Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self confidence with women needs improvement

Options
  • 08-08-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a mid twenties male. I have a real problem approaching new girls and being myself around girls I like.

Many girls have fallen in love with me over the years. But never girls I myself actually feel the same way about. I think there must be some connection. Its like with girls I'm interested in I don't take risks in being myself around, I just play it safe and stick to normal conversation.

If I can tell a girl likes me but I'm not interested in her I'm amazingly confident and really funny, charming etc.

I have lots of great friends so I'm not miserable or anything. I'm just concerned that in a few years I'm going to end up settling with someone I don't love because I don't want to be alone. Its really important to me that the person I end up with is someone I really love who thinks the way I do and is also my best friend as well as partner.

Approaching girls on nights out I fancy - I just can't do it so I always end up with girls who approach me - doesn't happen too often and they're usually not very attractive. The ones I do find attractive usually get bored after a few minutes because I'm pathetically un-entertaining with them

I did one of those legal high drugs a few months ago. I was able to approach anyone I wanted and actually got good responses. Though they're now illegal and I don't think this is the kind of thing I should be using stimulants to correct.

Does anyone have any advice? Or a suggestion for a self help book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭jurgenscarl

Does anyone have any advice? Or a suggestion for a self help book?

There are lots of books out there but The Mystery Method is the best of the lot IMHO.

This is the basic summary.

dibujoca5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

There are lots of books out there but The Mystery Method is the best of the lot IMHO.

dibujoca5.png

Fresh from a PUA handbook I assume?

hobochris wrote: »
    Fresh from a PUA handbook I assume?

Yes.

6a0109815f5431000d010980ca7f26000b-500pi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

OP - so you are a bit shy with women you are probably going thru what most adult guys go thru at some stage and grow out of. I think you just aren't comfortable around women.

Some people use Pick Up Artist Manuals like those links above. Maybe they work with initial nerves. Just like your legal highs and you didnt worry what skite came out of your mouth - so why should you worry now.

You don't say if you have any women friends & I suspect you dont.So you need to get to know some women and like women as people to be comfortable around them.

Do you work with women then go to lunch with them and thats a good place to start.Join a club or something -even like hill walking or ballroom dancing classes or am dram group-that women also go to. Even a political party anything that gets you interacting.

Now if you are embarressed by flamboyant women -why not go to some burlesque events etc. Its very dressy up and cabaret and very suave and the women are very confident.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1290

You will probably find that the girls who like you -do so anyway and are every bit as tongue tied as you and all you need to be is a bit more comfortable around them.

I reckon you have a bit more going for you then you think & that hanging around with women will help you relax around them.

All you need is practice talking to women and they are another gender -not another species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Im no expert but Id agree with CDfm.

Its all about confidence, or lack of in your case. Go out and have some fun chatting to people. Dont worry about scoring and dont overthink things.

Relying on drugs or on methods in a book is a waste of time.You want people to get with you because they like you not because you're being someone you're not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Op your allowed to feel nervous who doesnt all the feelings you experence are normal for any one... you say you feel a lone beign honest I think thats a damm sight better then feeling lonely....

ok this pua **** you gotta buy into it before you can believe it... personally im not so hot on the pua thing while some of it makes sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Hi Op, I'm female so not sure if my advice will be any good to you but...

Firstly, **** that book! or anyother similiar nonscience. There's nothing worst that some guy who's clearly trying to replicate something recommended by someone else and mostly more suited to America & their approach to dating. You can spot it a mile off and its so not natural.
    Its usually smarmy, pathetic rubbish. Just be you're natural self.

At the risk of being disowned by woman everywhere, why not pick three women you are interested in, start with the one you like least, practice on approaching her etc, learn from it and work your way up gaining confidence from these experiences. Start practicing with those that you wouldn't be overly bothered if you have no success with.

All you need is practice & stay away from the drugs.

Good Luck

Firstly, **** that book!

