Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project management

Options
  • 08-08-2010 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

just a quick question, if you engage a project manager for your self build, do you want them involved from the inception, i.e. site finding planning etc or just for the construction process

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Construction phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FLCP

Construction phase.

Sorry to thread hijack, but on this question of PMs, can anyone tell me the rough price comparrison of engaging various types of PM?
    I know an architect/eng is essential for sign off/supervision of build quality etc, but from the perspective of day to day management of a build broken down into tender packages is it cheaper to employ a professional project manager who will get the eng in when needed, or just to go straight for having an eng as PM? If it doesn't cost a packet more then I like the idea of a trusted qualified engineer on site most days to keep an eye on things.
    Thanks
    Fl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Information Seeker

FLCP wrote: »
    Sorry to thread hijack, but on this question of PMs, can anyone tell me the rough price comparrison of engaging various types of PM?
    I know an architect/eng is essential for sign off/supervision of build quality etc, but from the perspective of day to day management of a build broken down into tender packages is it cheaper to employ a professional project manager who will get the eng in when needed, or just to go straight for having an eng as PM? If it doesn't cost a packet more then I like the idea of a trusted qualified engineer on site most days to keep an eye on things.
    Thanks
    Fl

For the day to day management, I would recommend somebody who knows whats going on. By this I mean somebody who knows the construction sequence , has a wide knowledge of building technology etc. I would recommend a qualified tradesman with supervision experience or a construction graduate with experience. Be careful, this industry is like Mr.Gump's box of chocolate.

Advertisement