Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get into online content writing/copywriting/freelance writing...

Options
  • 08-08-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all,

I have always been interested in writing, but I had never really thought pursuing it professionally when I was younger (in spite of the fact that people had often remarked that writing was one of my strengths).

In any case...

I studied languages at third level (French and German, but the course also involved completing technical writing assignments), but I dropped out part way through the third year of a four-year degree, due to personal circumstances at the time.

I have since retrained and qualified as an accountant, but I have been thinking lately that I would like to explore the possibility of writing professionally for a living. I'm not so sure that I would enjoy Technical Writing as a career (I found it quite restrictive when I did it in college), so I have been thinking more along the lines of copywriting/content writing for websites.
    I quite enjoy writing humorous pieces as well, but I think that breaking into comedy writing would be significantly more difficult!

So my questions are these:

What sort of qualifications would I need?
    Can these qualifications be sought in Dublin?
    Does anyone think I am crazy after having spent years qualifying as an accountant?(!)
    Is it feasible that I could complete the appropriate courses, prepare a portfolio and eventually become self-employed?
    Is it possible to offer free content writing services to website developers in order to build a portfolio? How should this be done?

I like certain aspects of accountancy (knowing how a business works etc)., but I am really craving a creative outlet at this stage and I really enjoy writing, information, research, creative thinking etc.. I've started writing and submitting slogans that I have come up with to various websites just to get my thoughts flowing, but that is as far as I have gotten...

I would be very grateful for any advice that anyone could offer...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hwiser

There are a lot of of freelance jobs website where you can offer your services. Websites like odesk.com or elance.com or better yet create your own website and offer your writing services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I think more feedback on the OP's queries would be nice.

There is a strong focus on the novel in this forum and that's understandable but I too am quite curious about writing for the web, copywriting and freelance writing.

Indeed even if you have a career you can follow these pursuits on a part-time basis.

The keys of course are

a) motivation: don't give up if your article isn't published in the Irish Times within a month

b) knowing how to get started: feedback please

And I think the best type of feedback is that which quotes specific examples or even a case-study rather than the more generalised and cliched advice that is usually forthcoming in these situations.

So if anyone can recall what specific strategies they used to get their foot in the door then please share.

Practical advice is particularly welcome, from what websites to refer to?, how to compose/deliver your pitch?, what etiquette is involved in interviewing somebody?, how you go about choosing a topic/article that could possibly be accepted?, how to fill up the contacts book? and what money you can make in the early stages?

Please assume person has no portfolio, no contacts and no hope (that's where you come in :))

Please don't comment on pedantic stuff like grammar, style etc...'tis 3.41 am for goodness sake, I'm knackered and this ain't an interview

but thanks again for anything you can share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I have since retrained and qualified as an accountant, but I have been thinking lately that I would like to explore the possibility of writing professionally for a living. I'm not so sure that I would enjoy Technical Writing as a career (I found it quite restrictive when I did it in college), so I have been thinking more along the lines of copywriting/content writing for websites.
    I quite enjoy writing humorous pieces as well, but I think that breaking into comedy writing would be significantly more difficult!

So my questions are these:

What sort of qualifications would I need?
    Can these qualifications be sought in Dublin?
    Does anyone think I am crazy after having spent years qualifying as an accountant?(!)
    Is it feasible that I could complete the appropriate courses, prepare a portfolio and eventually become self-employed?
    Is it possible to offer free content writing services to website developers in order to build a portfolio? How should this be done?

I like certain aspects of accountancy (knowing how a business works etc)., but I am really craving a creative outlet at this stage and I really enjoy writing, information, research, creative thinking etc.. I've started writing and submitting slogans that I have come up with to various websites just to get my thoughts flowing, but that is as far as I have gotten...

Hi, I'll try to answer some of your questions, although my knowledge is a bit limited.

Qualifications: technically you don't need any qualifications. It depends what sort of writing you want to do. U.C.D. and Trinity offer post-grad courses in creative writing. A bachelor's qualification is desired for these courses but not required, and you submit a sample of writing.

If you were interested in journalism, I think D.C.U. and D.I.T. offer B.A.s in Journalism. There are also lots of courses in the U.K. you could look into.

I don't think you're crazy at all. You're following your dream. I would say be cautious; it's a tough market to break.

Online portfolio: I think Suite101.com would be right up your street. You submit a sample of work to register, and then you can write articles about whatever you like. They pay you by the number of hits it receives. I have not started using this site yet (but I intend to), so I cannot say what the money is like. It's not much, I imagine, but it's something.

Perhaps you could also consider an internship with an advertising agency as a copy-based intern?

Other tips: Start a blog. Network, and put yourself out there. There are really useful blog by Irish writers out there:

Emerging Writer and Eimear Ryan are two I like.

Keep an eye out for competitions and enter loads. They're great for motivation, look good on a C.V. if you win, and are fun. I have a thread on Writing Competitions which I will try to update more often.

Try to write every day, then edit, edit, edit. Most of the time half the battle is just sitting down to work.

Best of luck.

EDIT: also read lots, of course. That's just as important as writing. If you're tight for money, your local library is a God-send. From the type of writing you want to get into, I think you'd enjoy Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem, The White Album, and The Year of Magical Thinking. The first two are collections of articles and essays. Read them to give yourself something to aim towards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you can write well, accurately and entertainingly, there is no need to stick to websites. Try working as a freelance for the newspapers and the radio.

I worked as a full time freelance journalist for most of my working life, after training in accountancy. I have no qualifications at all in journalism, but I made the average industrial wage writing for newspapers.

If you have a great idea, ring the right editor (the reception desk will tell you who), talk about your idea and if they are interested, ask when they want it, how long they want it, and how much they will pay if they use it. Then deliver exactly what you promised. They may not use it, but it's still worth trying again with another idea.

Once you are making regular money as a journalist, join the NUJ and get your press card.

EileenG wrote: »
    If you can write well, accurately and entertainingly, there is no need to stick to websites. Try working as a freelance for the newspapers and the radio.

I worked as a full time freelance journalist for most of my working life, after training in accountancy. I have no qualifications at all in journalism, but I made the average industrial wage writing for newspapers.

If you have a great idea, ring the right editor (the reception desk will tell you who), talk about your idea and if they are interested, ask when they want it, how long they want it, and how much they will pay if they use it. Then deliver exactly what you promised. They may not use it, but it's still worth trying again with another idea.

Once you are making regular money as a journalist, join the NUJ and get your press card.

Thanks for that, good stuff!

any chance you can delve into a bit mroe detail when you have a bit of time.

Let's take a specific example.

Imagine I am in Cork city and a local music store that has been around for years is closing down. I say to myself, I'll write a story about that. So imagine I go down to the music store and ask the employees if they'll talk (Do I need them so sign some agreement about releasing the info? How to record what they say - recorder or ntoebook?)

Then after that maybe contact someone higher up in the music store or some figure in the music industry about the problems of illegal downloading (how to find them? and again need for release info contract and mode of recording?)

then research stuff on the net about the problem, get some stats/figures etc (how to quote your sources, how to find reputable info??)

so forget about the pitch to the newspaper editor at the moment, just the nuts and bolts of actually going about compiling the story itself - any pointers?

oh and everybody says journalism is a tough industry to break into, so the emerging need for web content writers is something people could target, anyone know the best way to get a slice of that pie?

• Advertisement

Writing for the web is easy. Getting paid for writing for the web is difficult.

Let's take your example. I would start by talking to the editor, see if they already have someone covering this, and if they are interested. If you get the go-ahead, go down and interview anyone who will talk to you. You don't have to get any special permission or get them to sign anything, just make sure they know you are a journalist.

I'm always amazed at what people will tell reporters. Sometimes I remind them that I am a reporter, and they'll still keep coming out with all sorts of astonishing personal details.

Use a notebook. Recorders break down or run out of batteries at the worst times, and they take ages to play back to find the one perfect quote that you are sure is in there. With a notebook, you can flick back over your notes before you go, clarify anything that's dubious, and make sure you have everything covered. And if a case ends up in court, your notebook will save your ass.

Check details, like how to spell names, and get phone numbers in case you need to get back to anyone.

After that, get on the phone, and phone anyone else you need to talk to. Your ability to find the person you need is often what will separate a mediocre story from a great one.

By all means, use the internet for background, but make sure you check all facts with a real person. There's a lot of "everyone knows" rubbish on the net.

Then write it up, starting with the high point, and elaborating from there. Keep it factual, keep it interesting and keep yourself out of it. If you must appear, just say "I". I really hate "This reporter" or worse "This column" ****.

Would you consider doing an part-time journalism course? Lots of places do them. You could even do one online.

It may not necessarily help your writing style but it would help you with the nuts and bolts of the jobs, and it would be a nice way to start pursuing your interest and see if you enjoy it.

despite my constant spelling mistakes and poor grammar in posts (I write these very quickly while doing other stuff) I actually have a degree in english literature and history and a grad dip in technical communication, i'd like to pursue this stuff as just a hobby for a while, build up a portfolio and then see where it takes me, if anywhere

donfers wrote: »
    despite my constant spelling mistakes and poor grammar in posts (I write these very quickly while doing other stuff) I actually have a degree in english literature and history and a grad dip in technical communication, i'd like to pursue this stuff as just a hobby for a while, build up a portfolio and then see where it takes me, if anywhere

Ah OK. I didn't mean your style was poor. :p

I meant that a short course in journalism might be good for introducing you to the technical elements of journalism (the legal side of things, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey just joining, glad to be here! I'm glad to be here last but not least, heading to publish seeing that I've been reading a extended time.

I've been involved in some other forums and have identified this spot to have much greater subject material, so it makes sense to finally submit!

BTW, what can I do to make myself have a cool title like some people here have?

• Advertisement

Ah OK. I didn't mean your style was poor. :p

I meant that a short course in journalism might be good for introducing you to the technical elements of journalism (the legal side of things, etc.)

No harm doing a course if you want to, but the legal side of journalism is pretty straight forward - you have to tell the truth. You are certainly allowed to put your angle on things, but you are not allowed to tell lies, particularly lies about people. There are a few cases where the libel law is slightly different: in reporting a court case, for instance, you don't have to prove that what you reported is true, only that it's a true representation of what was said in court.

what happens if someone says they didn't give you permission to print something or weren't aware it was going to print or weren't aware of what theme the article was going to take or weren't aware where it was going to be printed or if they say you lied or misrepresented them?

You don't need special permission to print something that someone has told you, as long as they know you are a journalist working on a story at the time they spoke to you. If someone tells you something and asks for it to be off the record, respect that. Generally, once you know something, you can find someone who is willing to be quoted on it. If they don't want to be quoted, they just don't talk to you.

If they say you lied or misrepresented what they said, you have your notebook to back you up. What does happen is people will say something (maybe go on a rant about foreigners taking our jobs) without realising how horrible they sound, and are then appalled when they see it in print, and will swear they didn't say that. Normally it's enough to read back to them what they said.

Advertisement