Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monty Roberts' Demonstration at RDS

Options
  • 06-08-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Monty is doing demonstrations at the Dublin Horse Show at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Instead of resurrecting an old thread, I thought it may be nicer to have a new thread specific to the RDS to facilitate discussion.

I was at the Horse Show yesterday and watched his demonstration with a 'spooky' mare who had "issues" with plastic bags, tarpolians and water trays.

Unfortunately he was under quite a bit of time pressure as the previous event had run on quite a bit (due to one rider who was jumping in the main arena who also had 2 horses in the 5 y.o. competition in Simmonscourt), so the demo. was somewhat rushed, I felt, as he didn't get to really address her "issues" with the plastic bags - he only got to show how he'd go about addressing it.

He spent more time with the tarpolian and she took to it quite well. However, I did feel he was quite harsh with the mare in the initial stages before he employed the 'join up' technique.

I remember seeing him at Kill when he was over in Ireland about 20 years ago and his demonstration focused on breaking techniques.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not a fan at all. For that demo in Kill, he wanted very well handled horses that had already well began the breaking process, ie further along that was perhaps made obvious to the public before he began his stint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

My wife is heading to the RDS tomorrow (Sunday). Does anyone know what time Monty Roberts is doing his demonstration(s) at, and if special tickets are required to view this? If they are required, can they be purchased in advance, and from where?

shamwari wrote: »
    My wife is heading to the RDS tomorrow (Sunday). Does anyone know what time Monty Roberts is doing his demonstration(s) at, and if special tickets are required to view this? If they are required, can they be purchased in advance, and from where?

It's at 12.55 in Simmonscourt.

There are no extra tickets required for the demo, but she'd be advised to get there at least an hour beforehand in order to get a spot around the rail. If she wants a seat, she'd need to be there at least 90 minutes beforehand in order to have a chance of getting a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

convert wrote: »
    There are no extra tickets required for the demo, but she'd be advised to get there at least an hour beforehand in order to get a spot around the rail.

Dont stand at the rail expecting to see the demo in the jumping ring - they open up a gate near the bar and let people into the arena where an area is cordoned off in front of the tiered seating for the demo.

There was a crowd 7 deep standing on Sat.

Dont stand at the rail expecting to see the demo in the jumping ring - they open up a gate near the bar and let people into the arena where an area is cordoned off in front of the tiered seating for the demo.

There was a crowd 7 deep standing on Sat.

Ouch... :eek: There weren't that many there on Thursday, and the announcer said it was the largest crowd they'd ever had watching an event in Simmonscourt!

The organisers let some people into the area near the bar area (in the left hand corner if you're sitting on the tiered seating) like you descrived, but there weren't that many let in and they all had chairs so that those behind were able to see without any problems.

The people in front of the tiered seating all had to sit down so that those sitting could see, and they were maybe four deep there. I'm not sure what it was like on the other two sides of the arena as I couldn't see that far very clearly.

Sounds like the best thing to do then would be to turn up really early and get a seat on the tiered seating! And bring a lunch with you so that you don't have to give up your seat if you get peckish! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Another option is to read his book. I watched a bit of him on Thursday, it was ok but it was very crowded all around the ring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very crowded on Saturday when I went down (Even with a press pass) got a few nice pictures of him after at the book signing. Very hard to see if you were in the crowd especially with two fences.

I like his method as opposed to Parelli, his seems to be something you can integrate to your own riding whereas Parelli seems to be a way of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 omcc91

I got a decent spot on Friday and Saturday, expected him to just plug his Dually halter and his website for the whole thing but have to admit I was pretty impressed...

He's definitely a showman who knows how to handle a crowd but what he does makes sense...I agree with Borderfox, I'd take (most of) his methods over Parelli anyday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Honestly I think he's full of poo, I seen him Friday and thought ah yea maybe there is some sense in his methods but seen him saturday and sunday and changed my mind. He tells some lies, a horse he claimed had never had a saddle on their back was tacked up the night before one demonstration!
    Sure owners will say anything just to have their horse handled by Monty!

Just my 2c!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I hear what your saying Jemmy, but the thing I like about his methods are the consistency between Monty and all the other practicioners. For me and my Horse and other people I have showed how to do it, it just works and the results are so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Borderfox wrote: »
    I hear what your saying Jemmy, but the thing I like about his methods are the consistency between Monty and all the other practicioners. For me and my Horse and other people I have showed how to do it, it just works and the results are so good.

Oh I'm sure some of his methods work, but overall I wouldn't be a fan. Tbh once you have patience with a horse and take the time to work with them anything can work though imo! I saw him one of the days working with a horse that kept backing up and he just kept chucking on the lead rope that annoyed me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭OldRio

We went to see him on the Saturday. It was packed, luckily we had a great view. Thoroughly enjoyed the demonstration. We have used his methods for a few years now.
    As for Parelli, if I want to watch animals do tricks I'll go to the circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Jemmy wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure some of his methods work, but overall I wouldn't be a fan. Tbh once you have patience with a horse and take the time to work with them anything can work though imo! I saw him one of the days working with a horse that kept backing up and he just kept chucking on the lead rope that annoyed me too.

Jemmy i think you were the beacon of comon sense in this thread.
    I think Monty saw a break in the market for horsemanship and took it. I'm not a fan of his and even purchased one of his books to see what he was on about.
    My conclusion, as Mr T. would say - Quit your jibber jabber fool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

smartaform wrote: »
    Jemmy i think you were the beacon of comon sense in this thread.
    I think Monty saw a break in the market for horsemanship and took it. I'm not a fan of his and even purchased one of his books to see what he was on about.
    My conclusion, as Mr T. would say - Quit your jibber jabber fool :D

Have to completely disagree with you here. I think he is great, he has worked successfully with some very damaged horses and managed to get great results. That to me is the measure of success - somebody who succeeds! Fair play to him for taking his passion and making a successful living out of it, wish I could do the same and I'm sure so do a very many other people. I think he has done a great service to horses and I love his non violent approach which from the era and location he grew up in took a lot of courage and vision to go against established and entrenched opinions on the treatment/training of horses. That in itself shows his vision and strength of character. I am an unabashed Monty fan :)

Advertisement