Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student needing financial aid but don't know where to turn

Options
  • 06-08-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I don't qualify for the grant, am going into 4th year education and my parents cannot afford to fund me in college. On top of that I can't find a job. I'd really rather not have to take a second year out. Even if I got a part time job, I'm not certain I could earn enough to cover living. Desperate at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 45772

i feel ur pain...fellow distressed student here also..when u say 4th year education do u mean final year of a degree or postgraduate studies u wish to pursue..im the latter...have been offered a place but havent my grant approved yet..if its a no like in your case that rules me out aswell..step aside and let someone in a better financial setting to take my place:( Taking a second year out is tough...have been down that road aswell...felt like being stuck on the inside lane of a motorway while others zoom on by...on the other side of the picture both lanes still get u to ur intended destination i guess just at different speeds...still frustating tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 flightlessbird

I'm in the very similar situation.

I'm searching everywhere for a solution.

Would you consider a loan, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well I already owe my parents 4grand at this stage, I'm not sure they'd go guarantor again.

Also, the 4th year represents an honours degree as I earned my ordinary last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Thats tough man, I'm not much better off than your situation, and I've a feeling many others arent either. Only thing I can think of is get a loan, as has been suggested already. Maybe talk to your local credit union?

..Sorry I can't be of any more help!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

As you are a student there isn't really much assistance from Social Welfare side of things. I will move this thread to Student Finances as you may get more answers there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Wow, there seems to be more than a few in the same situation as me here. I don't have a job. I'm too young to qualify as an independent mature candidate on my grant forms despite no financial support from my family. I barely have enough money for rent this month. I don't get any social welfare payments because I'm a student. I tried to get a loan from the credit union for my rent and bills this summer but they wouldn't give me anything because I don't have anyone to co-sign on it.

I probably won't be able to go to college in September because my grant payments probably won't start for months (which wouldn't be much anyway) and I'm down to about €400 in my account. I am figuratively up sh*t creek. I can't do anything about my situation, all I can do is complain about it which doesn't help considering I may be homeless once college starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mimirose

jesus sounds like a **** situation.. and i no what it is like to seriously struggle in college, would you try citizen's advice? and have you approached the college themselves? maybe they may be able to provide you with some help or some info about where to go to get some help! also have you a chaplain or some one similar in the college? could they help you suss out a job or a scholarship or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

mimirose wrote: »
    jesus sounds like a **** situation.. and i no what it is like to seriously struggle in college, would you try citizen's advice? and have you approached the college themselves? maybe they may be able to provide you with some help or some info about where to go to get some help! also have you a chaplain or some one similar in the college? could they help you suss out a job or a scholarship or something?

Not sure who you're talking to but there are so many of us struggling through college. I use to get so angry with people who got grants when I didn't.

Last year a girl in my class lied on her application and got a full non adjacent grant with the top up, a scholarship and a €2,000 bursary as well as availing of the SAF. She lived literally 3 minute walk from the college with her family and was making more than €200/wk, cash in hand, from a part time secretary job for her fathers business. Sorry for that rant but that seriously bugged me considering at one stage I went dumpster diving behind a tescos for some food (which sounds much worse than it is).

I've heard so many people with similar stories and I wish we could all get together to do something about it, though it would almost certainly lead nowhere. It's such a shame that grants make it so hard for those with family issues to apply. I know I'm not alone in saying that I know so many people under 23 that do not depend on their parents for income and it needs to be about time that the grants office made it easier for those people to apply.

I'm hoping that if I can explain my situation to the college in the first week back and get something from the SAF to help me through until my grant comes in. I want to continue doing maths grinds as well so if I get 3-4 (hopefully more) sessions a week I may be just about able to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Have you been on the dole at all? If so, you might qualify for the BTEA, which isn't means tested afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Kold wrote: »
    I don't qualify for the grant, am going into 4th year education and my parents cannot afford to fund me in college. On top of that I can't find a job. I'd really rather not have to take a second year out. Even if I got a part time job, I'm not certain I could earn enough to cover living. Desperate at this stage.

Contact your college and ask them how to apply for the student assistance fund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement