Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen extension - exemption rules

Options
  • 06-08-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

We are looking at purchasing a 3bed terraced house. It was built approx 5 years ago and to the rear it has an L shaped kitchen diner. Our plans are to square off the kitchen and ideally extend out a bit further (say a couple of metres).

I read Schedule 2 of the planning regs so am comfortable that the proposed extension won't exceed the 40sqm. What concerns me is the requirement in respect to the private open space that must not be less than 25sqm. That seems like quite a lot considering that most existing gardens are postage stamps, well here in Dublin they are anyway. I was hoping to extend quite deep into the already paltry garden leaving only a small paved area.

Also how close can I build to the boundary walls with the neighbours on either side? Presumably we just extend out from the line of the existing kitchen which is roughly a few inches from the outside fence. Schedule 2, Clause 3, Column 2 I take to be referring to an above ground floor extension which is not our case?

Be interested to hear your views. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

basill wrote: »
    What concerns me is the requirement in respect to the private open space that must not be less than 25sqm.

Them's the rules! Quite simply if the rear open space is to be less than 25m.sq., you need to apply for planning permission.

You can build right up to the boundary walls to the side (as long as you do not have windows to the side).

Advertisement