Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp's Nest (was - help in identifying what this nest thing is from...?)

Options
  • 07-08-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

just popped out to the shed there bout ten min ago and looked up to find this thing stuck to the ceiling and have no idea what it is or belongs too as iv never seen anything like it before and afraid to remove it incase something come's out of it like a load a wasp's or something

cheers for the help

38998_118601151522670_100001183567361_103482_5825658_n.jpg

35975_118601144856004_100001183567361_103480_1313440_n.jpg

35975_118601141522671_100001183567361_103479_1950488_n.jpg

40385_118601124856006_100001183567361_103478_6886706_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

spider_pig wrote: »
    just popped out to the shed there bout ten min ago and looked up to find this thing stuck to the ceiling and have no idea what it is or belongs too as iv never seen anything like it before and afraid to remove it incase something come's out of it like a load a wasp's or something

cheers for the help

Loks like a wasp's nest, but hang in there, you will get better informed replies than my guess.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

it gives me the creeps what ever it is lol doesn't seem to be anything coming in or going out from it but i didn't stay long enough to find out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is a wasps nest. it looks smallish...tennis ball size? If so, then it may well be a dead nest. All the nests in my garden are much bigger than this.

I'd observe for a few minutes and see if there is activity. Wasps coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

yea its tennis ball size, never noticed anything at all unusual with wasp's or anything in the garden just the normal 1 or two buzzing about the place
    there seems to be noting inside it, coming or going would it be safe for it to be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

The two wasp nests I've ever seen were tennis ball size, yes. But they were much smoother, greyer and paper-thin than the one in the photos seems to be. They didn't have this interweaving pattern that yours seems to have. Then again, what else could it be ?

• Advertisement

There are a number of different species of social wasps. They all look like wasps but I assume different nests are the result of different species.

I had a nest like OP in a shed this year, but I've also got nests that are grey and smooth looking. One is football size.
    There probably isn't a reason to move it. It won't be taken over if it is abandoned.
    But to move a nest that size, find a jar that fits over nest and with nest trapped in jar slide some cardboard (cereal packet) along the top cutting the nest so it drops into jar.

Do this at night when wasps are at rest although if not occupied then timing isn't an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

If its not already abandoned I believe the norm is that they leave sometime between now- sept (those who know more correct me if I'm wrong) and they don't come back to nest in the same place next year so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

I had an amazingly active underground nest some years back that stayed very active until the winter really got going. Must have been late November or even December. This nest was near one of my house entrances and I never had a problem with them. This is my experience with underground nests and if it is species related then the wasps with underground nests seem to be a more placid/bee like than their relatives with overground nests. I had similar experience with another underground nest beside where cars parked and and didn't have issue with this one either despite the activity nearby.

Advertisement