Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing the junior cert this year! :(

Options
  • 08-08-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

For any of last year's junior certs, I have a couple of questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them please :)

1. is it non-stop work for all of third year?

2. when should you start studying for the JC?

3. will the exams be exactly like the Summer ones, except they'll be the JC exams obvs?

Thanks in advance! :):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    For any of last year's junior certs, I have a couple of questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them please :)

3. will the exams be exactly like the Summer ones, except they'll be the JC exams obvs?

First of all, maybe the JC Forum would be more suited? But anyways:)

1.No, not at all. Maybe the last month or two(maybe a lil more) if you want to do really well. You won't be working too hard for the rest of the year tbh.

2.You'll be revising all along, but you will do most of the studying in the week or two run up to the exams of you're anything like me...

3.Teachers make Summer exams, so no. Teachers may have different lay-outs to the exams, and they are probably shorter than the actual thing (considering that in Summer tests, you won't have all of the course covered).
    You'll find examples of actual exam papers and marking schemes here.

Hope I helped in some way..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Lollipop95 wrote: »

1. Depends from school to school imo. We worked all year finishing the course and then it was papers, papers, papers. They aren't too hard though. I remember being worried I'd never be able to answer anything in Science because I forget everything, but it'll come back to you, and you're revising and you do the papers.

2. September. Make out a list of all things you need to revise for each subject [like write down all your chapters in the book]. Then as you do each one, you can tick them off. And I recommend the Less Stress More Success books for Science and Maths. Everything you need in a little book. You won't need the list if you just highlight each chapter you've revised. And the Maths is split so its everything you need for each paper in it.

3. No, not really. Its a lot more strict, but you'll be told about this in September. And it most likely wont be the same layout as the summer exams, but you'll have papers for getting used to this. :)

Study hard for the whole year. It'll mean its easier on you near the end, instead of having loads to do. If you know it, move on. If you don't know it, you will probably look over it.
    You're competing with thousands of students around the country. There are only so many A's and B's to be rewarded to you all. They're limited. You have to work as hard as possible to win the competition you're in.
    Its just like in the leaving - you're competing. And you're not gonna win that place in university if you dont work hard to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Essentially there's a lot of study involved but when you do it is your choice. If I were you (having been there before) study hard the whole year around but obviously have a lot of fun, time off and have breaks in between.

If you want any social life toward the months running up to the Junior Cert study well all year round otherwise you don't get to go out and have fun with your friends as much during those months where the weather gets better again and it's too much stress doing all the study in those leading up months.

Are they the same as Summer tests? Not in the slightest! Of course you need to know what comes up on your Summer tests but the Junior Cert is the real deal (in comparassion to the Summer tests). In my experience our teachers told us what was coming up on the tests or rather hinted to us and we just studied that; for the Junior Cert it isn't like that, the questions are usually asked different, papers marked harder, ALL areas of the course will be examined and no hints.

Don't freak out though, the State past years exam papers will show you that and they'll teach you how to answer the questions for full marks etc. Once you get the layout of the exam papers and practice them, the actual exams are a doddle!:) Exam papers will become your new best friend!:pac:

You'll do fine though, nearly everyone does, it's not the biggest exam in the world and it's an exam designed for students to do well in unlike the Leaving Cert. You just practice the exam questions and learn the answers and obviously know your course and you'll be fine, you obviously have some type of motivation if you're coming on here!:) Best of luck, you'll do great!

Advertisement