Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 5 star hotel in ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

looking to give the lady a bit of a treat, looking for recomendations on some nice 5 star hotels in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Castlemartyr in cork is supposed to be fantastic:

http://www.castlemartyrresort.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have stayed/been to a lot of so called ' 5 star ' hotels in Ireland.

Remember the star rating is basically done on the facilities available.

I feel a ' real ' 5 star is one where the service is exceptional , and I don't mean intrusive.

What I mean is where the staff actually anticipate what you want before you ask, and it's done quietly and without fuss.

The only ' real ' 5 star I have actually been to in Ireland , was the Sheen falls

http://www.sheenfallslodge.ie/

I have not been to Castle Martyr however

Where ever you choose , let us know how you got on , what the service was like .

Enjoy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ntlbell wrote: »
    looking to give the lady a bit of a treat, looking for recomendations on some nice 5 star hotels in Ireland.

I've stayed in five star hotels that are stuffy and pompous and three star hotles that offer amazing service and a really comfortable stay.Personally I would decide how you want to treat her and where you want to go, then take her to the most apt hotel in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I've stayed in five star hotels that are stuffy and pompous and three star hotles that offer amazing service and a really comfortable stay.Personally I would decide how you want to treat her and where you want to go, then take her to the most apt hotel in that area.

Agreed Fred !

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

If you want something romantic...

http://www.castledurrow.com/

Not five star but a stunning place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Hi

Aghadoe Heights = Delish, its really really lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dillodaffs

Ashford Castle, Cong, Co Mayo....simply wonderful and well worth it

squidgy10 wrote: »
    Special mention in that list going to the first three.They're very good.
    The Europe,I've never heard of.
    The park Kenmare is very quaint.Hayfield for a City hotel is simply outstanding.
    I absolutely love Ashford castle,it's just very relaxing as long as it's not too full.

Castlemartyr is poor to be honest.
    People raving about that one simply couldn't have experienced a proper luxury hotel with the service one should have if they think that one is a luxury hotel.

The newest and best country/small town hotel in my opinion at the moment is the Cliff house at Ardmore co waterford.

It also has a michelin star restaurant.

http://www.thecliffhousehotel.com/

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Only one that is top quality is Sheen Falls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Dromoland Castle is good anyway.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Only one that is top quality is Sheen Falls
    I've experience of most on that list above so I'd disagree.
    Sheen is good but that is no basis to diss some of the others.
    Ireland doesn't do service often aswell as some of the well known uber luxury hotels internationally eg bench marks like the four seasons george V in Paris or say Trisara in phuket to name but two..

Be wary of trip advisor too.
    Lately it's full of one post or 4 post pony's who give a view of their stay somewhere raving about how good it is...but when you look at their review history,they often haven't stayed in too many good hotels before so their idea of brilliant might be less valuable than someone there that has reviewed 10 or 20 good luxury hotels.
    You need to get advice aswell from people that know their stuff as much as read reviews from people who've been once to one place and because they've no experience of much better think a place is the bee's knee's and it might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Only checked a few of them but they still seem pretty pricey!!Is there any good value 5 star hotels out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Been to Monart a few times. we love it. Just got a mail from the this morning, three nights ( mid week or weekend ) during Sept is only....cant remember excatly..€235 pp i think. Great spa area... www.monart.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ashford Castle and Dromoland.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

We recently went to Druids Glen after we saw a temping offer of 2 nights B&B and one dinner for €300, its supposed to be 5* resort, honestly at best its a 3*, the place is not very clean, have written to Management to let them know the place needs a good cleaning. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

http://www.solislougheskecastle.ie/home.cfm

Second to none this one. The setting is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jackcee

The Killarney Park every time.

Right down from the train station.

Owner on the premises most of the time - and it shows.

Easy, relaxed service.

Have stayed in all the others mentioned - apart from Castlemartyr - and Killarney has a sense of ease all of it's own.

You won't go wrong with the others. Don't know about Castlemartyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

SuperValu have great deals including 5* hotels. http://www.supervalugetawaybreaks.com/

I was at a wedding in Castlemartyr in July and stayed for a long w/end. It was absolutely gorgeous (and yes, I've stayed in 'plush' hotels many times ;)). It's owned by Dromonland. Aghadoe in Killarney is gorgeous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

It really depends what the OP is going for. If it is a city break then I don't think any city in Ireland can boast a finer hotel than the Hayfield Manor.

For ones not in the country, I personally think that the Kenmare Park Hotel is nicer than Sheen Falls but that is personal preference.

Has anyone stayed at the new one in Ardmore, Waterford? Supposed to be beautiful. Ardmore is a lovely place also but probably a bit boring if it is not the Summer season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

doonbeg golf resort in west clare is truly fabulous
    dont be put off by the golf tag
    it is a true 5* resort

SuperValu have great deals including 5* hotels. http://www.supervalugetawaybreaks.com/

I was at a wedding in Castlemartyr in July and stayed for a long w/end. It was absolutely gorgeous (and yes, I've stayed in 'plush' hotels many times ;)). It's owned by Dromonland. too.
    if it's service is anything like the last time I was there (we had to eventually go looking for a server) or if it's like breakfast in dromoland last weekend [10 minutes waiting at a table for coffee and orange juice after asking for it,20 mins waiting for a full irish after that when the place was just half full].
    Then forgive me if I advice those two are not international 5 star quality.
    They are irish 5 stars where you qualify if you tick the boxes ie have 24hr room service or something or have an iron in the room.

Hayfield manor in cork or the newish cliff house in waterford or the four seasons and the merrion in Dublin know how to do it.
    As does the R-C in powerscourt.
    You wouldn't be left waiting there in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

So where did you end up going?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

I am looking for a romantic hotel to stay in for a couple of nights over the Christmas holidays - maybe for new yrs.

Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 conorfonz

The Solaice hotelo in Donegal Town

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

hotel europe in killarney, by far one of the best hotels around!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Can anyone recommend a nice romantic hotel for a couple in their late 20s for New Yrs?

Many that I have looked at seem leveraged towards elderly people - with black tie dinner and in some cases country music!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for a romantic hotel to stay in for a couple of nights over the Christmas holidays - maybe for new yrs.

Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Radisson Farnham Estate in Cavan - fabulous hotel, great staff, relaxing spa (no kids allowed) and wonderful food! Enjoy! www.farnhamestate.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

sonic.trip wrote: »
    hotel europe in killarney, by far one of the best hotels around!

closed for the winter

• Advertisement
Advertisement