You've clearly never read it so how would you know?:rolleyes:
    There's nothing worst that some guy who's clearly trying to replicate something recommended by someone else and mostly more suited to America & their approach to dating.

The OP's says what does at the moment is not working. He came onto boards.ie looking for advice.
    You can spot it a mile off and its so not natural.Its usually smarmy, pathetic rubbish.

Again you have no way of knowing having not read the book.
    Just be you're natural self

Could you be more vague?:)
    The guy is anxious and lacking in confidence.
    He needs to change himself into a confident guy who can approach and attract women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

The guy is anxious and lacking in confidence.
    He needs to change himself into a confident guy who can approach and attract women.

Wow :rolleyes: what are you some sort of pua guru ?

So what he changes the way dress's runs some engineered method of how to chat up a woman in order to what feel more confident?

No that's the wrong way to go about it. While yes some P.U.A books can give marginal advice, on talking with women as I've said, its engineered.

That says something generally when i chat to girls I do it on the fly have a bit of banter if i begin to think shes one of those women who indecently
    who thinks shes to good for me or there's no real interest i walk the other way...

I don't waste my time with pua bull you don't need to, being decently well dressed being able to "communicate" that's all you need and a sense of humour.....

Id like to know how you can justfy saying he needs to change him self into a confident guy. When to point out the writer Mystory hmmm,

didnt he have something like 3 nervous breaks downs over wome while being a pua.....

Get something into your brain, Its 90% bull sh!t 10% truth And not to mention a money making racket!!!

jurgenscarl, I haven't read that particular book but I have read a lot of sales books working in sales and know the techniques.

I think what offends people about the pua approach is that its manipulative in a notches on bedpost kind of way. I am not saying that some women arent doing the same.

The aim of pua's male & female is a bit predatory and thats what upsets people and they think its unethical.

Some people dont want to sleep with a randommer but want a releationship others are into no strings attached sex. And its the former and not the latter that would be offended.

Now i have been stung for the cost of a few dinners in my time but realationships are not transactions.

It works for some people but not for others -now it wouldnt be for me.

Thats my ten cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

jurgenscarl, please stop posting the pua stuff in this and other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the suggestion. Though it isn't really a seduction book I'm after. It is more I just want to "be myself" around girls I like. I'm pretty confident around people I know, just fall to pieces with a girl if I really like her. Though it might be helpful for approaching new women.
    CDfm wrote: »
    OP - so you are a bit shy with women you are probably going thru what most adult guys go thru at some stage and grow out of. I think you just aren't comfortable around women.

Some people use Pick Up Artist Manuals like those links above. Maybe they work with initial nerves. Just like your legal highs and you didnt worry what skite came out of your mouth - so why should you worry now.

You don't say if you have any women friends & I suspect you dont.So you need to get to know some women and like women as people to be comfortable around them.

Do you work with women then go to lunch with them and thats a good place to start.Join a club or something -even like hill walking or ballroom dancing classes or am dram group-that women also go to. Even a political party anything that gets you interacting.

Now if you are embarressed by flamboyant women -why not go to some burlesque events etc. Its very dressy up and cabaret and very suave and the women are very confident.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1290

You will probably find that the girls who like you -do so anyway and are every bit as tongue tied as you and all you need to be is a bit more comfortable around them.

I reckon you have a bit more going for you then you think & that hanging around with women will help you relax around them.

All you need is practice talking to women and they are another gender -not another species.

Its true I don't have any proper female friends now, but in the past I did. I'm not sure it is really a women phobia but more a "women i like" phobia

I just got a job will be starting at the end of the month. Will take suggestion on board
    Im no expert but Id agree with CDfm.

Its all about confidence, or lack of in your case. Go out and have some fun chatting to people. Dont worry about scoring and dont overthink things.

Relying on drugs or on methods in a book is a waste of time.You want people to get with you because they like you not because you're being someone you're not

See I have been doing that recently, its just I find with pubs in Dublin they're all so loud its rare you'll get talking to a girl by chance. Kind of feel I need to get the ball rolling.
    Op your allowed to feel nervous who doesnt all the feelings you experence are normal for any one... you say you feel a lone beign honest I think thats a damm sight better then feeling lonely....

ok this pua **** you gotta buy into it before you can believe it... personally im not so hot on the pua thing while some of it makes sense...

I know what you mean its just this has been happening for 10 years. Anytime I've had a chance with a girl I really like I've f*cked it up royally by being too nervous. And the opportunities are becoming fewer and further between!
    Sound Bite wrote: »
    Hi Op, I'm female so not sure if my advice will be any good to you but...

Firstly, **** that book! or anyother similiar nonscience. There's nothing worst that some guy who's clearly trying to replicate something recommended by someone else and mostly more suited to America & their approach to dating. You can spot it a mile off and its so not natural.
    Its usually smarmy, pathetic rubbish. Just be you're natural self.

At the risk of being disowned by woman everywhere, why not pick three women you are interested in, start with the one you like least, practice on approaching her etc, learn from it and work your way up gaining confidence from these experiences. Start practicing with those that you wouldn't be overly bothered if you have no success with.

All you need is practice & stay away from the drugs.

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestion but very low on women so to speak. Just to clarify about the drugs I am in no way entertaining the idea of using them in the future. I only mentioned it because it kind of showed me I could get a good response when my nervousness was taken away. I just need a natural method of removing the nervousness!
    Wow :rolleyes: what are you some sort of pua guru ?

So what he changes the way dress's runs some engineered method of how to chat up a woman in order to what feel more confident?

No that's the wrong way to go about it. While yes some P.U.A books can give marginal advice, on talking with women as I've said, its engineered.

That says something generally when i chat to girls I do it on the fly have a bit of banter if i begin to think shes one of those women who indecently
    who thinks shes to good for me or there's no real interest i walk the other way...

I don't waste my time with pua bull you don't need to, being decently well dressed being able to "communicate" that's all you need and a sense of humour.....

Id like to know how you can justfy saying he needs to change him self into a confident guy. When to point out the writer Mystory hmmm,

didnt he have something like 3 nervous breaks downs over wome while being a pua.....

Get something into your brain, Its 90% bull sh!t 10% truth And not to mention a money making racket!!!

Whilst I'm skeptical about the pua approach I do actually agree with jurgenscarl that I need to become more confident around women. I don't mean like an arrogant centre of attention way just I need to stop being nervous with girls because I like them.

I probably should have pointed out that I am sometimes (though not to same extent) nervous around guys if I want to be friends with them. Like when I was in college there were lads I saw about the place and drank with occasionally I was always a bit nervous about calling in to them in case they didn't want me there.

So when I asked about recommending a book I was more thinking something to help with self esteem

Thanks for all the replies guys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMHO why the PUA types and the crapola they fall for gets the audience they do is down to a few factors. Changing gender roles, men not quite being sure of theirs anymore etc, but a lot of the time its because the usual advice is about as useful as a comb to a bald man. It's only hitting the sides at best.

The most obvious one is "just be yourself". Meant in genuine kindness but practically and objectively pretty bloody useless. The OP is and has been "himself" and it's not working for him. When he stopped being himself or at least his normal self through the dubious vector of legal highs he had more success. While it is useful to admonish that choice as the chap did himself, its not so useful to ignore the whys of that.

The biggest thing the drugs gave him was confidence. AKA "I forgot I was me and my personal social hangups for a while". Now "be confident" is up there with "be yourself". Well meaning but again useless. Like telling a depressed person to cheer up or more like telling a fat person to eat less, move more. Its way more complex than that and like someone struggling with a belly, its a process and requires work and emulation of those around you who possess it "naturally". So on this score at least I agree with jurgenscarl on this point and its one of the PUA things that has some basis in reality.

So what steps would I take in your position? First sort out your "look". If you're a bit arseways in dress and are still wearing WoW tee shirts beyond the age of 20, then ask someone to go with you on a shopping trip. Preferably a woman mate. Someone with a more forceful personality can get away with it, if not it's a lot harder to. Maybe get your hair styled. If you're losing it to a fair extent, break out the number two blade. While women aren't as obviously visual as men, they still are(may even be more so) and will respond to someone who appears to take care in how they look. Not too much, but enough to know you have made an effort. If you make an effort about yourself, you're more likely to make an effort among those around you.

Social confidence. OK I'm really gonna get slated for this one.... IMHO, except in cases of genuine social phobia, shyness is a very self indulgent mindset for the most part. It's all about how you feel you may come across to others. It's all about your ego. Its feck all to do with others. So try to remember that others have their own crap to deal with, so yours won't really register much. Also remember you're on this earth for a short enough time, so why waste it worrying about how others feel about you? Your gravestone won't and neither will theirs.
    If I can tell a girl likes me but I'm not interested in her I'm amazingly confident and really funny, charming etc.
    And why is that? Because you don't care. It makes no difference to you except as an ego boost. Well try to imagine that feeling when dealing with a woman you do like. Oh it'll be hard at first, but with effort and practice it won't be in time.

Try to strike up conversations with random people, men and women. Just talk. What have you to lose? Nothing at all. Both you and they won't be around in 100 years and weren't around 100 years ago so why worry?

If the rest of your life, career, living space, hobbies health, interests, focus etc arent fulfilling you then work on them. For you. That'll make a big diff. Get yourself right and any women problems will go away. Or at least a new set may arise ;):D

My 3 cents anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You've clearly never read it so how would you know?:rolleyes:

Ok - you're allowed to suggest the OP reads the book. What you're *not* allowed to do is soapbox about it. You think the book is good, others disagree, that's life. If you want to be a PUA evangelist, find another forum - it's not gonna fly in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just to reiterate what two mods here have already said, promotion of PUA and PUA techniques is no longer allowed in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Metalfan

just be yourself and act confident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wibbs wrote: »
    IMHO why the PUA types and the crapola they fall for gets the audience they do is down to a few factors. Changing gender roles, men not quite being sure of theirs anymore etc, but a lot of the time its because the usual advice is about as useful as a comb to a bald man. It's only hitting the sides at best.

The most obvious one is "just be yourself". Meant in genuine kindness but practically and objectively pretty bloody useless. The OP is and has been "himself" and it's not working for him. When he stopped being himself or at least his normal self through the dubious vector of legal highs he had more success. While it is useful to admonish that choice as the chap did himself, its not so useful to ignore the whys of that.

The biggest thing the drugs gave him was confidence. AKA "I forgot I was me and my personal social hangups for a while". Now "be confident" is up there with "be yourself". Well meaning but again useless. Like telling a depressed person to cheer up or more like telling a fat person to eat less, move more. Its way more complex than that and like someone struggling with a belly, its a process and requires work and emulation of those around you who possess it "naturally". So on this score at least I agree with jurgenscarl on this point and its one of the PUA things that has some basis in reality.

So what steps would I take in your position? First sort out your "look". If you're a bit arseways in dress and are still wearing WoW tee shirts beyond the age of 20, then ask someone to go with you on a shopping trip. Preferably a woman mate. Someone with a more forceful personality can get away with it, if not it's a lot harder to. Maybe get your hair styled. If you're losing it to a fair extent, break out the number two blade. While women aren't as obviously visual as men, they still are(may even be more so) and will respond to someone who appears to take care in how they look. Not too much, but enough to know you have made an effort. If you make an effort about yourself, you're more likely to make an effort among those around you.

Social confidence. OK I'm really gonna get slated for this one.... IMHO, except in cases of genuine social phobia, shyness is a very self indulgent mindset for the most part. It's all about how you feel you may come across to others. It's all about your ego. Its feck all to do with others. So try to remember that others have their own crap to deal with, so yours won't really register much. Also remember you're on this earth for a short enough time, so why waste it worrying about how others feel about you? Your gravestone won't and neither will theirs.

And why is that? Because you don't care. It makes no difference to you except as an ego boost. Well try to imagine that feeling when dealing with a woman you do like. Oh it'll be hard at first, but with effort and practice it won't be in time.

Try to strike up conversations with random people, men and women. Just talk. What have you to lose? Nothing at all. Both you and they won't be around in 100 years and weren't around 100 years ago so why worry?

If the rest of your life, career, living space, hobbies health, interests, focus etc arent fulfilling you then work on them. For you. That'll make a big diff. Get yourself right and any women problems will go away. Or at least a new set may arise ;):D

My 3 cents anyway.

Not to labour a point but literally everything said in this post is 100% correct.

OP, 12 months ago, I was juuuuuuuuust the same as you in almost every way you've described yourself. I came to a lot of self-realisations in some weird moment of clarity type buzz (while sitting on the toilet, of all places) and everything Wibbs has just said filled my head out of nowhere. I bought new clothes, new aftershave, fixed up my hair, sorted out my complexion and started to view the negative aspects of my life by their opposing positives (eg, instead of thinking "my job doesn't really pay the best", I instead thought "Well.... I really love my job!"). All of these changes made me feel an awful lot more confident and now, I'm a different man. Happier. That's what's important, more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I'd like to third , what Wibbs basically is saying that if you continue doing the same things you will continue to reap the same results. So you have to decide to get out of your old way of thinking and recreate yourself as a new confident spanking brand new you. To do that you will have to see yourself as being successful in life and at talking to girls and them enjoying your company and also change your dress style maybe as Wibbs said.

Pure confidence comes from the knowledge that you excel at something and in my case its the guitar.
    now what you mean its just this has been happening for 10 years. Anytime I've had a chance with a girl I really like I've f*cked it up royally by being too nervous. And the opportunities are becoming fewer and further between!

I'm a pretty shy guy by default I was lucky in that I've always had girls kinda interested in me and I used to royally fook up too. But then there would be more so I didn't really care.

I used to also get severe panic attacks and I'd have to run out of the place in fear and that happened a lot.

I then discovered(through meditation )how you use the breath (slow breathing) and physiology to calm down the mind . It came to the stage when I felt nervous I'd resort to slowing down the rate of breathing whenever I felt nervous .I'm still shy but its undetectable now. I did this and at the time I didn't in fact know there was a name for it at the time but it worked really well for me Its called an "anchor". Its part of the NLP.

What was a crippling thing is now a source of enlightenment.

Summary -be positive :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

If you can feel like you are fulfilled...happy on the inside then it radiates to the outside and somehow you end up forgetting about any nerves and just start having a good time:) I was painfully shy myself, as in I would rather have not been near a girl because if there was a chance I'd have needed to speak with her, I'd freak out internally and just leave the room/area!

Personally, it took me many years to gain anything resembling the confidence I now have but as I look back at my life before who I am now, I really don't know how I'd have survived :( Once you take baby steps it's all good from there, it gets better and better and before long you will have little problem chatting with women. The easiest way to start this is just friendly conversation with women, not for any romantic interest, but purely out of chatting to women and being comfortable around them and not afraid to converse with them.

Getting practice with that is essential, from there you can step it up a tiny notch each time you feel ok to move ahead:) Like Nervous Wreck said in his post about changing his style, this was his particular way of upping his confidence...or BumbleB feeling totally chilled through meditation and talking about guitar, you will have your own way and it will feel right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

just be yourself OP don't change anything for any girl. If they like you for who you are then you know the girl likes you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

just be yourself OP don't change anything for any girl. If they like you for who you are then you know the girl likes you.
    You never change for the girl, you change for yourself;)

Inner confidence is more attractive than outer beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree with pretty much everything Wibbs says, he speaks the truth, but I must jump in to defend jurgencarls and PUA techniques, party because I just like to take the opposing viewpoint, but mostly because I think a normal average guy can learn something from them.

