Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any aternative options to the Maintenance Grant?

Options
  • 06-08-2010 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi guys.

I'm a 20 year old student who just got accepted to Arts in NUIM. I did not achieve the results I required in the Leaving Certificate so I applied and paid for my FETAC course with money from a FAS course and employment. Now I am unemployed and cannot find work.

I'm currently not eligible for the Maintenance Grant because my parents refuse to sign the Grant form with any of their details.

I'm just wondering what my options are in this case, because they also do not have the means to financially back me.

I cannot afford tuition fees and I live far away from the college so I also need to organise accommodation.

is anything at all that I can do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

There isn't much you can do as regards to getting money for education elsewhere than the VEC/ County Council grants.

The only possibility is if you can drum up enough cash to go to a solicitor and have yourself legally emancipated from your parents. Then you can be considered for a grant as an independent mature candidate with the necessary documentation. I've heard of this working before and it's the only thing I know of that has worked for someone in a similar situation to yours.

You should look into the Student Assistance Fund in your college as well. If you get to them early in the year you might be able to get money for rent and some supplies.

Have a good look at studentfinance.ie and see if there's anything there that applicable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi guys.

I'm a 20 year old student who just got accepted to Arts in NUIM. I did not achieve the results I required in the Leaving Certificate so I applied and paid for my FETAC course with money from a FAS course and employment. Now I am unemployed and cannot find work.

I'm currently not eligible for the Maintenance Grant because my parents refuse to sign the Grant form with any of their details.

I'm just wondering what my options are in this case, because they also do not have the means to financially back me.

I cannot afford tuition fees and I live far away from the college so I also need to organise accommodation.

is anything at all that I can do?

Thanks

Tuition fees are free. Do you mean you can't afford registration fees?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 flightlessbird

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Tuition fees are free. Do you mean you can't afford registration fees?

Yeah, sorry, registration fees is what I meant. (And rent. And everything else really. I'm flat broke. So are my parents.)

Thanks for that JenniFurr. Very helpful advice. I've emailed NUIM and hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow about the Assistance Fund.

I might look into the emancipation idea for the following years though, might pay off in the long run. I probably wouldn't have the time or money to do that in time for August 31st.

Yeah, sorry, registration fees is what I meant. (And rent. And everything else really. I'm flat broke. So are my parents.)

Thanks for that JenniFurr. Very helpful advice. I've emailed NUIM and hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow about the Assistance Fund.

I might look into the emancipation idea for the following years though, might pay off in the long run. I probably wouldn't have the time or money to do that in time for August 31st.
    - The grant authority might accept a late application

Also I'd suggest contacting the welfare office in NUI Maynooth SU
    http://www.nuimsu.com/?page_id=158

-I know in some colleges the student assistance funds are administered by the SU

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Are you in receipt of a social welfare payment?

• Advertisement

At Johnnymcg, I contacted the SU, and they told me that when I start up I should look into the Student's Assistant Fund. Cheers for the link.

And yeah, I'm not sure how long the emancipation process would take, and how it works really, but I'm going to look into it and maybe try put it through late.
    Are you in receipt of a social welfare payment?

I was paid the equivilent of dole during my FAS course for several months in 2009. I have a receipt of payment as well. Does that count as a social welfare payment?

At Johnnymcg, I contacted the SU, and they told me that when I start up I should look into the Student's Assistant Fund. Cheers for the link.

And yeah, I'm not sure how long the emancipation process would take, and how it works really, but I'm going to look into it and maybe try put it through late.

I was paid the equivilent of dole during my FAS course for several months in 2009. I have a receipt of payment as well. Does that count as a social welfare payment?

I dont think so, what payment are you currently in receipt of?

None. I'm working in Aviva Stadium once every.. about two weeks.. and I'm out of a PLC since May.

None. I'm working in Aviva Stadium once every.. about two weeks.. and I'm out of a PLC since May.

The reason I am asking is, if you were in receipt of a social welfare payment you would probably be entitled to BTEA, otherwise your only option is to look for a Grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

To get the BTEA I'm pretty sure you have to be getting some sort of social welfare payments for at least a year (or that's what it used to be) before you go back to college.

Most VECs and County councils do allow for late applications. Most are pretty generous in giving time to allow you to hand it in. In 2006/07 I handed one in to my VEC at Christmas and they still were nice enough to process it. Although they are a little crankier these days with the increase in people applying...

I've wanted to do the emancipation thing myself because I've had a similar issue to you in regards to my parents not wanting to sign off on the forms. I'd advise that if it doesn't work out for you this year you should ask someone you know to let you send some post to their house like a friend or other relative (as sort of proof you're living away from home) so next year you can apply as an emancipated, independent mature candidate and have proof of it as well just in case.

It's not exactly truthful but I know a lot of people who do things like this to get grants because their parents don't help them out for whatever reason. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to go to college.

• Advertisement

One thing to consider, you must be over 23 to be considered a mature student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mimirose

I was speaking in there today with my city council "advisor" and she said that if you can prove you are estranged that you would need a letter from a social worker or local health board so I dont know would you need to go down such a legal path.

Also you if your family situation is not great financially you are prob entitled to the grant maybe get the forms and explain the situation to your parents.

Other wise I would try every other person you can think of contact the college ask them are there any scholarships? also your local priest or whatever they may be able to provide some assistance?!

Yeah I'm definitely considering the emancipation idea myself too, Jennifurr. Have you any idea how much that would cost and what exactly it entails? I'm not exactly sure where to find information on this particular process in Ireland.

Also does anybody know whether FAS training in 2009 for 3 months counts as social welfare payments? I was paid the same amount as Dole for the period I was being trained.

I've tried that mimirose, I figure there's a reason why they are not budging, but I'm continuing to try nonetheless.

Argh, such a frustrating time. In a way I'm glad that I'm not alone in this, but that also kind of makes it even more frustrating.

Yeah I'm definitely considering the emancipation idea myself too, Jennifurr. Have you any idea how much that would cost and what exactly it entails? I'm not exactly sure where to find information on this particular process in Ireland.
    ring the education officer in NUIMSU and ask them, then maybe try the education officer in USI

Terry Pratchet

Cheers Johnny. I've emailed both, and several other places for answers on several queries. Have you any idea whether Credit Unions will give a student loan to someone who's never saved with them before? I'm going down tomorrow, but I'd like to know whether I'm just wasting my time at this stage.

Cheers Johnny. I've emailed both, and several other places for answers on several queries. Have you any idea whether Credit Unions will give a student loan to someone who's never saved with them before? I'm going down tomorrow, but I'd like to know whether I'm just wasting my time at this stage.
    They might not!

Terry Pratchet

Yeah, I doubt they will straight off, I'll figure something out hopefully, thanks again.

And one last question for whoever has experience with Students Assistance Funds in the past, I was told to wait nearer to registration for info on it by the students union and admission at NUI, but can anyone who has gotten it in the past give me an idea of how much they tend to give? any past experiences at all would be appreciated.

Advertisement