Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employed parents

Options
  • 07-08-2010 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am applying for a grant for college soon and I'm totally confused as to where to begin. Filling in forms and all that isn't my strong point.

I have been told by a few people that because my parents are self employed I won't be able to recieve a grant, even though the money might not be there to support me in college.
    Is there a means test where they actually take everything into consideration or do they look at your house, how many cars you have etc..
    We own a restaraunt and I am wondering if after a quick glance over my application they will just say "sorry, but you seem well able to support your child through college, goodbye".

Any feedback would be appreciated and any tips on where to start would also be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Read through the grant form and application form about 4 or 5 times before you even attempt to fill it out and then draw up a checklist of everything that you need ie - birth certs; P60s etc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

if both parents are self employed do they use an accountant to keep the books, if they do its prob worth throwing the accountant a few quid to fill it out with financial details that cant be argued with .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

You can definitely get the maintenance grant if you're parents are self-employed. My Mum is and I get it.

Advertisement