Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMart Phone or HTC

Options
  • 07-08-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all, updating my mobile and need some advice, suggestions. I think I have decided to go for something different than the Iphone.
    Looking at the HTC Desire but the Evolution Windows Mobile Smartphone has been suggested to me. It is supposed to be faster than the HTC.
    I use the phone for internet access, camera, but dont want to have to trawl through pages to get to write a text or make a call! It is supposed to be a phone! Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Would you consider the HD2 which is a windows mobile phone?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-hd2-647049/review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Noone is going for Windows phones at the moment with Windows Mobile 7 due this year.

Anyone you buy now may not be upgradeable.

HTC Desire is a good phone. Should not be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

HTC Desire is a good phone. Should not be disappointed.

He will be when he realises it will be late Sept by the time they come in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well the evolution hasn't started yet...for an average joe Windows Mobile on its own wouldn't be satisfactory...its old fonts and UI isnt what alot of ppl are looking for and HTC Sense is a must have for all the joes out there (it comes out of the box BTW ;)

but best thing about it is its big screen its easy browsing experience and easy to read...

currently android is ported and still in beta but its easily crash free right now and waiting to be dual booted :) so even if u don't like WinMo after a while you can always run Android On it...not a lot of phones out there can do that :) and its really not hard :) download files > extract into SD card > download an app to get rid of the need to press on 2 files to boot it and that's it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Like your sig ^^ :)

• Advertisement

yeah :) needs a windows insignia beside it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If I were you I'd either go for :

HTC Desire - Android 2.2 - very nice handset - hard to beat.
    Samsung Galaxy S - Android 2.1 - also a fantastic phone.
    iPhone 3GS - still a beast of a phone and cheaper than 4.
    iPhone 4 - it's an amazing phone, despite the anti-Apple bias you can sometimes get, it does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it very well.

Windows mobile's not really lighting the world on fire.

I'd definitely stick to either iPhone or Android if I were you.

The only huge downside to Android is that you *still* can't buy apps via the Google Android Market in Ireland. Only the free apps were available last time I checked.
    That being said, the Android Market's not the only place you can buy apps and you can often upgrade free apps by going to the developer's website and paying via paypal. It's still no where near as user-friendly as the iPhone / iTunes experience and I do not understand why Google's taking so long to implement the app store in Ireland as it's rolled out in the UK and elsewhere.

Solair wrote: »
    Windows mobile's not really lighting the world on fire.

The only huge downside to Android is that you *still* can't buy apps via the Google Android Market in Ireland. Only the free apps were available last time I checked.

ooh see that depends on the user :)

i can buy paid apps on my android market and i can run android of my windows mobile :) i can run Ubuntu and Windows PC operating systems on my phone as well as having the whole of XDA to back me up on any of my Windows Mobile or Android Needs...

so it all depends on the user...and his motivation of what he wants from his phone

personally i would never get the iPhone...what can it do that other smarthphones (usually atleast 200 quid cheaper) cant? u got ur few slide screens with your shortcuts. internet browser and 200k apps which you will never use...and thats summarises the iPhone...FaceTime? pff that has been around for years and can be done i think on nearly all android phones with front facing camera (theres an app for that - and it can be done over 3G or Wifi - not wifi only like on iPhone)

Advertisement