You can learn from something, even if it is an extreme. A lot of guys, I feel, in modern Irish society especially, have been confused about their roles (as Wibbs points out) and have pretty much neglected their 'technique' for interacting with women, and have been occupying themselves doing other things (study/work/male friends/games/etc etc.. actually just games I reckon..) So I don't think a 'crash course' in how to act in these situations is such a bad thing, the intelligent person will take the valuable information from them and use it to improve themselves. I don't think it HAS to be smarmy.

In terms of advice to the OP, I think, you should just try and start thinking of yourself as a fun person to be around, and start thinking of girls as friends rather than, well.. you know...
    Try not to get too hung up on the 'oh wow this girl is really hot, I wanna take her home' when you first meet a girl. Start thinking 'oh, lets see if I cant have a bit of a laugh with this person' !
    And, you WILL have to correct your thinking to do that, I reckon, as the normal thought process is the first option, but it only takes a small conscious decision to switch.. and decide that you wanna have a laugh with someone, rather than.. errr try to start a relationship with them! You will be surprised at what happens!

This song and video puts it very well and its got a great vibe on happiness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Metalfan wrote: »
    just be yourself and act confident
    just be yourself OP
    This advice while well meaning is utterly useless in practical terms. It would be the equivalent of telling a depressed person "be happy" or an unfit person, "get fit".

Be yourself. Right so, what does that mean? The OP and others are already "being themselves" and its not working for them. So maybe themselves need a tune up? Unless your name is Mr Christ or Mr Buddha, we all can do with improving. We all have issues or problems or downright unattractive personality quirks that need work.

Be or act confident? OK. How? Easy to say if you are already or know what confidence actually means, but no use if you don't.
    You can learn from something, even if it is an extreme. A lot of guys, I feel, in modern Irish society especially, have been confused about their roles (as Wibbs points out) and have pretty much neglected their 'technique' for interacting with women, and have been occupying themselves doing other things (study/work/male friends/games/etc etc.. actually just games I reckon..) So I don't think a 'crash course' in how to act in these situations is such a bad thing, the intelligent person will take the valuable information from them and use it to improve themselves. I don't think it HAS to be smarmy.
    I agree that some help and instruction can't be a bad thing. Like trying to get fit. Taking a class with an instructor will get you there quicker and get you out of bad habits at the very start. All good. The problem is the PUA instruction itself. Yes it makes some good, if obvious points, but it clothes them in a lot of waffle. It also tends to engender a mindset that culd be damaging. Particularly to the type of personality that seeks this stuff out. The quiet guy who is uncomfortable socially and who likes to work in systems. He's much more likely to get sucked into the system and relyon and get addicted to that. Bad plan for him, great for the PUA sellers.

I've looked into the whole area. Some of the notions expressed interested me. It also interested me because there was a pretty large social/gender experiement going on and it interested me to see if there was more going on that meets the eye or what we as men(and women) think actually happens in social/sexual interactions. Ive also met one of these PUA master guys. A British guy who was running seminars here. A near two hour convo with him opened my eyes to the commercial aspect and how its tailored to its audience and gets them coming back for more. Its almost cultish in it's MO.
    In terms of advice to the OP, I think, you should just try and start thinking of yourself as a fun person to be around, and start thinking of girls as friends rather than, well.. you know...
    I agree with the first part, I dont agree so much with the second. IMHO why so many men have trouble nowadays is precisely because they see women as friends first. Not so long ago few men would have had women friends. They would have women family members and romantic partners. This made it easier for men in the sense that they had more practice dealing with women on that score. It also made it easier for the ladies as they had an idea what was going on with a guy too. Now I like that we now can have mates of either gender, but I think this has confused many men(and women) when it comes to the sexual/romantic part.

I would say if you meet women, be friendly, but do not try to be their friend. Not at first. I've said it before, but the word girlfriend has the clue to this in the name. Go for the girl/woman first and the friendship will come if it's to come. Turning a sexual/romantic partner into a friend is a lot easier than the other way around. Women themselves do this.
    Try not to get too hung up on the 'oh wow this girl is really hot, I wanna take her home' when you first meet a girl.
    Exactly. No matter how hot she is she isnt the hottest around. Hot is common. A compatible personality is far less so. No matter how hot she is, that wont make a relationship and like I say there's enough hot to go around anyway.
    Start thinking 'oh, lets see if I cant have a bit of a laugh with this person' !
    And, you WILL have to correct your thinking to do that, I reckon, as the normal thought process is the first option, but it only takes a small conscious decision to switch.. and decide that you wanna have a laugh with someone, rather than.. errr try to start a relationship with them! You will be surprised at what happens!
    I agree on the having a laugh part. Dont get into heavy convo. Avoid deep emotional stuff, especially about yourself like the very plague. Indeed copy the ladies. Generally they make the most of themselves much more than men. They have an idea what looks suit them more than men and they make an effort. They also hold more back. Few women in the first 10 mins of a convo will tell you they're a bit loopy at times/can't get or keep a man/dunno where their lives are going/etc. I've heard men say all of the above from the get go. And then wonder why the woman has no interest?

Dont look for a relationship either. Again copy the ladies. They're not telling you on the first night they want to look in jewelers windows. Well twice in my life they did, but loopers dont count. :D

Whats attractive to men and women in a man is also attractive to women full stop. A man who is socially aware. Doesnt have to be the life and soul, but not a wallflower. A man who is emotionally aware, but not overly emotional. I'll get flamed for this one but... women may claim that they want a man to be free to be in touch with his emotions, but if you go too far she wont be touching you. A man who has boundaries and knows his worth. A man who has options as far as women go. Read an interesting one there recently where some study or other has found that a woman's sexual attraction for her partner drops in concert with her feeling he would never leave her. It seems that a woman may believe 99% that her guy wont leave, but its in the 1% where the attraction lies. A man who other men like and get on with. A man who knows where he's going and who he is. A man who doesnt need a particular woman in his life but chooses as much on his terms as hers to be with her.

Now thats a long oul list and it comes with time. very very few 18 year olds are going to approach that list. It needs time and effort from the guy. Improve your life and yourself for your life and yourself and you will have zero shortage of women who will want to share in that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Women are practising ,improving their appearance and bettering themselves from the age of 15, its logical that they are going to be socially advanced than guys .I would consider myself pretty up and knowledgable with fashion but it pales in compare to women.

In their teens they read magazines with advice so as a result they are well equipped with knowledge to help them succeed in their relationships. The problem arises because the playing field is not even.

So For a lot of guys they realise there is a huge learning curve to try and play the game with women.

They look for solutions to their issues. They want quick fix solutions and thats what the self help (PUA) industry is all about.PUA s aren't actually the losers that they would believe .They are crafty individuals that are working off a business model that works ,much in the same way a franchise works.

If you look at every single one they are selling the exact same BS story.They are selling the soup in the stone if you actually are getting good its because of all the effort.

The source material is built on Science ,Studies ,Sales techniques , pseudoscience ,NLP , Hypnotic techniques and also occult practises.

Most guys meet their partners purely by default and dont understand the dynamics involved in meeting women ,Its a hell of a lot more complicated than you think , couple by the fact that most women are fickle.

The long and short, there is no golden goose out there, anybody who is good has earned it grafting , or is ridiculously good looking and even so some of those guys aren't even that successful.

Persist, that is the key. Have fun with your interactions ,go up to a girl and say "I think you're sexy " that way there is no doubt in her mind that you are into her.

