Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Suppliers/Fitters

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

We are currently in the process of looking at replacing our windows. We are also dry lining our house which is a 1970's build. We though it would be a good idea to do both at the same time. We are also are doing a refurb on our kitchen. We are taking down a stud wall into the dining room and making the kitchen and dining room one room.

Currently we have double glazed aluminium windows which are about 15 years old, bad condensation also due to the gas being omitted from the back of the windows. It’s supposedly a common problem with windows this old. They were poorly finished and weren't insulated correctly around the sides.

We are looking at the following:

- New Bio Fold Door (opening up dining room)
    - New Front Door
    - 1 Large Window for sitting room
    - 1 very small window for bathroom
    - 2 small Windows for Bedroom & Landing
    - 3 Medium sized windows for 2 Bedrooms & Kitchen

I just put up the amount of windows/doors needed as a guide to the work needed (not as a guide for quotes as exact measurements would be needed for this).

I am looking for recommendations for window companies. I'm on the West Side of Dublin.

We are getting Munster Joinery out this week for a quote. I have heard mixed reviews about them but also heard they are the cheapest in the market. Also from talking to a few friends who are builders/quantity surveyors, they recommend MJ but from reading reviews about them on the web I'm not so sure.

If it comes down to quality vs. price, we are willing to spend the extra money on quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

One point to consider is when replacing the windows is that you will be able to have a decent layer of insulation on the reveals, head and under window sill if you plan it right.

Most PVC window can come with an extra 30 mm slip around the window so as to allow more insulation on the reveals

You might also consider replacing the window sills with a better insulated product

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Carlow52 wrote: »
    One point to consider is when replacing the windows is that you will be able to have a decent layer of insulation on the reveals, head and under window sill if you plan it right.

Most PVC window can come with an extra 30 mm slip around the window so as to allow more insulation on the reveals

You might also consider replacing the window sills with a better insulated product

Thats a good point. I will look into that.

Would you recommend any companies for windows?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

OnLooker wrote: »
    Would you recommend any companies for windows?

http://oval.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Just got a quote from Templeogue Windows and the price is basically the same as Munster Joinery.

Advertisement