Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you think of the RDS Horse Show?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 9:13pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick one to see what peoples general thoughts on the show and what they liked or disliked.

What did you think of the RDS Horse show 10 votes

Very Good
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    40% 4 votes
    Ok
    40% 4 votes
    Bad
    20% 2 votes
    Very Bad
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I only went on Thursday, but had a pleasant day. I enjoyed watching the lightweight hunter classes, and saw a small part of the draught mare classes, which was interesting. However, while I wasn't impressed by the judges' riding in the lightweight class, I don't think their actual judging was that bad.

I watched the Monty Roberts' demonstration, and it was interesting to see a different take on schooling horses, but given that it started about 20 minutes late I think it was spoiled by the fact that he was slightly rushed.

Although I wasn't there on Saturday, I was a little disappointed with the judging of the Racehorse to Riding Horse class, which I watched online. While I'm a big fan of War of Attrition, I don't think he should have won given the fact that he reared up when the judge mounted (though I think that was coming all week - I didn't see one horse in the lightweight classes respond positively to him when he sat up on them). I think there were other horses in the class who behaved better and appeared to give a better ride to the judge, although I couldn't see them shown in hand so I can't comment on their action and confirmation in the same manner. I wasn't impressed either by the fact that the class was opened to non-Irish bred horses.

There was nothing really that stood out in the tradestands, and the only thing I actually bought were a few pairs of long socks for under my riding boots. I have all the 'basics' like headcollars, leadropes, etc. and although I was on the look out for some nice helmet covers and leather riding gloves, I didn't see any that really suited my needs, while the gloves I found were either half a size too big or half a size too small! :(

If I had been on the look out for a pair of riding boots, I'd definitely have bought them from the Italian guy who's been at the show for the last few years. I could have gotten a lovely pair of leather boots for about 170 euro!

I enjoyed watching the Puissance and GP on the TV over the weekend and glad that I could still see it even though I wasn't able to be there.

Price of the food was horrendously expensive, as per usual. Complete rip off! :mad: I'm very glad I had brought some food with me!

The arts and craft exhibition was good, and there were some lovely pieces from 'up-and-coming' artists. It was also nice to visit the library there and see the exhibition on the Army Equitation School. The antiques section was enjoyable, too.

Definitely not a fan of ladies day... Happened to eat my lunch in front of the stage and after 5 minutes my head was completely wrecked by overly giggly and/or noisy girls who were completely uncomfortable in their 'finest fashions', not to mention the MC who was 'hosting' the event on the stage!

Overall, I had a pleasant, if quiet, day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Had a great 3 days. Went Friday (last min decision), Saturday and Sunday. It's hard ta beat walking around the horse show with you're good friends, watching some of the best horses in Ireland preform. :)

The prices for things were a bit steep but that was to be expected. Holmestead was cheap, but packed! So I ended up only buying one or two things.

The worst thing was the silence between me and a friend in particular but then I was staying with him and see him every day anyway because we are in the same stables so you would run outa things to say eventually. :pac:

Other than that, I can't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

I was there from Wednesday to Friday - food and drink were as expensive as previous years (at least theyve not gone up!). Watched the potential event horse loose jumping on Weds evening and left after a few minutes - I thought the arena was too small, the noise coming from the ring bar was unbearable and the stewards didn't know what they were doing putting the fences up. Watched a few things in the Main Arena on Thursday and was disappointed with the sound - could hardly hear the commentators in the Angelsea stand. Just watching the TV coverage now, the stands look pretty empty compared to previous years - could the RDS not lower the seating prices to encourage more people in - it's almost embarrassing televising an event that people could not be bothered to attend!
    All in all a few days good fun and looking forward to my first unaffiliated 5 day horse show next week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would agree with the stands, I could only find one jump in the grand prix with a decent background (people) Selling seating on the day at reduced prices could get around this. Food wasnt too bad, guys and girls in the Media centre are very helpful (even compared to other events I cover)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Was there yesterday (Sunday). Great day all considered. Couldn't get near Monty Roberts - ended up watching it on the screen. Would agree about the seating prices. We couldn't even get a seat in the Anglesea stand for the Hunt Chase, despite the fact it was half empty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Guinness was lovely in the pocket bar on Friday anyway, no complaints from us at €5 a pint. Ruby W. was there, R. Whitaker was great craic!
    It's the best spot to be for the Aga Khan.
    The Dutch team arrived in afterwards with the trophy.
    Spent 6 hours there Fri!

Advertisement