Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cemetery Junction Soundtrack

Options
  • 07-08-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey y'all

Watched Cemetery Junction last night and looking for the soundtrack list. Anyone got a list or link?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭Basq

IMDb doesn't gave a soundtrack listing oddly enough.. best I can find is Ricky speaking about the soundtrack here, and a couple of the songs listed.
    Ricky Gervais discusses the Cemetery Junction soundtrack. The writer/director/producer/failed pop star explains the music choices for his most personal work yet.

"Cemetery Junction is probably the most personal of all my work so far. Sure, I worked in an office for 8 years as a middle manager, like that David Brent, then I worked my way up in TV like that Andy Millman, and like most comedians, my stand up is observational. But Cemetery Junction is not only based on my memories of my most formative years but it feeds on the most fundamental things in the making of a man: family, economics, the time and place you happened to be plonked in. Even though the movie is a fiction, the values, themes and characters are based on my memory of growing up in Reading in the early 70′s. The soundtrack had to reflect that. It’s purely coincidence that the songs in the film happen to be some of my favorites."

Five Variants of Dives and Lazerus by Ralph Vaughan Williams

My favorite piece of music in the world. So that’s how the film opens. Strings and harp over English countryside in summer. A perfect coupling. As this film is sort of my love letter to England I wanted to remind people that it is probably the most beautiful country in the world.

Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting by Elton John

I got permission from Elton John to use this track for the opening credit sequence two years before we started writing the film. I’d always wanted to use the song and it fits the mood and themes of the movie perfectly. Growing up seemed to revolve around saturday nights. You’d worked hard for someone else all week and now it was your time.

Amazona by Roxy Music

Stranded was the first album I actually went into town to buy with my own money. I felt like the coolest guy in the world. Amazona is the third track on the album and is used in the movie to enhance the swagger and camaraderie of the three lads.

All the Young Dudes by David Bowie

“Don’t wanna stay alive, when you’re 25″. Even though Cemetery Junction is set in a different time, I suppose we were trying to say that the attitude of youth never change. This song sort of became the anthem of the movie. It was written by David Bowie but of course made famous by Mott the Hoople. We used the Bowie version because his vocal gives the song more of an outsider feel.

Rain Song by Led Zeppelin

The most expensive thing in the whole movie and worth every penny. This sublime piece of rock n roll majesty soars through the story climax. We planned and cut the last few minutes of the film to the track before we’d even got permission from the band. I basically sent them a begging letter and they said yes. Phew! There was no plan B.

T Rex, Slade, Bruce Springsteen

There are loads of other great tracks in the movie from Slade, T Rex, The Osmonds, Elvis and Jim Reeves (my mum’s favourite – I knew all his songs off by heart when I was 10), and one very important song that doesn’t feature. Thunder Road by Bruce Sprinsteen was the inspiration behind the main theme of the movie – escape. When we started writing the script our aim was to bring to life one particular lyric- “It’s a town full of losers and we’re pulling out of here to win” I’d like to think we succeeded. You’ll be the judge of that.

Advertisement