post re cork panel:

james masters(dropped off this year)
    niblock(was on it for 2-3 years, about 4-5 years ago),
    mehigan(never a cork senior)
    martin and alan cronin(at least 3-4 years since either played with cork seniors).

As for your points, you are wearing your Valley tinted glasses. I was at the game as a neutral. There was a scuffle at the end of the game, started by nemo player, nothing too serious, happens in a lot of matches. Corner back ran 40 yards, punched Masters, who was not involved in any of this, in the back of the head. He then kicked Masters in the head, breaking his jaw, concussing him and sending him to hospital for the night. This player was sent off and then to top it all off made a handcuffs gesture to Masters and nemo players when being sent off. Masters is a garda. Masters did absolutely nothing. He is an absolute gent on and off the pitch. One criticism about masters is that he is too nice and that is why he never fulfilled his full potential for cork and why he is not in the cork panel now.

greetings wrote: »
    Was it masters that had said the comment about the fella?

I cannot comment on this other than say it would be totally out of character for him to say something that would provoke anything like this. Valley players will say what the need to say to justify the actions, facts are facts and don't be surprised to see legal action for the attack on masters, Nemo had the game videoed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

SO what about the betting lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I might like Dublin to beat Cork myself,I think Tyrone would have been a bigger test for Dublin.

SO what about the betting lads?

I honestly believe Cork are good enough to beat Dublin. Hold B Brogan and Dublin are fairly toothless. Cork have just about got their best 15 figured out too now and the 2nd half v roscommon was truer to form/ability for them.

Kildare have been impressive, the result against Meath was excellent considering they lost D Earley in the first minute. Down have been a bit of an enigma, they clicked against Kerry, I reckon they would need to that again to win here.

I think Tipp are due a big result v Waterford. They were caught on the hop by cork, most cork people were too in all honesty and cork true level has become apparent in the last few games. They were pretty poor against waterford in both games, antrim and obviously v KK.

I would be going Cork, Kildare straight and Tipp -3 (maybe even -5 if offered 5/2 or better)

I will also be looking at unders in the cork game if at the 30/31vpoints mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I hope everyone goes against Dublin (selfishly) and then there's another big upset on the cards. Might even throw a fair amount on Cork myself so at least if Dublin lose i can be consoled a bit with the winnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Id truly be amazed if Tipperary fail to win by more than 5 points. Waterford are a shocking team and Tipperary had one off day in 2 years, suddenly people think they are finished.

Tipperary should win this with a lot to spare, look for goals in the opening few minutes ala Kilkenny vs Cork.

The hurling part of the bet is the safest imo.

Also believe Tipperary will beat Kilkenny, but thats for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Id truly be amazed if Tipperary fail to win by more than 5 points. Waterford are a shocking team and Tipperary had one off day in 2 years, suddenly people think they are finished.

Tipperary should win this with a lot to spare, look for goals in the opening few minutes ala Kilkenny vs Cork.

The hurling part of the bet is the safest imo.

Also believe Tipperary will beat Kilkenny, but thats for another day.

i don't know about that. Waterford beat tipp 2 years ago in the semi and waterford beat cork who made bits of tipp (but as you said it was just an off day for tipp so i wouldnt read too much into that). Tipp have beaten galway who are hyped up every year and waterford also beat them last year i believe. I reckon tipp will win but tbh i don't think there will be much in it and it wouldnt surprise me if waterford did win it. As for waterford having a shocking team.... not really true is it considering they make it pretty much to the final four every year as well as doing well in munster every year. i won't be havin a bet on it because i think its too hard to call.

i would fancy cork to beat dublin on paper but i havent seen any championship action this year as i was away for the summer. dublin are always hyped up and cork are a very good team so id definitely have a punt on cork if i was to have a bet. gun to my head out of the 3 matches id back this one

kildare and down are both good teams and again i wouldnt have a bet on this because i wouldnt be confident in pickin the winner at all

jive wrote: »
    i don't know about that. Waterford beat tipp 2 years ago in the semi and waterford beat cork who made bits of tipp (but as you said it was just an off day for tipp so i wouldnt read too much into that). Tipp have beaten galway who are hyped up every year and waterford also beat them last year i believe. I reckon tipp will win but tbh i don't think there will be much in it and it wouldnt surprise me if waterford did win it. As for waterford having a shocking team.... not really true is it considering they make it pretty much to the final four every year as well as doing well in munster every year. i won't be havin a bet on it because i think its too hard to call.

