Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video cable for iPhone

• 09-08-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before!

From being a regular viewer of Apple section of Boards.ie I have been under the impression that the only way you can connect your iPhone to the TV is to firstly jailbreak the phone, and then buy a special cable?

Call me old fashioned, lazy, whatever, but I'm really not inclined to go down the jailbreak road....

From doing a google search it appears that there is an official Apple cable which will do the job - is this the case? If so then will it also work with the Sky Sports Mobile App?

cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

You do not need to jailbrake to use video out .
    you only need Apple Component AV Cable or Apple Composite AV Cable , its your preference. Same cost. You will get cheaper in the shops, about 39.99. Apple site will sell you for 49.99

i dont know about Sky Sports Mobile App, dont have that app, not a Sky customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

You do not need to jailbrake to use video out .
    you only need Apple Component AV Cable or Apple Composite AV Cable , its your preference. Same cost. You will get cheaper in the shops, about 39.99. Apple site will sell you for 49.99

i dont know about Sky Sports Mobile App, dont have that app, not a Sky customer.

thanks Fat_Fingers

can anyone confirm if the Sky Sports App would be compatible with the Apple cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

PGL wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if this has been asked before!

From being a regular viewer of Apple section of Boards.ie I have been under the impression that the only way you can connect your iPhone to the TV is to firstly jailbreak the phone, and then buy a special cable?

Call me old fashioned, lazy, whatever, but I'm really not inclined to go down the jailbreak road....

From doing a google search it appears that there is an official Apple cable which will do the job - is this the case? If so then will it also work with the Sky Sports Mobile App?

cheers guys

i had the same idea and bought the official apple cable and yes you can output video, youtube etc from your phone to your tv but not the sky sports app, they have a block on the video out, as far as i remember from doing it, you can hear the audio but the picture is just black,
    apparently if you jailbreak the iphone there is an app that lets you 'push' past this and you can output sky sports. i didnt wanna jailbreak so i never tried it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Don't be tempted to buy a cheap (i.e. non-Apple) version of the AV cable.

If your phone is a 3GS of 4 it will know - and cut the signal off.

So jailbreaking is the only option if I am to view the sky app my telly (very similar, but a bit smaller than this one: http://www.buy4now.ie/arnotts/Product/Philips%205000%20series%20LCD%20TV%20Pixel%20Plus%20HD%2032/285559/400200300200).

Would it be possible if someone could explain in simple terms what I would need to do to:

a: jailbreak my iphone? (3GS Version 4.01)
    b: would there be any implications for the apps I already have installed, future updates from apple, or warranty issues?
    c: exactly what cable to buy to suit my tv?; and
    d: what settings i would need to tweak on my iphone and telly for the sky app to work?

your help is much appreciated!

cheers guys

• Advertisement

just looking at your list of questions i don't think jailbraking is for you right now.

Google jailbrake and when you have full understanding you should decide yourself.

Dades wrote: »
    Don't be tempted to buy a cheap (i.e. non-Apple) version of the AV cable.

If your phone is a 3GS of 4 it will know - and cut the signal off.

there is a way around that.

just looking at your list of questions i don't think jailbraking is for you right now.

can you elaborate please?

cheers

i just think you dont have all info and anything you get here will be short answer

Anyhow. if it makes you happy i'll answer your questions :D

a: yes. just go to jailbreakme.com on your phone
    b. no prob for your apps at all but your waranty is gone.
    c: link for that TV has no specs so we dont know what tv you have. if it can take Component AV Cable or Composite AV Cable or both
    d: there is cydia app for this but i never needed it, cant remember the name...

just remembered .... app on cydia is called TVOut
    lets you not only play music, video and games but also all your Apps

• Advertisement
Advertisement