Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should a new front door cost?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We need to get a new front door - our current one is warped and even with 7mm sticky insulation on both sides, drafts are very bad :(

Our door has a cantilever lock and I've been told that it cannot be replaced on it's own, so I need to get the surrounding frame as well (door in centre and two side panels).

<SNIP> quoted me €1800. Is this expensive? Any other recommendations? :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is that a front door for the White House in Leixlip?

Get quotations from 3 or 4 different suppliers and compare them.

Please read the charter, don't post company names on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

OK - thanks Tom. That price was for fitting as well but I did find a website for a company up north that would supply the door & frame at a fraction of the price.

Surely it's ok for people to post other suggested suppliers tho? Apart from blindly scanning through the golden pages, I haven't got a clue. It's always better to get a recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

OK - thanks Tom. That price was for fitting as well but I did find a website for a company up north that would supply the door & frame at a fraction of the price.

Surely it's ok for people to post other suggested suppliers tho? Apart from blindly scanning through the golden pages, I haven't got a clue. It's always better to get a recommendation!
    It's not a front door but my sister got quoted €1500 for supply and fitting of a double narrow french door and window made of PVC.

This was the going rate approved by the insurance company also.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

The cost for supply of a Front Door will depend on the dimension and the design. They come as cheap as €500 and as expensive as €10,000.

is it 900mmx2100mm or does it have side lights ... possibly as big as 2000mmx2100mm ? Does it have a fan light over head ?

Is the Door a single panel door ? Four panel ? Six panel ? Glass panels or timber panels ?

What material is it to be made from ? uPVC, Pine, Oak, etc..

What kind of locking mechanism, and door furniture do you require ..

All of the above will impact the cost for the supply of the door.

Cost for installing .... do you want to include the uninstallation of the old door ? include a cost for the disposal of the old door ? include for the cost of making good .. plastering .. under threshold step ... floor tiling ..

This is a rough breakdown of the costs involved in replacing a front door.

€900 Cost of average 900x2100 door
    €350 labour for 2 men for 1 day to uninstall old door and install new door
    €100 Cost of transport incl Fuel
    € 50 Disposal of Old Door
    €150 Making good after the installation (plastering, tiling, etc)
    €209 Vat on the above

Total €1759 incl VAT

You can ask the door company to do some or all of the above .. but the costs will exist on someones bill at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dnClar

We went for an ultra tech door from <SNIP> with glass panels either side. The cost was €1600 for installation and supply. The width of our opening was 1800mm. Probably would be more for taking out the old one. There was cheaper options of doors, but we did go for the top one for its u value.

• Advertisement

Braftery - thanks fopr all that detailed info, it makes good sense. The door has two side panels and it's 148cm wide and 213cm high. It's made of wood (I thought mahogany but it could be stained).

Poor Uncle Tom - what's the problem with people posting info for suppliers? This is what I'm looking for help with.

And yes, I have read the charter...

If you have read the charter you will have seen the following:

Any threads naming specific companies/traders will be deleted. Exceptions to this will be at the moderators' discretion.

Do not advertise any commercial activity on this site. This will lead to an immediate ban, the duration of which is at the moderators discretion.

Threads looking for recommendations in a certain area will be allowed but any recommendations should be given by pm only.

Which is very clear. People are more then welcome to PM you any recommendations of suppliers, companies, traders, etc., but do not post them on thread.

There is a very good reason for this. We do not want each thread filled up with people advertising their products and companies, suppliers and traders, etc. The charter ensures clear, uncluttered opinion and straightforward advice without the need for the 'this post is sponsored by' advertising.

And yes, we do delete a huge amount of spam across the forum, ask any of the moderators, so I have no problem in saying the threads would get cluttered up with unnecessary advertising and wares peddeling in no time at all.

Now can we please get back on topic, thank you.

Exceptions to this will be at the moderators' discretion.

There is a very good reason for this. We do not want each thread filled up with people advertising their products and companies, suppliers and traders, etc. The charter ensures clear, uncluttered opinion and straightforward advice without the need for the 'this post is sponsored by' advertising.

And yes, we do delete a huge amount of spam across the forum, ask any of the moderators, so I have no problem in saying the threads would get cluttered up with unnecessary advertising and wares peddeling in no time at all.

I've come one here to get recommendations - what's the point if you are going to delete them? :confused:

And as for 'across the forum', there is loads of information on the Satellites forum (for example) telling people what equipment to get and where is the best place to get it from. This is very helpful to members.

It's a pity that there is censorship on here. Never good on an 'open' forum.

I've come one here to get recommendations - what's the point if you are going to delete them? :confused:
    As stated you can get as many recommendations as you like, just by PM.
    And as for 'across the forum', there is loads of information on the Satellites forum (for example) telling people what equipment to get and where is the best place to get it from. This is very helpful to members.
    Different forums have different charters for various reasons. I have explained why ours is the way it is.
    It's a pity that there is censorship on here. Never good on an 'open' forum.
    The charter will not be changed to suit you. If you still have a problem with this take it to PM.

WARNING: The next poster to drag the thread off-topic will be banned.

• Advertisement

Please close the thread. I doubt I'll get any advice now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement