Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landing Page Review

Options
  • 08-08-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just made a new landing page for my Facebook Fan Page. Would ya mind flicking over to it and letting me know what you think?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AMP-Sound-Systems/156567775603?v=app_4949752878
    • Is it enough to make you click "Like"?
    • Can you figure out the usual "who we are, what we do"?
    • Should I include the website URL, or not distract them and concentrate on getting the "Like"?

Thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

AMPSound wrote: »
    1. Is it enough to make you click "Like"?
    2. Can you figure out the usual "who we are, what we do"?
    3. Should I include the website URL, or not distract them and concentrate on getting the "Like"?
    1. It's a great start. It gives far better information than simply landing on your wall page (with SEO benefits to match).

I'd personally flip the text a little. Concentrate on making the 'benefits of liking us' more prominent, then provide the information about the company after/below (e.g. flip the 3rd paragraph of 'Welcome to...' to make it the 1st).

I'm not sure if the clean/cold appearance of the landing page really 'matches' the energetic/youthful brand of the company. I'd look at adding in a little more colour to provide some extra impact. Perhaps include a modified version of the header image from the main site below the welcome text or else a version of the new logo (I assume you're still going for one?) down the unused section to the right. The appearance comments are subjective though, so get a wide variety rather than just taking one opinion.

It got me to click 'like', so that's a fair reflection on the benefits ;)

Probably worth setting up a username for your business page too, so that you can display it as "www.facebook.com/Amp-Sound-Systems" rather than the current "www.facebook.com/pages/bla bla bla unmemorable text". More info here if you want it.

2. The information is clear and short enough not to be overwhelming/boring, no issues there from me really.

The normal caveat applies about only providing a 'mobile number' without a landline [I'd pick up a VOIP geo number and redirect to the mobile as an alternative] (same for the website. As an aside, you have a contact form on the website [along with GA and statcounter], so you should really include a 'privacy statement' relating to what you collect, how you use it and why).

3. That one is debatable. The site is already linked to from the other pages (info, wall, etc.), so the information is there if it's wanted. Having a strong call to action (e.g. your like image) with few outside distractions can help improve conversions. Personally I think it's fine as is, but there's no 'right' answer.

Once you get the 'like', you shouldn't have any problem providing content that gets the fans to your website.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭AMPSound

Firstly, thanks so much for another detailed, well explained reply. Your comments are always valuable, and always a big benefit to me. Thank you!
    I'd personally flip the text a little. Concentrate on making the 'benefits of liking us' more prominent, then provide the information about the company after/below (e.g. flip the 3rd paragraph of 'Welcome to...' to make it the 1st).

Very good point! Doing it now!
    I'd look at adding in a little more colour to provide some extra impact. Perhaps include a modified version of the header image from the main site below the welcome text or else a version of the new logo (I assume you're still going for one?)

Colour and design is still under development. Even that banner on the website is going to go soon. Just waiting for the new logo back, so was holding off on colour choices etc till then.
    down the unused section to the right.

Apparantly Facebook are changing the max width to 520 px in a few weeks, so it should fit better then.
    It got me to click 'like', so that's a fair reflection on the benefits ;)

Thank you! :)
    Probably worth setting up a username for your business page too

Done! Thanks for the suggestion and the link.
    [I'd pick up a VOIP geo number and redirect to the mobile as an alternative]

Reading http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250586 now and will certainly get on to that. Mobile numbers turn people off more than I realised! Thanks for pointing that out.
    you should really include a 'privacy statement' relating to what you collect, how you use it and why).

That is something I have never thought about. Will do some research and try implement something.

And again - thanks so much for all feedback! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Colour and design is still under development. Even that banner on the website is going to go soon. Just waiting for the new logo back, so was holding off on colour choices etc till then.
    I look forward to seeing it. I loved the original concept, though I did agree with the others that the flare effect needed toning down a touch. Be sure to let us know when the end result goes live.
    Apparantly Facebook are changing the max width to 520 px in a few weeks, so it should fit better then.
    True... and very valid point. I was aware of the change, but hadn't realised just how significant a reduction it was until seeing your page (at 498px, you're close to the future max size).

It's been a while since I checked out the FB dev section for updates on it, but spotted a proposed date for the first time today...
    Application Tabs. Next week, we will give Page admins the ability to preview their custom tabs in the new 520 pixel width so they can modify their layouts as needed. All profile and Page tabs will be resized automatically beginning the week of August 23.

Reading http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250586 now and will certainly get on to that. Mobile numbers turn people off more than I realised! Thanks for pointing that out.
    I think it's all down to trust. If you see just a mobile, it's easy to imagine a cowboy who disappears in the night when you hit a problem. When a user sees a landline number (even one transferring to a mobile), it gives an added sense of security and hence trust. It's a subconscious thing, but one worth taking a little effort to accommodate.
    That is something I have never thought about. Will do some research and try implement something.
    I'd have a look at www.dataprotection.ie to start with (or specifically http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/PrivStatements/290.htm to understand the legal side of it). They give guides on 'what needs to be contained', but they're far from ideal to be honest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'd get rid of the 'Welcome to...' line. If you're only going to read a bit, then it would want to be a great 'bit', not a Welcome to generic line.
    Nice effort!

Ok after Paul's suggestion, I put all the reasons to click "Like" at the very top.

And after Dory's valid point, I am experimenting with a more "playful" kind of attitude to it with things like "Why should I click like?". May or may not work. Lemme know what you think.

Images and colour will be added soon, as it does look very bland.

• Advertisement

Whoa they just cut the max size! Its 520px and really really cramped now!! :eek:

My "Welcome" page looks cool in it, but was really liking the buzz of this thing called "Wall Paper". http://www.facebook.com/AMPSoundSystems?v=app_45439413586

Hope they fix that pretty soon, cos it was cool.

Just also thinking, that landing page may not need to much more colour! It kinda fits in well with that new layout.

Advertisement