Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming in Ireland

Options
  • 06-08-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is it alive?:D

Hi,

i live in Ireland since a few years now, and i've noticed less and less pc games in shops like game/gamestop. It's a pain in the ass to look for decent games, since all they have is a few new releases, and some casual crap, like "I love horses":mad:

Isn't anyone playing on the good old pc anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Tons of people are playing, the situation you see in Gamestop is the same you'll find in practically all Western game stores, not just Ireland. Sales in retail dried up, especially as there's room for trade ins.

Alot has moved online to platforms like Steam, D2D etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I hate these threads regarding PC Gaming,

Starcraft 2 just came out last week, the biggest selling PC game of 2010 and fastest selling Strategy game of all time, and a tournament was organised for it the other night on here.

As ZeOuterLimits mentions, the reason you don't see them in stores as much is due to digital downloads via mediums such as Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't think it's as big a market as shops would like, so they just sell what they know there's a demand for, which are children's games, major new releases and casual games. I'd say most people get their games online from Steam or Direct2Drive and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah these days i buy off Steam or a boxed version from one of the major sellers like Play or Sendit

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kali005

Yeah, i know, i use them myself, but i miss a proper decently stocked (and priced :D) pc games shop. Where i come from, local/national distributors release even older pc games in "classic collections" and you get them for next to nothing. Here, i've seen only Fallout 1&2 ;/

Anyway, nice to know there are people still playing on the best platfrom ever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

More profit to be made off second hand games and accessories. Xtravision used to have pc games in stock but they've dropped them completely. Download services and cheaper online sites haven't done them any favours. O would have gotten sc2 off blizzard if it wasn't 15 euro more, it was cheaper in gamestop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah I kind of miss the ability to walk into a shop and browse a good selection of PC games. Sometimes you just want the game NOW, like if a game comes onto the radar on a Friday evening, and you'd like to play it that weekend. Its a pain always ordering from online retailers in the UK and waiting the invariable week for the post.

Still though the ability to buy a game for sometimes 20 quid cheaper than it releases for on consoles, makes up for any bad taste in the mouth. Its an amazing thing to play games on gamings most powerful platform and they are almost always the cheapest games of any platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Bugs the crap outta me when I go into a games shop and at the very best they have a tiny couple of shelves buried down the back for PC games. My local Game is pretty good but I've been to stores where they had no PC games whatsoever. Then I walk in to PC world where they have a copy of DCS: Black Shark (a niche game if there ever was one) for 15euro whereas I spend 40 odd getting it from amazon after searching all the major game shops to no avail.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Heckler wrote: »
    Then I walk in to PC world where they have a copy of DCS: Black Shark (a niche game if there ever was one) for 15euro whereas I spend 40 odd getting it from amazon after searching all the major game shops to no avail.....

wtf which branch of pc world? I've been trawling the game shops for a copy of black shark for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I've been hoping on getting a good PC in the future, but I'm being held back with the lack of games at retail stores and that I'm not too fond of downloading (plus no credit card). So yeah, its sad seeing less and less of them around, but hey, I know where to find UT3 on the cheap in XtraVision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

PC gaming is alive and well and always will be.
    Checkout this link
    http://www.game-newswire.com/index.php/the-news/232.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bambi wrote: »
    wtf which branch of pc world? I've been trawling the game shops for a copy of black shark for ages.

I got it months ago on direct2drive.com for a tenner

Advertisement