Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 32: Chicken & Peppers

Options
  • 08-08-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I won't have time to post this tomorrow so doing it now!!

This has turned out to be one of my favourite dinners!!It's a very simple dish but it's so so tasty!!!

Ingredients: (serves 2)

2 Skinless Chicken Fillet Breasts
    1 Chopped Garlic Clove
    1 Chopped Onion
    1 Red Pepper
    1 Green Pepper (we actually threw in some yellow peppers this time as well)
    1 Chicken Stock Pot
    1 Cup of rice
    Olive Oil
    Salt and Black Pepper to season.

First heat the olive oil in a pan, about 2 tablespoons.
    Then heat the chicken fillets on both sides on a low heat for 2 mins each side.
    Place chicken fillets on a side plate.
    SDC12710.jpg

Add onion and garlic to the flavoured oil. Toss onions and garlic for 2 mins.
    Add some salt and a very generous amount of black pepper.
    In the meantime chop the peppers into strips.
    Empty chicken stock pot into a cup and fill 2/3rds of the way with boiling water.
    Add peppers to the pan and return chicken to the pan also.
    SDC12711.jpg

Pour stock pot into the pan and cover for 15 to 20 mins turning chicken breasts half way through this time. (if you don't have a lid for the pan like us! A plate will do)
    SDC12712.jpg

Keep the pan on the lowest heat for the whole process.

While the chicken is cooking boil the rice.
    Drain the rice when it's ready.
    Place chicken and peppers on the bed of rice, pour stock pot juice over the chicken and allow the rice to absorb this also.

SDC12716.jpg

Enjoy!!

SDC12717.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi No1XtinaFan

We had your chicken tonight, but used brown rice instead of white and cooked everything together in one pot.

It was lovely. Thank you!

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7017

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

Mmm, might try that the next time! I'd say the rice really abosrbed the flavours that way?

I normally have mine with brown rice, the other half likes his white rice so we end up making both!!!

Glad you liked it!

I know it seems very simple but I think it's very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Mmm, might try that the next time! I'd say the rice really abosrbed the flavours that way?

I normally have mine with brown rice, the other half likes his white rice so we end up making both!!!

Glad you liked it!

I know it seems very simple but I think it's very tasty!

Yeah, it was very nice with the brown rice cooked directly in the stock. The only thing is though - and I didn't know that already because I've never used it before - is that brown rice takes ages to cook. I'd say it must have been an hour and by that time the yellow and red peppers had almost disappeared. I think as well because the cooking time was so long that the rice turned out more like a risotto than boiled rice.

Like the photo of the empty plate, by the way. Very Rick Stein! :D

Yeah, it was very nice with the brown rice cooked directly in the stock. The only thing is though - and I didn't know that already because I've never used it before - is that brown rice takes ages to cook. I'd say it must have been an hour and by that time the yellow and red peppers had almost disappeared. I think as well because the cooking time was so long that the rice turned out more like a risotto than boiled rice.

Like the photo of the empty plate, by the way. Very Rick Stein! :D

I thought of risotto actually when you posted your picture!

Thanks for trying it anyway!

I thought the empty plate was funny anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Had this for dinner tonight - yummy!!! Used a red onion and threw in some chilli flakes; doing the rice in chicken stock sounds good, it was nice when the stock ran into the rice anyway. :D

• Advertisement

Ooh, might have to through in some chilli flakes the next time sounds good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 celtic123

Cooked this last night was lovely!
    So simple but tasty thanks :)

I had it myself last night!!!!!

I love it, it's so tasty, it's one of my faves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Thanks for this, OP. I'm going to make it tonight for the missus! I'll let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭premiergal

Thanks for the recipe OP!
    It's so tasty my new favourite dish :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I have tried something very similar to this recently. I also cooked the rice in the stock in the pan as it absorbs all the flavours from the onions, peppers and chilli peppers.. My variation had a chopped up chilli pepper in it to make a Spicey Rice & Chicken dish. Very yummy.

Yay! So glad this went down well!!!

I really want it for dinner tonight now! :D

Advertisement