Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPC Detail for outside step

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just casting steps at the moment to be covered with Granite flags afterwards.
    At the moment, the 'wall' under the bottom of the door is open and the cavity is exposed below the door.

Does anyone have a detail for the dpc requirements here before the cavity is filled or before the steps go in?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

Hi Mike,

A good question with more than one answer.

Your window and door supplier should be able to supply you a detail for under their door threshold, based on how you are planning to finish the door step etc.

Or at least be able to discuss the waterproofing method they recommend.

If you have no joy .. PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Cheers,

I got on to the door manufacturer and they told me what was required.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Would you post the answer if you get a chance, others may have the same question?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I Might be wrong but the cast under the door was wrapped or lined internall with dpc and ran under the cast to the external leaf. Just thinking about about it the dpc was intrenally and followed the exact same as the dpc would follow normally if the door wasnt there. So if the step ran into the cast any damp issue would not penetrate to the inner leaf.
    Maybe the experts can throw a line here but it seems to work .

hope i made some sense.. if any at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I got one of the guys on site to speak to the supplier and do what was necessary. I didn't do it myself so I can't describe the exact method...

Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

There are a number of different details for door thresholds and nearly all will vary a little more based on the actual door threshold itself.

The Building Regs require a 150mm step down at external doors or the placement of an aqua channel to remove water. Based on which of these methods you are planning there can be different details.

You need to take into account water penetration under the threshold, pooling water over the threshold, threshold support and cold bridging and what is currently on site will partly determine what the best detail is.

I have a whole series (12) of installation examples from a door threshold manufacturer and it still does not cover all of the possibilities.

To be honest there is not a "one size fits all" detail.

Advertisement