Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Caravan

Options
  • 06-08-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Is there any dealership in the West that sells second hand caravans? Or is there anyone people would recommned using (or avoiding??!)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Bought a nice one earlier in the year from a small-time dealer in Charleville. Can PM details if required. Otherwise check Donedeal.ie but take care.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

there's two in Balinasloe who sells campers, one's on the main road into Balinaloe from Galway, didn't have much & tbh we ran quickly..

the other one has a good range - 20 campers in stock - he's off the main road closer to the motorway, can't think of his name, caravans at the back of the house. My Da bought one from him this year, got a few thing's thrown in -cable, step, hitch lock. Very amicable to deal with & he drive it to Da's house (Mayo) as part of the deal with nothing amis.

Galwaycampers.com may have something?

Or between Balla & Castlebar, just after Balla Mart, there's a sign on a house, "caravans for sale"..

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I bought one off Cannaught caravans I think their called. What you see is what you get. We got a lovely one at a great price log book, previous history etc.

After sales service was appaling but he was significantly cheaper. Several makes very popular in Ireland can be refused entry or refused booking over the phone in Gt. Britan when they hear the model and make. We found this out the hard way when caravanning all over England. We used have to ring ahead and use the previous site people to vouch for us. Even then when they saw our silver crew cab, heard our Irish accents and saw the model we were towing we still could find it difficult upon arrival.
    One nice park in Kent explained everything in lay-man terms and with their advice and help we had a great holiday. Heated outdoor pool and all at the site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Alambra

What sort of model's are refused? I've heard dodgy stuff about connaught caravans since. Ex-flood caravans, etc. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Alambra wrote: »
    What sort of model's are refused? I've heard dodgy stuff about connaught caravans since. Ex-flood caravans, etc. Pity.

I heard that twin axels are generally viewed warily. As to specific models, I've only heard of Tabbards (sp.?) as being a classic traveller caravan.

I've been around parts of the UK and I find that if you just turn up and look respectable there's no probs (even when the car & caravan is out of sight).

• Advertisement

Our make which is a problem for some is a hobby, fendt was also on the list can't remember the rest but what they had in common was that they were generally the "best" with the most internal room and popular with traveller familys.
    Our first night off the ferry was spent very near Alton Towers and when we arrived the receptionist said as she looked out did nobody ask you when booking if you had a hobby?

Alambra wrote: »
    Flood problems are easy to spot. I see makes for sale in Éire that are cheaper than in Britan. Many are second hand and spotless. The main suppliers or importers of Hobbys in England can be very helpful if your worried about origin. They know who bought it first and can keep sketch for ones that are flagged etc..
    The well known Irish web site for second hand goods is good for price comparisons. If its your first buy bring an experienced caravanner with you or failing that we could open a thread '20 thing you should definately check before saying yea or nae to a caravan purchase'.
    1. Price comparison
    2. Condition of hitch
    3. Condition of tyres plus any spare (well over 300 euro on mine)
    4. Towing lights.
    etc etc etc.

Advertisement