Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else keep losing?

Options
  • 07-08-2010 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I'm playing as terrean and building loads on SCVs, working on the macro etc. I take out my opponents base but they always seem to have another, and another, then they bring the pain (ie the airstrikes). Tips, suggestions, ggs!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah im with ya, ive tried every tactic,strategy,build order out there.
    Watched countless videos from the usual sources.
    Im still slow with keybinds so much so im leaning towards not using them at all and also terribly slow in reacting in the correct manner to other players actions.
    Im still unsure about what counters what etc.
    Pretty much every game ive played lasted no more than 30 mins and boiled down to the other guy having better units than i had.

All i can do is hope it all comes together over time :)
    Meanwhile i suck as bad as every other rts ive ever played lol but this is the longest ive persevered with an rts as its still fun.
    Of all the gaming genres rts has always been my weakest so its no surprise that i struggle but hey its all in good fun.
    Ive yet to get any negative comments from anyone who owned me in game, the community seems to be pretty mature and friendly so far.
    Lastnight i quit the practice league and got my ranking, played my 5 placement games,i then went on to lose 6 and win 1 :( busy night but despite the game being fun it is frustrating to lose so much.

Ive been playing terran mostly i wonder should i change faction for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Hey guys, I'd just say stick at it

FPS games are my cup of tea, I reallyjust blow at anything RTS, always have, but I persevere .. and it does pay off..

A little advice for sc2 would be to try other races, for instance, Protoss are very nice for a new player to try, I feel they don't require as much fidgeting and clicking as the other races at a lower level.. just mass up a nice number of units and go for it.

Terran are a little more micro intensive, but have that beautiful ability to wall off. Its a bit hard to get a good mobile army going with them, but they make up for it in sneakiness.. a very good example is drops.. they are fantastic. In fact the guy I play 2v2's with goes for a super early drop which really wrecks their economy, but he is very well protected at the time.

Zerg are probably the hardest, but once you learn how to get them to the mid-stage of the game then they are lethal.. you can literally build 20 units in one giant wave off all the larvae. You can completely and utterly change your entire army composition in just the time it takes to build a new structure..

Lastly, when you tinker/play with all 3 races.. you suddenly aren't so scared of them any more.. you learn their weaknesses.. what they can do.. you know how long it will take for a reaper to come out.. and you get a feel for when protoss can get a Dark templar to your base, and how much they have to invest in that one strategy..

So give it a shot, try the races, you might find the perfect one for you and if not it'll still make you a better player

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Ok in order to improve at starcraft you have to first understand what makes a good player. Some really basic things are:

Good macro management. The player is constantly producing probes/expanding when neccesary. They also make sure that there mineral count is never too high. Your should be aiming to not have over 400 minerals at a time unless you want to expand. If you constantly produce units your army will be big enough to counter the enemy etc... If you find your mineral count is high and you can't produce enough units to bring it down, build more barracks/gateway etc... so more units can be produced. Also make sure that your supply count is never blocked which is a really important factor in your economy.

Good micro management. I just lost a game where I had all the advantages because my micro was awful. I had more units and an economy lead but walked straight up his ramp where he had all the advantages and he tore me apart with a counter attack after he pretty much wiped out my army at his ramp. Micro is something that just comes with time as your mechanics get better but you should always be wary of your units location/situation and how a spell or placement could give them an advantage.

Watch your replays: honestly, after everygame you lose, watch the replay. Look at your nexus or command center and make sure scv's are being produced, notice if you got supply capped at all, look at yoru production and make sure your buildings are always making units, look at the situations you were in and how you could have improved on them. THis is the most important part of learning an RTS game. There is no point in just keep playing because you can't improve if you don't know what your supposed to be improving.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

people are screaming for a neff for terran atm (including me) :pac: i am kinda stucked in silver league 1v1 (zerg player) one of the reason is caused' i rarely win any good terran player. if we are in 2v2 or 3v3 game we wanna kill off the terran player asap. this pack is all about terran, not that i said so, have a read here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=141086 basically is easy to use terran get into high level league.

i can type up a super long post of ranting how imba terran right now but i think thats for another thread:pac:

all terran player needs to do is turtle in,scan your base see what you are up to, and mass units asap and gg. obviously you need to do that quick. bear in mind scanner costed 150mineral and use by 50energy you can constantly scan my base, WTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Terran seem slightly stronger than Zerg or toss to me but I play 3v3s and don't find much trouble, only gold league atm though. Crushed 3 terran with a 3 toss team earlier. Psi Storm, giggity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

all i can say is there is no excuse to play bad as terran.