If it doesn't work out move on.Then go up to another girl say the same exact thing.

Big deal ,plenty of fishies out there.

Women are practising improving their appearance and bettering themselves from the age of 15, its logical that they are going to be significantly socially advanced than guys .I would consider myself pretty up and knowledgable with fashion but it pales in compare to women.

In their teens they read magazines with advice so as a result they are well equipped with knowledge to help them succeed in their relationships. The problem arises because the playing field is not even.

So For a lot of guys they realise there is a huge learning curve to try and play the game with women.

They look for solutions to their issues. they want quick fix solutions and thats what the self help (PUA) industry is all about.PUA s aren't actually the losers that they would believe .They are in fact crafty individuals that are working off a business model that works .

If you look at every single one they are selling the exact same BS story.They are selling the soup in the stone if you actually are getting good its because of all the effort.

The source material is built on Science ,Studies ,Sales techniques , pseudoscience ,NLP , Hypnotic techniques and also occult practises.

Most guys meet their partners purely by default and dont understand the dynamics involved in meeting women ,Its a hell of a lot more complicated than you think , coupled by the fact that most women are fickle.

The long and short, there is no golden goose out there, anybody who is good has earned it grafting , or is ridiculously good looking and even so some of those guys aren't even that successful.

Persist, that is the key. Have fun with your interactions ,go up to a girl and say "I think you're sexy " that way there is no doubt in her mind that you are into her. Smile and be sincere.

If it doesn't work out move on.Say it to another girl.

Big deal ,plenty of fishies out there

go up to a girl and say "I think you're sexy " that way there is no doubt in her mind that you are into her. Smile and be sincere.

You are joking right?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Much better advice than 'be confident and be yourself', is act as though you were confident. Start off in situations that don't have such a huge cost attached. The surprising thing to most shy people is that if you act confident, people take you as being confident. Amazing - and helps to grow your own confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

I posted this in the Online Dating thread - and after reading through this post, I feel it;s relevant.

Hope the mods are fine with that.
    Absolutely.

I look at these types of interactions as improving my personal life and social circle, nothing more.

I don't have a "let's fall in love with girl a, Im significantly attracted to girl b, boy what i'd love to do to girl c" attitude.

I look at it from this point of view: If I meet someone whether it be online or out at a bar, this is a possible friend to me.

A nice, down to earth, reliable, intelligent person is someone who can add a significant amount of value to MY life.

I take romance completely out the equation and just judge people at face value.(This mindset is also a great way to avoid getting nervous when approaching girls on a night out)

If the interaction then escalates to the extent where there might be a spark there then awesome - we will see what happens.

If not, then at least I'm surrounding myself with awesome new friends.

It's a total win-win situation for me.

There's so many different things I judge people on outwith looks, a check list if you will.

For me, it goes a little something like this(and in this order).

- Selfless
    - Intelligent
    - Focused
    - Funny
    - Fulfilled
    - Ambitious
    - Physically Attractive

Now I'm not saying that I wont be interested in someone that only has 3 of these qualities - they all link in well anyway - I'm just saying that that's my ideal woman.

If you ask someone randomly what their ideal woman looks like they might say "Long legs, blonde hair, blue eyes, big . . ." you get the idea.

Well that checklist is what my ideal woman looks like and I genuinely mean it when I say in that order. I would urge all guys to find out what their ideal woman looks like and have their own little trigger list.

Specifically relating to the online dating subject: If someone has an outstandingly well written profile and projects qualities that you find attractive then why should no picture dictate whether you should message her or not?

She could be an absolute one in a million that has a serious dislike for people who judge others only on looks - if you don't get in touch . . you'll never know.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

It's got nothing to do with your confidence around women, it's about what you want for yourself and the mindset required to move forward.

I don't know a lot about this PUA stuff but it just seems like really good online marketing from what I've googled. Work on you being more relaxed in social interactions IN GENERAL and it'll fall into place.

Advertisement