Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

black PVC windows and external finish

Options
  • 06-08-2010 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,
    This is my first time posting on boards.ie!!!
    I am just in the early stages of building my own house and it has come to that time where I have to make a decision on windows. I know there are so many different opinions on this so I have chosen to go with black PVC and I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

1. Does anyone have black PVC windows on the inside of their house and if so does it look nice or would you recommend the white on the inside.

2. What colour window board do you put with the black? (prob a stupid question but I've never built a house before!

3. I am looking to put a k render finish on the outside of the house. Can anyone recommend a good colour to go with black windows. I also will be getting granite cills and a granite surround on the windows.

Looking forward to getting replies
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

Hi there,

The choice for your window colour both externally and internally is best made in conjunction with your other surface finishes.

Outside: Yours Wall Finishes (Render colour, Stone Colour, Cladding Colour), Cill Colour, your roof slate colour and downpipes etc.

it is best to decide what element(s) you want to make a feature of on the exterior of the building. Black windows with an off white render will emphasis the outline of the window shape on the building, like the eyes of your home.

It is important to remember when picking the colour of you windows that they are often in the shade because of the reveals on the building.

Internally: Your Floors, wall finishes, windows, kitchen and your furniture will all fight for your eyes attention. My personal preference is to let your furniture and/or floors win this battle and let the walls and windows become part of the background palate.

Even more than outside it is critical to note that the interior of your windows are always in shadow from the brighter exterior and even a plain white window will appear grey in daylight hours.

if you gather togther the different finishes and colours it is much easier to see what works ... and possibly more importantly what combinations do not work.

my preference is would be for a light or white internal finish on your windows .. you wont be wrong and leaves you less restricted with other finishes that you might not decide on until later in the build.

... but personal choice is just that .... personal !

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think I can help. This is what you're looking for.

Our windows are alu-timber composite. Black exterior and an ivory cream interior. We have think granite cills but just put rendered bands around the windows. We went with Off White from one of the most prominent manufacturers. We rang their offices and the get their rep to contact us. He dropped out three samples which the builder threw up on the garage. We're delighted with the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Have black triple glaze windows fitted through out my house with black on the inside. They look fantastic inside and out. Its complete with black guttering etc to complete the look. Anyone who sees my house comments on them and also the internal black PVC. Any questions just ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Shorty69664

FWIW
    We went with black PVC windows with black on both sides and we are not sorry. Really like the black colour on the inside.
    My friends have windows/doors with black on the outside & a light oak finish on the inside. When they have the French doors open in the summer it just looks so wrong not to have them the same colour. But that's just my personal view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimebuild

Thank you all so much for your replies, they have been very helpful indeed and thank you Mr.Edge to You for the fabulous photos. Amazing house and it's great to see a finished product because at the moment I'm finding itt very hard to visualise. That has helped a lot so thanks again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

hi
    we decided to go for the dual colour pvc. they are dark grey on the outside and cream on the inside. My personal taste was to have the inside very light to blend with oak doors and a pale paint palette

......... its all in my mind as windows only ordered this week but hope we will be happy with the finish. oh and sand and cement plaster finish with grey fascia and soffett.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm planning to go with black woodgrain PVC on both the inside and outside. We have a hallmark stone finish to the front (grey coloured) and plan for white dashing to the side and back. We have granite quoins on the front of the house and granite sills all over.

My one worry is that we want to go with oak doors, archetraves and skirting inside and possible walnut flooring downstairs and oak flooring upstairs. Would the black windows go with these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 firsttimebuild

Yes definitely. I was down with a friend of mine yesterday and she has black PVC windows inside and out (which I failed to notice before!) and she has oak window boards, doors and architraves. I can't remember the colour of her flooring but it all blended in very well with brightly coloured walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm planning to go with black woodgrain PVC on both the inside and outside. We have a hallmark stone finish to the front (grey coloured) and plan for white dashing to the side and back. We have granite quoins on the front of the house and granite sills all over.

My one worry is that we want to go with oak doors, archetraves and skirting inside and possible walnut flooring downstairs and oak flooring upstairs. Would the black windows go with these?

I have used black external and white internal which works quite well. Have never seen black internal. White is quite neutral when used with hardwood internal finishes. Maybe the window company can supply a sample before deciding.

Advertisement