Like i said i suck, thats my excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

For me when I first started playing, scouting was what helped me improve alot. Always scout early game. If you understand the other races, it aslo helps as you can predict what they are going to do and then counter it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

seraphimvc wrote: »
    all i can say is there is no excuse to play bad as terran.

Lets not turn here into the official wow forums.

New Rogue: I'm having trouble in PVP
    Mage: OMG!! You must really suck as rogues just faceroll to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

If you keep on playing, the server will get an idea of how good you are, and pit you against players of equal skill.

If you keep on losing games you think you should have, it's generally either down to:
    Floating
    Floating is where you have spare resources (1k is too much)
    Best way to fix this, I found, is to set barracks etc. to hotkeys like 8,9,0.
    Keep an eye on your resources, and if you have spare resources, but you're in the middle of a fight, just 0mmmmm (5 marines pliz) and you're in a better position!

Not having a clue what to do
    If you don't know what to do, watch replays of players at least1 ladder higher than you. If you're in bronze, you may find you learn more from replays in silver/gold than diamond. This is because the gold players don't have ridiculous micro to pull off complex strats (generally)

Costly micro mistakes
    These just take practice, if you can spot a specific mistake where you lost your entire army because your mind was elsewhere, well, that's not a bad place to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Dcully wrote: »
    Like i said i suck, thats my excuse

ah sorry man i didnt mean to sound offensive/upset peole :( i edited that out.

what i mean is,if ya are really wanna improve yourself,you gotta be determined to learn to solve the challenges ,right? applies in anything in our life too :P

a protos friend is considering to switch to terran while me on the other hand insist to play zerg - i havent played 1v1 for a few days now my 1v1 bonus pool has about 200 points now :pac: i still suck in macro so i am kinda training with AI now in 1v1 and once i think i am ready i will go 1v1 fiercely!

good terran players can easily own my ass is a fact due to some balance issues but i know if i am good enough in zerg i can at least make it into diamond! thats my self-motivation :pac:

and i am gonna be helpful this time!
    all terran strategies are so 'cheap' but they work fcking well, i have seen countless times of these:
    1.very early wall up,turtle in, scan ur base to see what are you gonna do.BAM. i build roaches you go air.i go air you mass marines.
    2.MMM(marines,maruder,medivac), works FCKING well everytime. teir 1 marine anti-air ability is SICK. mareuder's slow shot is IMBA. if i manage to make banelling very early try to counter, 1 fcking SIEGE tank = gg for all my banelling. you know you can get siege how early as terran.
    3.mass marines +banshee. SICK. banshee early worker harass is so cheesey.
    4.early reaper harass, i guess this will easily gg many players in Bronze league.
    5.end game thor+BC army = instant gg to protoss/zerg.
    6.you see another terran/protoss player turtle? tonnes of army at the choke point?? scan and 'nuclear launch detected'. bring army in, GG.
    heck,even terran expansion is safer/easier than protoss/zerg, build CC in base,lift off,and fly away.bam.instant expansion base.

and i think i ban lost temple map in my 1v1 map preference, it is a strange map that i lost 100% to terran lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I cant beat the A.I in a skirmish :o nevermind beat someone in multiplayer :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

out of 12 games i lost 10 times and 1 quit at the start :(
    i will stick with it it though i am improving and my APM is going up too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Have you got gold in the challanges missions? At least get gold in the units one (the first 3 challanges) to understand

a the counter system

b basic micro

and then work on up for other areas of multiplayer

but with unit understanding and basic micro you should be able to push from bronze to silver (I did with zerg)

Macro I find comes somewhat naturally after this cause you'll start to focus on getting out the units you want quicker and macro develops from this.

but if you need a hand with macro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

that video aint showing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I should really log out, thanks Jazzy..

Advertisement