Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Quattro LNB - possible?

Options
  • 07-08-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    as above is it possible to use a Quattro LNB & multiswitch setup with a Sky Dish.

I want to feed 2 FTA PVRs (4 feeds needed) and then also feed 2 more FTA boxes (2 feeds) so need min of 6 feeds with the possibility of adding more if/when needed (hoping to use a PC as a media server/pvr in the future so another 2 feeds would be required)

Most of what i'm planning above is for futureproofing (well somebit anyways).
    I already have a sky dish feeding a FTA box using a single LNB but obviously want more feeds and would prefer not to be limited by using the Quad.

I've been unable to find much info on using Quattro LNBs with Sky Dishes, most info points to using Quad/Octo LNBs. But i'd like to be able to use the Multiswitch setup feeding a combined SAT/DTT signal to each room in the house.

Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

You can purchase multiswitches that will function with both Quad and Quattro LNBFs.

Check out the Centauri website.
    http://www.emp-centauri.cz/products.php?page=products&id_kateg=5&id_pkateg=11&id=17

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Apogee wrote: »
    You can purchase multiswitches that will function with both Quad and Quattro LNBFs.

http://www.emp-centauri.cz/products.php?page=products&id_kateg=5&id_pkateg=11&id=17

Thanks for the suggestion - yeah i've read about these multiswitches that will accept Quad & Quattro LNBs (yes, i know that this should really be LNBFs but you get the idea).

Any ideas on if there is a Quattro LNB available for use with the Sky mini dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

cheaper to use a sky octo lnb which gives you the option of 8 feeds with out a multiswitch, more reliable than a multiswitch for a domestic situation. then if you want to combine sat and dtt use a combiner, but ideally use individual cables for both,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A multiswitch is perfectly reliable. Octo are not and you can't add a 9th feed.
    Apogee wrote: »

A standard Sky quad can work with 16 output multiswitch. Get one with at least 8 imputs (2nd satellite) so you have option to add Saorsat, if it works next year.
    (Non-Sky DVB-S2 HD box, which will work on Sky / Freesat free channels)

Apogee knows what he is talking about
    theShire wrote: »
    Most of what i'm planning above is for futureproofing (well somebit anyways).
    I already have a sky dish feeding a FTA box using a single LNB but obviously want more feeds and would prefer not to be limited by using the Quad.

Make sure any PC cards are DVB-S2. I have managed to add 2x DVB-S2, 2x DVB-S and one Analogue TV PCI card to a PC.

All newer (not just HD) Satellites/Transponders are quite likely to be DVB-S2

I have 17x 16 EMP-centauri multiswitch (4 satellites on two dishes) and the 1st position works with a Sky Quad. As long as the 1st set of four inputs is pointed at 28E Sky/Freesat, then all types of Sky set-boxes work. The Satellite switching works with all PC cards (if you use correct PC software) and all non-Sky satellite boxes with 4-way Diseqc switch feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

darth_maul wrote: »
    cheaper to use a sky octo lnb which gives you the option of 8 feeds with out a multiswitch, more reliable than a multiswitch for a domestic situation. then if you want to combine sat and dtt use a combiner, but ideally use individual cables for both,
    That's what I did. Purchased an octo LNB off Ebay for 17 euros, along with a few metres of cable and a few connectors (another tenner). I now have a Humax PVR, an Edision combi unit and my old Sky+ HD box. All working perfectly, with no need for a multiswitch. Two feeds per unit, therefore I still have two outlets left if I should need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

It depends on your setup really, one other thing to take into account is the cost of diplexers you'll save if your using a 5 input multiswitch (4 sat 1 terrestrial.) You might also save on an amp if it has active terrestrial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 firstaid2010

i am using a quattro lnb on a 90cm dish facing 28.2E astra that is direct to a 5 input (ie horizontal high / horizontal low / vertical high / vertical low + uhf input ) this is 8 output that runs to 3 x quadplex faceplates (as 2 feeds are need to a quadplex) and the final 2 feeds to 2 triplex plates.......All the outputs give sky channels to 5 different receivers....3 hd boxes and 2 standard def boxes........what i would like to know is how do i add another quattro lnb or maybe even 2 quattro lnb`s and feed all these signals to my original 8 output feeds ........whilst questioning the satelite equipment fitter at the rear of a dixons (ie currys / pc world ) store, he informed me that i need a combiner???????? this will let me combine the feeds from both satelites into the same input on my multiswitch.......erm £250 from retailer---£50 on ebay but i have yet to find this so called combiner of quattro feeds.......help is warmly welcome cheers:D:D:D:D:D:D

You should have bought a multiple satellite Multiswitch.

Replacing the Multiswitch with an 8+1 (2 satellites) or 16+1 (4 satellites).

I have a 4 satellite Multiswitch. 16 inputs for 4 x Quattro (1st can be a Quad) and terrestrial in. 16 outlets.

You can't combine satellite LNBs at input of existing Multiswitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 firstaid2010

yes i know this but the distributer didnt have any at the time of purchase:(:(:(:( so here i am trying new things i have c/s running over my private network and it works fine different box`s with different config`s been fun to play with ..............trying to stretch my grey matter ......how to connect 4 quattro lnb`s on one dish to 5 receivers would be good..:D:D:D

It's illegal in Ireland even to talk about c/s Discussion can get poster banned and thread locked. See link.

You need a bigger multiswitch 16 or 17 in and 8 or 16 out. About €220
    I use EMP Centauri. many other brands too

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    It's illegal in Ireland even to talk about c/s Discussion can get poster banned and thread locked. See link.

You need a bigger multiswitch 16 or 17 in and 8 or 16 out. About €220
    I use EMP Centauri. many other brands too

Where did you buy the EMP Centauri Multiswitch watty?

EMP Centauri :)

But loads of people sell them. And other equally good Multiswitches. See the Suppliers sticky

I was just wondering because I wanted to see how prices compare!

Advertisement