Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livebait traps.

Options
  • 09-08-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I bought a few livebait traps on ebay and was planning on using them to try an catch some shrimp and whatever else turns up in the pots. Just wondering what would be a good bait to use. would halk a mackeral be a good option with it being fairly oily and smelly.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

for shrimp use whiting,mackerel is ok salted herring is the business if you can get your hands on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

catfood, tuna guts from fish you just caught any fish based will work i caught a Strap conger eel in mine before i got the fright of my life when i went to pull it up,

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

cheers for the tips lads. gonna go catch some whiting to try them. Pulled the pots three times in total now. Loads of different blennies not sure what species but a couple of different sizes and they were fairly big as well some rockling and wrasse as well. Managed to get a few crabs one edible one but its shell was still soft so put him back. Got a lobster as well but he was a bit on the small side so put him back. Not bad I think

Advertisement