Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scolia Flavifrons?

Options
  • 06-08-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭

I had the wits scared outta me yesterday by a flying insect which looked just like a female Scolia flavifrons.
    It didn't hang around long enough for me to get a photo, settling only for a few seconds on a branch, but was about 30-40 mm in length and of an orangeish colour. Very noisey in flight, much louder and rougher in sound than a wasp or bee.
    The nearest I can find in my Collins book is the aforementioned insect but from what i can tell, we don't have them in Ireland.

Has anybody any idea what else it could have been?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

A hornet possibly? Don't be too quick to discount anything not recorded in Ireland in reference books. These may not have been updated in recent years and all sorts of stuff is starting to appear over here - caused by climate change? For example, hairy hawkers weren't officialy recorded here prior to 2000, but now are quite common in some areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Possibly a Wood Wasp. Only possibly, mind!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

A what????

Scolia Flavifrons

Had to google that one:eek::D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Possibly a Wood Wasp. Only possibly, mind!

Sorry to revive this but I think you may be correct Maverick Quick Signboard.

I've got one in my kitchen right now and although about 10mm or so shorter than the 1st one, it may be the same type. This has a spine at its rear so may be a Horntail wood wasp.
    The body is black with orange legs. Bit scary looking but harmless, I am told.

Advertisement