Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1764's terrible keyboard etc

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Anyone else got a new Inspiron 1764? I have one and the keyboard is terrible, very cheap feel and the left shift key is half the size of normal so instead of having capital letters you constantly hit the \ key instead.

The touchpad seems flaky as well, downloaded the new drivers and they made it worse, not detecting clicks etc. It also positioned strangely or else too large in size.

The speakers are really bad as well and even worse they are on the bottom front of the laptop.

Have used loads of laptops over the years but hate the keyboard on this, wonder is there anyway to put in a better keyboard. I have had an Inspiron 9300 for about 6 years and it was a great laptop, then again it was top of the range at the time, but the keyboard is excellent on it. And the speakers are very good including a subwoofer.

It is a good laptop other than these things, but these take away from the experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

I think most will agree dells quality,particularly for its lower end models has dropped in recent times. Thier lack of features for price compared to other low end models is also dissapointing, stuff like HDMI ports which should be standard.

Combined with their horrible customer support its not suprising to see people looking towards other brands such as asus which are offering great quality, specs and competitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

dazzday wrote: »
    I think most will agree dells quality,particularly for its lower end models has dropped in recent times. Thier lack of features for price compared to other low end models is also dissapointing, stuff like HDMI ports which should be standard.

Combined with their horrible customer support its not suprising to see people looking towards other brands such as asus which are offering great quality, specs and competitive prices.

I agree, I have always bought Dells for personal use, however I reckon this will be my last one. It is so hard to type on especially if you are anyway fast and terrible feedback from the keys. But the half size left shift key is the most annoying especially when the right side has a full size one. Even the caps lock key is bigger.

picture.php?albumid=942&pictureid=7009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

I have an Inspiron 1750 and I will agree the left shift is too small, touch-pad too big and a generally cheap feel. However I don't find it impacts my usage too much. I can touch type and type quickly too.

If accidental clicks are a problem disable mouse clicks on the touch-pad.

I have found the pointer can jump around a bit while typing if part of thumb or hand accidentally touches the pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

looks like the US keyboard has normal sized shift key might buy one and replace the UK one

Advertisement