i would fancy cork to beat dublin on paper but i havent seen any championship action this year as i was away for the summer. dublin are always hyped up and cork are a very good team so id definitely have a punt on cork if i was to have a bet. gun to my head out of the 3 matches id back this one

kildare and down are both good teams and again i wouldnt have a bet on this because i wouldnt be confident in pickin the winner at all

Tipperary were well able for Waterford last year, having a few to spare, even with falling asleep for the last 15 minutes.

They were by all accounts sluggish against Waterford in 2008 and that same Waterford side were annihilated by Kilkenny in the 2008 final.

Last year, Waterford essentially beat Galway to get to a semi final. If one looks and sees that one victory of note can send you to a semi final then reaching them is rather deceptive.

They managed to beat Cork, who beat Tipperary, but people can play that game all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

jive wrote: »
    i won't be havin a bet on it because i think its too hard to call.
    I agree it's a tough one to call but I think 13/5 on Waterford for this match (PP) is massive. 16/1 for the AI is also value I think though I probably won't take any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

You can't call a team who reached the semi's of the All Ireland for the last five years 'shocking'.

For what its worth as well, the popular consensus in Waterford is that this team is quite different than previous ones, in that on top of the usual attacking flair, there is more grit and determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Ive done a €10 double today of :

Clare -2pts to beat dublin (minor) @ 4/6
    Waterford to score over 1.5 goals v tipperary @ 11/10

Will probably do another bet in the main game later

• Advertisement

Can't understand how people saw them as anything other than shocking before todays game.

Truly exposed for what they were today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

First one in, now left with the football. Listening to Newstalk in my car tonight, they mainly felt that Cork have got to the semi-final in second gear and are finally starting to figure out their best 15. Though they felt that if Dublin are in it with 10 mins remaining, that they could take it.

Personally I feel that Cork have a lot more to give and the 8-11 straight win or the -1 point @ 10-11 are good solid bets. Tyrone had a load of wides against Dublin and really, based on possession and scoring chances, they should have put Dublin away. Dublin also got a fortuitous goal and while they have obviously improved, lets face it, they are not the best team in the country. Of course anything can happen in one match but the odds on a Cork victory seem to reflect the bookies fear of a plunge on Dublin. Cork should win this if they play near their best and could win quite comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Anyone any input into the Cork v Dublin game? The more I think about it the stronger i fancy Cork. I can see a 7-8 pts victory.

Cork -1 @ 10-11 looks sweet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Anyone any input into the Cork v Dublin game? The more I think about it the stronger i fancy Cork. I can see a 7-8 pts victory.

Cork -1 @ 10-11 looks sweet to me.

Dont know why people are so confident about cork.. if performances are anyting to go by it's gonna be a dublin victory. im currently weighing up dublin -1 @11/5. There the fittest team around and have the best inside forward left in the championship. Cork proved against ros that they can't mark a team's main threat i.e. shine, a player who is totally void of any pace. With o'gara alongside him i can se brogan doing some serious damage.

But then again i think down will beat kildare... Might do a dublin/down double :p

Cork will have no problem matching fitness with Dublin or any team. They are also bigger and stronger and have much better players to bring on. O Gara is average at best, if Cork keep Bernard Brogan quiet they will win. Dublin have put in one performance, don't let that blind you. Also remember that Tyrone hit 16 wides against Dublin. Line v line, Cork are a much better team. I would be looking at Cork minus 4.

I have to qualify all this by telling you all I am from Cork, but I go to all Cork football matches and know what this team is capable.

Cork will comfortably beat the handicap IMO.

Advertisement