Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out as a wood flooring fitter

Options
  • 06-08-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,
    I’m considering going into business as a wood floor fitter and wondered if anyone knows whether many/ any people buy flooring and then try and find a fitter or are all fitters contracted through flooring retailers?
    The idea was to develop a website and try and drum up business that way, but if everyone who buys flooring gets their fitter through the flooring retailer is there any point?
    How open are flooring retailers to taking on new fitters?
    Any info/advice appreciated , Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

most people get work like this through word of mouth or from seeimg work people have done for neighbours or friends,its unlikely people will spend 6-700 euro on floors and then get a total stranger to fit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would think you would be on an uphill battle.

there are so many skilled carpenters on the dole line asking the suppliers for the same work.

Who would you choose? Some one with little or no experience or a time served trades man..

no brainer.

I wish you all the luck in the world man. But this is what you will be up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Swift66 wrote: »
    tbh, if you are serious about this, then you should be pounding the streets speaking to the retailers to find out what their take is on it.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I would think you would be on an uphill battle.

there are so many skilled carpenters on the dole line asking the suppliers for the same work.

Who would you choose? Some one with little or no experience or a time served trades man..

no brainer.

I wish you all the luck in the world man. But this is what you will be up against.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Swift66 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I’m considering going into business as a wood floor fitter and wondered if anyone knows whether many/ any people buy flooring and then try and find a fitter or are all fitters contracted through flooring retailers?
    The idea was to develop a website and try and drum up business that way, but if everyone who buys flooring gets their fitter through the flooring retailer is there any point?
    Any info/advice appreciated , Cheers

OP out of interest how much do you charge for fitting a solid wood floor that requires no leveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

OP, head to your local tubs and tiles and have a chat with the wood manager in there. they usually have a list of fitters they give out to customers buying flooring, and the guy will be able to tell you what business is like at the moment and how much people are charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, it reads as though you have not done any floor fitting, except maybe for yourself? I think you would be at a disadvantage trying to get started at the moment. But the best way to find out would be to take some good photographs of floors you have fitted and go and talk to some of the floor suppliers.

Advertisement