Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused by degrees

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Dear folks

I am wondering if anyone can clear up some confusion for me regarding how I should consider directional degrees...

Lets say 19 degrees East, what does that mean?
    In my mind I picture a circle, top (12oc) = north, bottom (6oc) = south, left (9oc) =west, right (3oc)=east. I start from top and work my way around clockwise counting 360 degrees.

So what does 19 degrees east mean? is it 19 degrees south of 3 o clock? or is it 19 degrees north of 3 o clock? or is it something else?

Forgive the stupidity?

Is there any good guide that I could look up for this kind of question? Is there any good guide to installing a motorised setup that I could follow preferably with videos Ihave searched utube but its all american and confusing)

With a motorised setup, does the motor rotate the dish on both axis or is it just (left right) or (up down) only?

Many thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Compass bearings in degrees are the same as the circle in geometry. Due North is 0 degrees, North-East 45 degrees, East 90 and so on.

Once you complete the 360 degrees of the circle you're back at due north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

It's 19 deg east of the Greenwich Meridian i.e. zero longitude.

So if you're living in Dublin, at 5 deg west long., then the satellite at 19E is 24 deg east (19+5) of True South at your location.

http://sites.google.com/site/freetoairinfo/home/how-to-install-and-align-a-diseqc-motor

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Most of our TV reception satellites are due south, since we are North of the equator.
    So we look south with our compass 180 degress.
    19 degress is 19 east degress east of south 161 approx degress, we can go into magantic issues, but we won't.

regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Gerry

Many thanks, only for your explanation, I would now be even more confused.
    Apogee, that link you posted is fantastic, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

i think im correct in saying that 19.2e is situated on the equator @19.2e longitude....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

dnme wrote: »
    Dear folks

I am wondering if anyone can clear up some confusion for me regarding how I should consider directional degrees...

Lets say 19 degrees East, what does that mean?
    In my mind I picture a circle, top (12oc) = north, bottom (6oc) = south, left (9oc) =west, right (3oc)=east. I start from top and work my way around clockwise counting 360 degrees.

So what does 19 degrees east mean? is it 19 degrees south of 3 o clock? or is it 19 degrees north of 3 o clock? or is it something else?

Forgive the stupidity?

Is there any good guide that I could look up for this kind of question? Is there any good guide to installing a motorised setup that I could follow preferably with videos Ihave searched utube but its all american and confusing)

With a motorised setup, does the motor rotate the dish on both axis or is it just (left right) or (up down) only?

Many thanks for any info
    It,s all upside down remember you will be looking South.

Advertisement