Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regarding league placements - 5 exam games

• 08-08-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

Forget what they're called, but my question is regarding the 5 games you play before you are ranked.

I've had 2 so far, but just used a rush tactic, and basically slaughtered my opponent. But if I do this for the next 3 will I be put into a good league ?

Because I am new, the tactic is nooby, and obviously the people its working against are fairly new like myself and arent expecting it, however if I get placed into a high league, I'd just be raped.

Is it worth me losing the next 3 games purposely to avoid constant rape ?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Well either way the 'rush build' your using probably wouldn't really work against a gold league player or higher and if you continued to use it you'd probably get demoted to the silver/bronze league. My advise would be to just play normally for the next 3 games and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah, I did, tried playin normally, got hammered in all 3

1st game - done in by 2 Terran fighters (cloaked) - lesson= build sensors early I suppose, but thats tough on Protoss

2nd - got rush by about 10 stalkers - had nothing to defend against it really, well, nothin to counter them

3rd - rushed by Zerglings + those hard shall things, not Hydras ....dunno what the Protoss counter for that is,

Bronze league for me, bring on more rape :( ....goes to get the vasoline :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gybe

The placement match system actually looks at alot more than just who you are winning against. So if you are actually playing quite slow/have poor economy management etc etc it wont put you up against diamond league players. It does start you against the lower tiers before it gets an idea of who to pit you against. I know for my placement i didn't face a single diamond league player but was put against 3 plat, 1 gold, 1 bronze and ended up in plat.

Sounds like you are still learning the game/builds so stick with it! The only way is up (harhar :cool:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Are you sure that it looks at your economy and things? For the 2v2 i won 5 but in 2 games i carried my opponent, in 2 others i was carried and the other we both did well. I got placed into platinum.

As far as i'm aware there are 5 leagues (copper, bronze, silver, gold, platinum) and 5 placement matches. This might be a giant coincidence but in the 1v1 i won 3 lost 2...silver, 2v2 i won 5 outta 5 ... platinum. Friend of mine won 4 out of 5 and got gold. Definately seeing a pattern. I have googled it but no answers available as of yet, at least that i have been able to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

(copper, bronze, silver, gold, platinum)

??? copper

Didnt know there was a copper, I assumed bronze was the bottom

you left out diamond btw

i thought it was bronze silver gold diamond and platinum...

i'm sitting tight in silver in all my set ups except 2v2 where i'm in gold.

• Advertisement

Are you sure there is a diamond league? I haven't found it referenced anywhere.
    It could be that they changed copper to diamond after beta and bumped the leagues accordingly as a lot of what i read references beta.

EDIT: Diamond replaced copper during a beta patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gybe

guys the leagues are diamon->platinum->gold->silver->bronze (thats highest to lowest).

Copper was ditched during the beta and they added diamond as the highest league. And yes placement does look at alot more than just wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Gybe wrote: »
    guys the leagues are diamond->platinum->gold->silver->bronze (thats highest to lowest).

Copper was ditched during the beta and they added diamond as the highest league. And yes placement does look at alot more than just wins
    Look at the victory screen. It analyses more than just who won. B.Net will spot if you had a better game than your opponent (better economy, bigger army, less lost units/buildings) even if your opponent beat you.

I read on b.net forums that Platinum is the highest possible placement. Diamond has to be reached through ladder games.

I think I will miss the lack of a Copper league!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im placed 75th in my division of the bronze league, i too was hopeful of a copper league.
    A safety net of sorts i suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MistaMagoo

Dacian wrote: »

I think I will miss the lack of a Copper league!

Its just the same as bronze now, it was removed because bliz didnt want to dishearten new players too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

MistaMagoo wrote: »
    Its just the same as bronze now, it was removed because bliz didnt want to dishearten new players too much.
    I love this positive affirmation thing the yanks do. In the single player 'Easy' means its basicaly a tutorial while 'Normal means easy.

Wouldn't being in the Copper league make you want to improve and get promoted? God forbid a player might be informed that they aren't very good! Logical I suppose that Blizzard want to keep as many customers as they can.

the players you play against after league placement still seems quite varied.

i'm in the upper half of my silver division (just below top 10, fluctuate from 12-15) but i seem to play alot of bronze and a few gold players most of the time...And the skills varied too. I've beaten gold players much easier then a few bronze who were much better then me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the players you play against after league placement still seems quite varied.

i'm in the upper half of my silver division (just below top 10, fluctuate from 12-15) but i seem to play alot of bronze and a few gold players most of the time...And the skills varied too. I've beaten gold players much easier then a few bronze who were much better then me.
    That's the flaw in the placement system, whos to say a noob couldn't win 5 placement matches just by being put against even worse players or a really good experienced player was put up against even better experienced players and lost all 5 games. I think after these first placement matches your league placement should be decided on your seasonly results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

The system will probably be pretty inaccurate for the first few months but once everyone gets enough games under their belt it should be pretty good at putting people in the right leagues.

That said, in my opinion the biggest problem was when they changed placement matches from 10 to 5. I know 10 might be alot of games to people who are just getting into the game but it gives a much bigger pool of games to decide what league someone should be in.

well i deserved to be put in bronze and worked up to silver :D

I hope to get lower level gold at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to question what the hell I'm doing.

I've been allocated Gold 1v1, Gold 2v2, Gold 3v3 and have 2 gold team rankings with friends.

I consider myself a bronze player, possibly silver maybe, but nowhere near gold.

I have no idea how it decides, although all my placements ive won like 4 or 5.

With two friends we finished 5-0 in 3v3 and got put into bronze league : /

And me and dustaz are off to a rough start at like 3-3 and we are gold or something : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Don't question it too much, depends on the team you play mostly afaik. Thought the 5-0 is just wierd :P.

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Don't question it too much, depends on the team you play mostly afaik. Thought the 5-0 is just wierd :P.

It was very strange alright...

I'm getting beaten pretty badly in 1v1 gold league at the moment, winning one match for every 3 losses id say.

In 2v2 gold I seem to be constantly paired with morons and its pretty much 2v1 every game which is very frustrating.

I'm considering just playing a few 1v1 a day and just playing arranged 2v2 with friends where I know I'm not alone : /

What i have noticed is that when you play 2v2 random, you end up playing against premade teams who work together much better than you can with a random partner.

Being in the platinum league, I think i've won one game out of 6 and usually end up playing a very well coordinated enemy. How I wish i could drop down a league :(

Does the random league throw you up against arranged teams?

In WC3 it was seperate. 2v2 random pitted two random people together, 2v2 arranged was players who knew each other.

If the 2v2 random league allows me to be paired with a random against premade teams, the whole league is a load of bollox and defies the point of it all, thats insane.

It also makes it explanable why I'm trashing most opponents in arranged 2v2, except games with Dustaz : /

I'd be really annoyed to find out thats the way it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I've played some ATs as random and they're usually at least one league lower than us. E.g, I'm Platinum, the other team was Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I just started doing my placement matches, I know that its hard for 5 placements matches to be determined what league you should play in, But I do think that the placement matches after 2/3 goes tries and match you up with someone similar to your play style.

First 2 placement matches were dead easy, played the guys and after 9 mins or so they left. 3rd placement lasted a bit longer with a guy with the same play stlye, but i ended up winning that one. then for my 4th match I was playing against someone with the exact same style. ie the score screen had us pretty much equal with unspent resources, workers built, all that shingans. So I do think that the placement even tries and matches you with people that have similar screen score results.

Took me this long to start playing placement matches cause I was scared to go in and get my ass handed to me.

Will my past results always stay? Or will there me seasons on battle.net and when a season is up your data is cleaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i think people are saying your level is decided by what level of opponent you defeated, ie if you are new and you beat 1 platinum 2 gold 3 silver then you will prob end up in level silver or gold.

i found the ladder is pretty sh!t unless they do a fix on some balances or do some work around or something:

1v1 game: i see a terran player in 9/10 games. wall up MMM or marine+banshee or tanks MM. JESUS!
    2v2, 3v3 games are all against friend team. seriously, i mean, seriously??is pure luck when in team game,heck,is total gamble :pac:

i have never seen myself on the slightly favored or favored side (show on the loading screen).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Guys please sort yourselves out with a partner.. playing with randoms? are you crazy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I rarely see a terran in my 1v1 games, usually zerg the odd time protos.. but 1/10 games for me is terran

give me your 9/10 ... I can at least give terran a good fight, i've only won one against zerg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol either the system is really fcked up or it is intended to pick a race that you are bad against to??

i prefer playing against protoss, at least they cant completely block off chokepoint
    Stingerbar wrote: »
    Guys please sort yourselves out with a partner.. playing with randoms? are you crazy?

stingerbar ya coming for the boards game tomorrow?:D

I'm getting mostly Terran v Terran. The odd one protoss, who I havnt lost to yet

I'm raging about the 2v2 thing, cause I prefer team games then 1v1, but playing against arranged teams with a random is stupid : /

Thankfully I'm building up my catalogue of people to play with

Had a succesful 3v3 run with Funky and Dustaz from here, think we finished 6-2 or something like that

Most importantly, got my firebat, ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I won 4 out 5 placement matches putting me in the platinum section, haven't won a game since, BAH! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I've lost my first two placement matches in 1v1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how in the hell do you get promoted to silver league? i've been ranked #1 in my bronze division for a few hours now, and i've won a number of games since then but still nothing. i wanted to get it done by tonight, but ive been playing all day and i'm kinda tapped out

--edit

nevermind, finally got it. I was just playing my last game of the night, and as it ended I got promoted.

that was a productive day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Congrats :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

how in the hell do you get promoted to silver league? i've been ranked #1 in my bronze division for a few hours now, and i've won a number of games since then but still nothing. i wanted to get it done by tonight, but ive been playing all day and i'm kinda tapped out

--edit

nevermind, finally got it. I was just playing my last game of the night, and as it ended I got promoted.

that was a productive day

Congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Lost all my 1v1 placement matches but won one (technically two but the guy disconnected at the start of the game so it doesn't count) league match!

Advertisement